The ectophial is a teleportation reward for completing the Ghosts Ahoy quest. It is described as 'a bright green vial of ectoplasm' and the Ectofuntus is said to be the source of its power. When used, the Ectophial provides an instant teleport to the Ectofuntus outside of Port Phasmatys. Multiple Ectophials can be claimed without cost from Velorina in the northern-most house in Port Phasmatys (the Ghostspeak amulet or cramulet is required to be able to speak to her unless the hard Morytania achievements have been completed). If lost, it can be reobtained at May's Quest Caravan after putting 150 quest points into the Hub Track. As with most teleports, it cannot be used beyond level 20 Wilderness.
Because the Ectophial is free, it can be regained unlimited times, takes only one inventory slot, needs only one click to activate, and the player cannot be damaged during its animation, it is also popular as an emergency teleport. Further, since it is always kept on death (except in the Wilderness), even a death from poison immediately after teleporting should not present too much difficulty.
The Ectophial's teleport animation
The Ectophial is also a valued teleportation item because it provides the only fast transport to the Port Phasmatys area, where there's a bank and a charter ship. An allotment, a herb patch, and a flower patch are also nearby, making the Ectophial a valuable tool for farmers. Furthermore, a fairy ring (code ALQ) is not far from the farming area, providing quick access to Zanaris and the fairy network if the player doen't yet have the TokKul-Zo. The Ectophial can also be used to save charges in the Drakan's medallion, since teleporting to the Ectofuntus first before operating the Drakan's medallion allows one to teleport with the medallion free of charge.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
ninja 30 April 2018 (Update):
- Teleporting with the Ectophial will no longer empty it.
- ninja 1 December 2014 (Update):
- Players are now able to obtain multiple ectophials.
- patch 7 February 2012 (Update):
- The Ectophial is now kept on death.
- patch 13 May 2010 (Update):
- Adjusted some of the offsets for the ectophial animation.
- patch 9 November 2009 (Update):
- Adjusted the animations when using the ectophial as a monkey.
- patch 6 May 2009 (Update):
- The sound effects should now be correctly synchronised with the ectophial teleport animation.
- patch 10 February 2009 (Update):
- Upon using the ectophial, you will now automatically attempt to walk to the Ectofuntus to refill it.
- 5 January 2009 (Update):
- Ectophial teleport changed to look like normal teleports, but with a slimy green colour instead of the normal blue teleport colour.
- Ectophial's "drop" option was replaced with a "destroy" option.
- Although the ectophial teleport description states "You empty the ectoplasm onto the floor...", it can not be refilled from the pool of slime, which is ectoplasm.
- Trying to use the ectophial on the Ectofuntus makes the nearby ghost disciples angry, but this wouldn't happen when it was empty.
- An update on 10 February 2009 added a feature wherein the ectophial automatically refills itself after use, instead of needing to be manually refilled. Players could leave their ectophial empty simply by walking away from the Ectofuntus immediately upon arrival in order to interrupt the refilling. However, an update on 30 April 2018 later made it so the Ectophial does not empty upon teleporting.