Low Level Alchemy is a non-combat Magic spell used to convert an item into coins at the best general store price, normally 2/3 of the high alch value.
Since this spell has the same cost as High Level Alchemy when cast with a fire staff (1 nature rune) and since it produces less gold, most players view it as useless. The Grand Exchange Market Watch/Alchemy page lists the profit for buying items and using (High/Low) Alchemy, but generally it is impossible for Low Alchemy to generate a profit.
Low Level Alchemy has one advantage over its higher counterpart: unless a player casts it rapidly enough for it to queue, the spell will not disrupt certain training actions, like woodcutting, fishing, and mining. Thus, a player can simply fish, mine, or woodcut normally while simultaneously alching noted items. Alternatively, a player can speed up their training in those skills by low alching their fish, ores, or logs instead of dropping or banking them.
After finishing the easy set of the Lumbridge achievements, the explorer's ring 2 (or above) allows you to cast Low Level Alchemy 30 times a day without the use of runes (though Level 21 Magic is still required). You do get Magic experience for each cast, with 930 Magic experience daily at maximum. The ring is recharged every day.
Casting alchemy spells on stackable (or noted) items will only alchemise one at a time; on RuneScape Classic it alchemises the entire stack at once.
During the week of 4 April 2008, Jagex altered the way Low Level Alchemy and High Level Alchemy function so as to render them inoperable while standing inside the Barrows crypt areas.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 18 March 2019 (Update):
- Attempting to cast an alchemy spell on an unfinished smithing item will now return the correct message rather than the prior message which was inaccurate.
- ninja 7 August 2017 (Update):
- Alchemy values for low-level wands and orbs/books have been re-balanced.
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that was causing the animation for low-level alchemy to not play in certain situations.
- patch 7 March 2016 (Update):
- Players can no longer attempt to cast alchemy or superheat on NPCs.
- patch 22 February 2016 (Update):
- Augmented equipment now gives a warning when attempting to cast alchemy on it.
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- Feedback messages when attempting to use low-level and high-level alchemy without sufficient runes are now displayed more prominently.
- Dragging an item to the money pouch will now attempt to cast high or low alchemy on it. High alchemy is cast if you have sufficient level, first using a legendary pet's ability if available. If not, using the explorer's ring or the alchemist's amulet if available. Runes are used if neither of these are available.
- You can no longer cast alchemy in the sawmill.
- You can no longer cast alchemy during the big chinchompa D&D.
- You can no longer cast alchemy in the dominion tower arenas.
- Alchemy requires a bankpin check if you're casting it on high level items and you have the bankpin for high value drop setting on.
- The following items can no longer have alchemy cast on them:
- patch 24 August 2015 (Update):
- Players can now consistently alchemise quest point capes.
- ninja 3 August 2015 (Update):
- Players can now use the alchemy spells with the loot window open.
- patch 8 June 2015 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to cast Alchemy spells or craft protean hides while balancing on a Hefin serenity post.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- It is now possible to use the alchemy spells inside various instanced areas.
- ninja 26 August 2014 (Update):
- The animations for alchemy, super heat, enchant, charge orb, bones to bananas, and bones peaches have all been updated.
- patch 30 April 2013 (Update):
- Players can now use Alchemy spells inside private God Wars dungeons.
- patch 4 December 2012 (Update):
- Performing alchemy with a sheathed staff no longer uses the "staff" alchemy animation.
- patch 8 March 2011 (Update):
- Trying to alchemise with too many coins in your inventory will no longer drop coins to the floor.
- patch 20 December 2010 (Update):
- Casting alchemy spells while running will cause clipping issues with skillcapes less often.
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- The explorer’s ring's High- and Low-level Alchemy and Superheat Item spells now use a different interface to prevent confusion while alching.
- patch 21 September 2010 (Update):
- Prevented alching of the explorer's ring.
- The spell in the Dungeoneering spellbook was previously spelled "Low-level Alchemy" but has since been fixed. Experience is reduced to 3.1xp. (See Dungeoneering/Magic for more information.)
- Although there is a warning when you try to cast high level alchemy on an item worth over 500k in the Grand Exchange, there is no warning when you try to cast low level alchemy on one.
- If you attempt to cast Low Level Alchemy on a kitten, you will receive the message "You can't do that to a defenceless kitten!"