|Also called||The Golden City|
|Release date||26 April 2005 (Update)|
|Accessible since||5 June 2017 (Update)|
|Points of interest|
|No. of banks||6 (various locations)|
|No. of altars||1|
|No. of small obelisks||1|
|Leader||The Pharaoh, Osman|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Menaphos, also known as the Golden City, is a city located far south in the Kharidian Desert. It became an accessible in-game area on 5 June 2017. Accessing the city requires partial completion of The Jack of Spades quest, which is started in Al Kharid by speaking to Emir Ali Mirza in the Al Kharid palace. To access all of its available content, the quests Icthlarin's Little Helper, Dealing with Scabaras, Missing My Mummy, Do No Evil, and Spirits of the Elid have to be completed, and levels 88 Slayer, 73 Hunter, 72 Fishing, and 50 Agility, Construction, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Prayer, Runecrafting, and Thieving have to be achieved.
The city was released alongside four accompanying quests, The Jack of Spades, Crocodile Tears, Our Man in the North, and 'Phite Club. More lore is revealed throughout City Quests, where Menaphos citizens ask the player to assist them.
A reputation system gives rewards for each of the four sectors of the city. A faction can be selected by clicking the progress icons that appear while in Menaphos.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- The Menaphos lodestone teleports players directly to the centre of the city.
- If the Menaphos lodestone hasn't been unlocked yet, players can teleport to the Bandit Camp lodestone, then run south.
- The magic carpet system can be used to travel to the gates of Menaphos.
- The Camulet can teleport players to Enakhra's Temple, which is underground just north of Menaphos.
- Players can also travel to Sophanem first. Any forms of transportation that originate within Sophanem require completion of Icthlarin's Little Helper.
- A bridge connects Sophanem and Menaphos, but it is inaccessible from the Sophanem side if the player hasn't completed the quest 'Phite Club.
- Exit Sophanem from the north gate, run north and cross the River Elid, run south, and enter Menaphos through its north gate.
- Alternatively, after exiting Sophanem, take the magic carpet to Pollnivneach, then take another carpet trip to Menaphos.
Imperial district[edit | edit source]
- The nature's sentinel outfit can teleport players to the acadia trees in the Imperial district.
- The sceptre of the gods can teleport the player directly to the Golden Palace (Jalkabir) in the Imperial district.
- A fairy ring (CKQ) is located near the fountain behind the Golden Palace.
- Wicked hood teleport to soul altar
Port district[edit | edit source]
- The player can speak to Quartermaster Gully on any of the islands in The Arc to return to Menaphos, but only if their starting point was Menaphos.
- The player can use the captain's log to teleport to the Player-owned port and then exit the portal to get to the port district, but only if they had visited the Player-owned port via Port district the last time.
- A player-owned house portal is in the Port district, north-east of Kags.
- A Charter to the north-western dock in the Port district for 1,500 coins.
- Slayer codex teleport and the boat to Menaphos can be used via Portmaster Kags.
Between districts[edit | edit source]
Travel between the four districts of Menaphos can be simplified by using a right-click interface on the entrance of the Shifting Tombs found in each district.
Prior to an update on 3 July 2017, a right click would give the option of "Quick travel Shifting tombs". Five options were available including entering the Shifting Tombs and quick travel to the entrance of each district's Shifting Tombs entrance.
Features[edit | edit source]
Menaphos is a mid-level hub city like Prifddinas, with skilling methods offering higher rewards coming at a greater risk. The city is made up of four main areas, each being roughly the size of Port Sarim, arranged around a pyramid and plaza.
Skilling in the city introduces several new skilling resources, including:
- Acadia trees at level 47 Woodcutting
- Pickpocketing marketeers and thieving from lamp stalls at level 46 Thieving
- Desert soles, catfish, and beltfish with 52, 60, 72 Fishing and Cooking, respectively
- Mineral deposits at level 50 Mining (Level 1 Clay, not gaining reputation)
- Plover birds at level 73 Hunter
Menaphos is plagued by Amascut, who is controlling the city's leader, The Pharaoh, and causing destruction while searching for her father, Tumeken. In the process, the Tombs of Menaphos have been revealed, and can be explored by playing Shifting Tombs, a minigame where the player can explore to try and complete objectives. A large amount of experience will be gained for completing the objectives, and far less will be awarded if the player does not.
The Menaphos journal lists some tasks that can be completed for the library.
Completing most content in Menaphos unlocks the title. For the requirements see Sandy.
Merchant district[edit | edit source]
The Merchant district is located in the north-east area of Menaphos, accessed through the main doors to the city. There are the city doors to the north, the Worker district to the west, and the main plaza and Lodestone to the south. Its Faction leader is Grand Vizier Ehsan (Merchant). It features:
- Grand Vizier Ehsan (Merchant) and Grand Vizier Hassan in the south-western corner of the district.
- Assistant Librarian Subotai next to the bank deposit box near the centre of the district, who can give the player the Menaphos journal.
- Urluk the camel warrior near the centre of the district, who gives the Palapa Cape for participating in activities around the city.
- Several Menaphite marketeers for pickpocketing.
