This article is about the spell. For the Seren prayer, see Superheat Form
Superheat Item is a non-combat Magic spell with two different uses. It can be used to smelt core ores into bars without a furnace, while it can also be used to re-heat an unfinished smithing item by 33% heat.
Casting this spell on ore creates only one bar, and it cannot be cast upon noted ores. The same Smithing level is required to superheat ore as the level required when smelting in a furnace. For example, 30 Smithing is required if you wish to superheat mithril ore and coal into a mithril bar. The ore amount required is the same as at a furnace. Smithing experience is also earned as if you were smelting the bar at a furnace.
If cast on coal with both an iron ore and mithril ore in the inventory, the higher level ore would be prioritised and a mithril bar would be created. The same applies to casting on luminite with both adamantite ore and runite ore available. In order to smelt the other intended bar, Superheat Item should be cast on the alternative ore.
Superheat Item cannot be used to make cannonballs, and casting the spell while mining will not interrupt the process of mining.
When you have an ore you want to smelt in your inventory while wearing smelting gauntlets in the Artisans' Workshop, you can cast superheat item on it to use ore from the ore bank and automatically deposit the resulting bar into the metal bank. Since superheat item can be cast every 3 ticks and smelting bars with a furnace takes 3 to 4 ticks depending on smithing level as opposed to 2 to 3 ticks when using Superheat Item, this can be a faster method of making bars than using a furnace as well as easier than superheating next to a bank.
Since casting Superheat Item doesn't interrupt actions, you can make bars while training other skills. For example, you can train fletching or herblore whilst casting Superheat Item to make some profit. You can even smelt at a furnace while casting Superheat Item simultaneously to make bars at an even faster rate. It also works while smithing items.
The data in this table is based on the current Grand Exchange prices, assuming all the ore and nature runes are bought from the Grand Exchange and the bar is sold afterwards.
|Type of bar
||Profit / Magic xp
||Profit / Smithing xp
Don't forget to wield a staff of fire, or other staff that provides unlimited fire runes such as an elemental battlestaff, fire battlestaff, mystic fire staff, lava battlestaff or steam battlestaff.
Adding Superheat Item to an action bar slot can speed up the process greatly, especially when using a keybind to access the action bar. When using the action bar, repeatedly casting the spell on the last ore in the inventory (most bottom-right slot) will start creating bars from the top, so you will not need to move your cursor to each ore individually, saving some time.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- You can once again cast Superheat Item on iron ores.
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- You'll no longer lose more bars than intended when casting Superheat Item.
- Casting Superheat Item now works as expected with smelting gauntlets.
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- The smithing skillcape gives a smithing buff whenever the item is reheated. This is especially effective (but expensive) with the Superheat Item spell.
- patch 7 March 2016 (Update):
- Players can no longer attempt to cast alchemy or superheat on NPCs.
- ninja 26 August 2014 (Update):
- The animations for alchemy, super heat, enchant, charge orb, bones to bananas, and bones peaches have all been updated.
- patch 18 March 2013 (Update):
- You can now use the Superheat Item spell on an obsidian shard stack to smelt an obsidian bar without the need of a furnace.
- patch 21 September 2011 (Update):
- The Superheat Item and Plank Make spells now interrupt the Home Teleport spell.
- patch 1 February 2011 (Update):
- If you cast Spellbook Swap (lunar spellbook), then cast this spell on jogre bones, you will now be correctly swapped back to the lunar spellbook.
- patch 2 November 2010 (Update):
- The explorer’s ring's High- and Low-level Alchemy and Superheat Item spells now use a different interface to prevent confusion while alching.
A player failing to cast Superheat Item, a result of the spell being attempted on a non-ore item
- Prior to the Mining and Smithing rework, Superheat Item confer ring of forging's effect when smelting iron ores into iron bars, which it no longer does.
- It is recommended to have an item equipped such as a Staff of Fire to help reduce the relatively high cost of 4 Fire runes required for the spell
- A graphical glitch may occur when using this spell multiple times in a row or if you cast it again before you have finished the first cast in which the animation occurs, without the player moving their arms. This glitch is prevalent in many other manually operated, repeatable spells including High level alchemy and jewellery enchants.
- The name Superheat Item is a misnomer because in physics, superheating is the phenomenon in which a liquid is heated to a temperature higher than its boiling point, without boiling. Technically smelting an ore into a refined form does not superheat the item.
- Explorer's ring 4 can be used to cast this spell for free 27 times each day.
- Attempting to cast Superheat item on a non-ore object will result in the message Superheating that item doesn't do anything.
- If you try this spell on an Elemental ore, then it will result in the message Even this spell is not hot enough to heat this item.