The explorer's ring 4 is a reward for completing all the achievements in the Lumbridge achievements. It is an upgraded version of the explorer's ring 3, obtained from Ned in Draynor Village, and can be retrieved from him for free if lost.
The ring is currently the best offensive ring available to free players as it provides a bonus of 10 to all combat styles.
Casting 30 low alchemy, 15 high alchemy and 27 superheat gives 3,336 Magic experience per day (3,586 experience if you include 10 casts of Bones to Bananas). There is a small profit to be made turning bones into bananas depending on the staff equipped and runes used, for details see bones to bananas. If doing it only for Magic experience, add only one bone to inventory at a time as it turns ALL bones in inventory into bananas for only 25 experience per spell regardless of number of bones.
The ring's Superheat function can be used in the same ways with the exception that it will interrupt actions (such as fletching) when used unlike standard Superheat Item. If ring is used to Superheat an item while smithing, the Smithing activity will pause until the interface to select the item to superheat is closed and then it will resume.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
patch 14 January 2019 (Update):
- The superheat spell on the explorer's ring will now give both smithing and magic xp once again.
- patch 16 April 2018 (Update):
- If you have your Borrowed Power set to high alchemy you can now use the explorer's ring to high alchemy again.
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- Examine boxes now show up correctly in the bank interface and the explorer's ring alchemy interface.
- patch 5 January 2015 (Update):
- Some level 33 Defence requirements have been removed from functions on the explorer's ring.
- patch 10 November 2014 (Update):
- The 33 Defence requirement has been removed from the explorers' ring 3 and 4, as players only need to start and not complete Dragon Slayer to acquire the ring.
- patch 11 January 2012 (Update):
- The "You have already used your low alchemy charges" message will no longer appear when quickly switching between the Explorer's ring and another ring.
- patch 14 December 2010 (Update):
- The explorer's ring now gives warnings if trying to cast an Alchemy spell on a high value item.
- patch 9 November 2010 (Update):
- The explorer's ring 4 will now notify players when it has been recharged.
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- The explorer’s ring's High- and Low-level Alchemy and Superheat Item spells now use a different interface to prevent confusion while alching.
- patch 21 September 2010 (Update):
- Prevented alching of the explorer's ring.
- On the day of release a bug prevented the alchemy options to be cast twice at a fast pace. If a player were to use either of the ring's alchemy, they would have to wait until the casting animation was completely over before casting it again, otherwise they would be able to reactivate the spell but unable to actually choose an item to cast it on. This has been fixed.
- Since then there has been an update to alchemy spells that forces the player to wait for the entire animation of high or low level alchemy with or without the ring. However superheat item can still be cast at twice per animation but using the ring will only allow once per animation.
- The explorer's ring 4 had the ability to alchemise itself. The explorer's ring 2 and 3 became able to alch themselves too since the release of elite tasks, but the bug was fixed on 21 September 2010.
- Effective as of the 2 November 2010 update, the low alchemy, high alchemy and superheat interfaces have been reworked to make them much more user friendly.
- The explorer's ring 3 and 4 are used very often due to an unlimited teleport fairly close to a bank, deposit box, water source, milk seller, yew and elder trees, ivy, chickens and fireplace, as well as going directly into a cabbage patch which can be used for lots of free food. It's also used for herb running.
- When crafting any elemental runes, while not wearing the ring, the game will display the message: "If you were wearing your explorer's ring you may have earned more runes."
- The explorer's ring is not allowed on Entrana because the Monk of Entrana claim "its magic is too strong and may cause disruption in some areas."
- The explorer's ring alchemy option does not work in Asgarnian Ice Dungeon resource dungeon, where frost dragons reside.
- For free players this and the ring of kinship are the only in-combat escape rings. It also works in the Wilderness.
- Previously it was possible to attempt to cast bones to bananas without having any runes in your inventory.