RuneScape:Historical information policy
The historical information policy describes the various types of historical information which should be included in content articles as the as the preferred format and placement of this information. The project was approved in Forum:Listing update histories on articles and discussed further in Forum:Listing update histories on articles v2.
RuneScape changes over time, and these changes are released in various forms: game updates, patch notes, hidden updates, hotfixes, coldfixes, promotions, etc. These changes can introduce new content and impact existing content both directly and indirectly. While the primary goal of any article is to document the subject's current state within the game, the wiki also has an interest in recording relevant historical information.
Classifying historical information[edit source]
Historical information can be classified into several categories. The table below describes these categories as well as the preferred treatment for each within content articles.
|Notable price changes||The price of Rune boots fell from 200,000 coins to below 100,000 coins within a week following the release of Dragon boots.|
|Direct updates||patch 8 May 2017 (Update): Bladed Dive can now be used for movement from the quinary action bar.|
|Promotional releases||Rainbow cape was re-released as part of Update:Treasure Hunter - Rainbow's End (2017) on 12 April 2017.|
|Metagame history||The popularity and potential experience rates of Abyssal demons increased considerably following the release of aggression potions on 8 August 2016.|
Historical information should be limited to these sections. Where there is existing historical information scattered throughout article text or placed in a dedicated
==History== section, it should be reorganised into the sections described here.
Direct updates[edit source]
Direct changes to a piece of content should be documented on the relevant article(s) as follows:
- Each change should be listed using the
template, including the initial release and hidden updates.
- When different types of updates happen on the same patch, these can be put in order of priority: Update > Ninja > Patch > Coldfix > Hotfix > Hidden - although unnecessary, per Forum:Update History - Type ordering.
- UL line items should be nested within the
==Update history==section header.
container template, which should be placed underneath an
- Update text need not be copied verbatim from news posts or patch notes - it should be wikified, typos should be corrected and it may be reworded for conciseness.
- The Update history section should be located near the bottom of the article, above the Trivia and References sections but below the Gallery section (if applicable) and all other sections.
- List items should be in reverse chronological order, with new updates being added at the top.
- The first indented lines should have the update list template, and the second indented lines should have the actual patches (see below for an example).
When the date of a hotfix is known, the
date parameter should be used and the
update should be left empty, a citation should also be added.
Promotional releases[edit source]
Many promotional items such as the Rainbow cape are released and removed frequently. These updates should not be placed under an Update history section. Instead, they should be listed under a
Release history section header, which should be located near the bottom of the article above the Update history, Trivia, and References sections (where applicable).
Templates should be used to replicate the release history of a given promotion across multiple pages. A list of available templates can be found under Category:Treasure Hunter release tables.
Price history[edit source]
It is natural for Grand Exchange prices of tradeable items to fluctuate in response to game updates or changes in supply and demand. In most cases, these price changes are not notable and should not be documented (and it is also infeasible to do so for all items in the game). However in a select few cases where the changes are particularly drastic or significantly impact the game economy, it is appropriate to include them in the article.
Price histories should be placed under a
==Price history== section header, which should be placed above the Release history, Update history, Trivia, and References sections (where applicable).
Metagame history[edit source]
Many updates which do not directly affect a given piece of content can have a major impact on its popularity or place within the metagame. This information should be placed under the Trivia section. Some examples include:
- Safecracking release on 30 April 2018 provided an alternative to pickpocketing Elven clan workers with similarly low intensity and higher experience rates.
- The Noxious staff was the most powerful staff in the game prior to the release of the Staff of Sliske on 27 June 2016.
- Shadow creatures became a popular Slayer task following the release of the Sunken Pyramid on 5 June 2017, which in combination with aggression potions allowed for significantly higher kill rates compared to Prifddinas.