|Release date||14 July 2008 (Update)|
|Examine||He looks like a professional explorer.|
|NPC ID||7969, 13295|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Explorer Jack is a professional explorer and taskmaster found in his house just west of the Lumbridge General Store. He starts the Lumbridge achievements, with talking to him being one of the beginner achievements. The beginner achievements reward, explorer's ring 1, is also obtained from him.
Jack pays adventurers in coins for completing Area Tasks achievements to an unspecified specific limit, which can be received by talking to him or right-clicking Claim-rewards. However, explorer's ring 1 can only be claimed by talking directly to him, and its upgrades cannot be claimed before this is done.
Before the Achievements rework of 18 April 2017, the tutorial tasks would also reward coins. However these tutorial tasks were removed with that update lowering the amount of completed achievements meaning players have less completed achievements than they had previously, so Jack cannot give money until the player has caught up back to where they were before the update. In this scenario it is possible that players will not receive any money if they completed the previous total amount of tasks minus the amount of tasks that were removed.
History[edit | edit source]
Raising a dragon[edit | edit source]
Jack featured briefly in the old tutorial, Unstable Foundations, where the player reached Lumbridge's surface by mining through a wall in Roddeck's enormous cellar, which led to Jacks, and then climbing up a ladder into his house. Roddeck explained that Jack is "an understanding chap; he won't mind us walking through his house," and indeed, Jack expressed a lack of concern and even amusement at the players explanation of what happened with Roddeck's pet dragon.
Exploration of the Land of Snow[edit | edit source]
Jack is the start of the Myths of the White Lands quest, in which he asks the player to collect some "riches" from the Land of Snow, of which he was informed of by Marius, a passing Snow imp. He tells players to talk to an acquaintance of his, a wizard named Isidor, in order to get to the Land of Snow.
After the player retrieves the "riches" from a Yeti lair, Marvin, Barry and Marius appear, telling the player that they were playing a prank on Jack, and the "riches" are in fact yeti dung. The player then has the choice of going on with the prank, or telling him the truth.
Either way, Jack takes the prank with good humour, and rewards the player regardless. If the player talks to Explorer Jack fifteen minutes later, he will reveal that he sold the stones to a passing witch, and gives you 5,000 coins as your share of the profit.
The Battle of Lumbridge[edit | edit source]
Jack's house was damaged heavily by Saradomin and Zamorak when they returned to Gielinor at the start of the Sixth Age, forcing him to flee his house, moments before it collapsed. He was then helped to his feet by his neighbour, Hank, whose house was also destroyed. Not wishing for the gods to beat him, he made a cup of tea, and returned to his duties as taskmaster, continuing to do so as the Battle of Lumbridge raged on outside.
During the Lumbridge Rebuildathon, his house was repaired by Foreman George, his crew of builders, and the adventurers of Gielinor. During the repairs, he camped in a tent just outside his house, but has now returned inside. He rewarded those who assisted the builders in rebuilding his house with a replica of his helmet.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 22 May 2017 (Update):
- Explorer Jack now once again hands out rewards for completing area achievements.
- patch 13 December 2011 (Update):
- Claiming no coins from Explorer Jack no longer displays a "0 coins added" animation to the money pouch.
- patch 16 February 2010 (Update):
- Items placed on tables in the Blue Moon Inn and Explorer Jack's house would float.
- patch 10 August 2009 (Update):
- Achievement Diary characters gave out-of-date information about where the diary interface is found.
- patch 10 February 2009 (Update):
- Explorer Jack is a little more responsive when you use items on him that he doesn't want.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- According to Explorer Jack, the explorer's ring's run recharge ability is charged by the sun.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Chaose's Twitter account. 3 November 2014. (Archived from the original on 4 November 2014.) Mod Chaose: "All of them, not only Lumbridge & Draynor"
- ^ Jagex. Mod Chaose's Twitter account. 25 March 2021. (Archived from the original on 25 May 2021.) Mod Chaose: "Correct, only for Area Tasks and only just to a specific limit."
- ^ Mod Shogun. . Reddit. 22 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 24 May 2017.)