- A silk stall, Gem Trader, lamp stall, general store, fish stall, Nefertari's Bread Stall, and Loyalty Programme Shop run by Wafa in the eastern market.
- An entrance to Shifting Tombs in the centre of the market.
- The Merchant district musician outside the entrance to Shifting Tombs.
- Azibo, who stores Treasure Hunter and holiday items, similar to Diango in Draynor Village, can be found in the south-east part of the market place.
- Bank stalls and access to the Grand Exchange after completion of The Jack of Spades in the south-east.
- A bank deposit box unlocked at Tier 2 Merchant reputation and a bank chest unlocked at Tier 6.
- A Summoning obelisk north of the lamp stall.
- A shoe store run by Qaseem, just north of the market place.
- Several water sources and various NPCs.
Imperial district[edit | edit source]
- Commander Akhomet (Imperial) at the bottom of the stairs to the Golden Palace.
- Twelve acadia trees, eight in the main courtyard and four within the VIP skilling area to the north.
- The VIP skilling area, unlockable at Tier 7 Menaphos reputation.
- Entrance to the Golden Palace throne room with The Pharaoh, Ambassador Jabari, and other NPCs.
- Entrance to the Grand Library of Menaphos, with Kohnen the librarian and the sundial for the Golden Path Challenge.
- A bank deposit box unlocked at Tier 2 Imperial reputation and a bank chest unlocked at Tier 6.
- An entrance to Shifting Tombs in the southern side of the district.
- Residential terraces to the south-west of the Golden Palace, with ranges, the Imperial district musician, and various citizens.
- A cactus patch north-east of the Golden Palace. This patch must be created before use.
Port district[edit | edit source]
- 'Admiral' Wadud (Ports) in the Golden Scarab Inn at the center of the district. Serves Squeck juice for 10 coins.
- Makhredrup and Raja the Acheron mammoth near the stairs into the district.
- Meena's Fishing Shop near the stairs into the district.
- Quartermaster Gully and the crew for travel to The Arc and Uncharted Isles on the north-eastern docks.
- Two fishing spots for Desert sole, Catfish, and Beltfish at the south-eastern docks.
- A Bank deposit box unlocked at Tier 2 Port reputation and a Bank chest unlocked at Tier 6.
- Furnaces, anvils, spinning wheels, and looms around the centre of the district.
- The Golden Scarab Inn, with 'Admiral' Wadud (Ports), the Pub musician, and a bartender.
- An entrance to Shifting Tombs south of the Golden Scarab Inn.
- A Player-owned port portal on the southern dock.
- Trader Crewmembers on the north-western dock.
- The Port district musician on the western residential terrace.
- Portmaster Kags who runs a ferry to Pollnivneach, Sunken Pyramid, Nardah, Heart of Gielinor, Dominion Tower, Crondis's pyramid, Exiled Kalphite Hive and the Jalsavrah Pyramid on the south-western dock.
- A Player-owned house portal on the docks beside Portmaster Kags.
Worker district[edit | edit source]
- Batal (Worker) near the centre of the district, next to the bonfire.
- A quarry with mineral deposits and clay rocks.
- A furnace, anvil, bonfire, and pottery oven around the centre of the district.
- The Worker district musician next to the bonfire.
- A Bank deposit box unlocked at Tier 2 Worker reputation and a Bank chest unlocked at Tier 6.
- An entrance to Shifting Tombs in the south-west of the district.
- A water source outside the entrance to Shifting Tombs and various NPCs.
- A range to the south of the district.
- Stairs leading down to the beach, lined with tents, boats, and an altar.
Main Plaza[edit | edit source]
The Main Plaza is in the centre of the city, with the Merchant district to the north, Imperial district to the west, and Port district to the south. There is no associated faction to this area. It features:
- The Menaphos Lodestone.
- A gate to the bridge over the River Elid to Sophanem.
- Coenus the gatekeeper.
- Several Menaphite guards.
- Several Menaphite citizens.
- A large statue of The Pharaoh.
- Challenge Mistress Rashida, who can be found north-east of the Lodestone, gives out Daily Challenges similar to Challenge Mistress Fara.
- An Impling collector on the east side of the statue of the Pharaoh, who can allow players that have obtained rank 4 in the overall Menaphos reputation to toggle which implings and Guthixian butterflies they want to have appear.
Quests[edit | edit source]
The following quests may be started in Menaphos:
Distractions and Diversions[edit | edit source]
- Soul obelisks - a dangerous activity that yields up to 20,000 reputation daily, along with Runecrafting and Prayer experience.
- Jewels of the Elid - activity is started by talking to Assistant Librarian Subotai in the Merchant district. For finding all jewels listed in the Menaphos journal the player is rewarded a Jewelled Scarab pet and a reputation reward in the form of the precious rhinestone cow.
- Cats of Menaphos - activity is started by talking to Assistant Librarian Subotai in the Merchant district. Finding all of the cats listed in the Menaphos journal unlocks the Cat hat cosmetic override and a reputation reward in the form of the Purrn of previous postcat.
- Insects of the Desert - activity is started by talking to Assistant Librarian Subotai in the Merchant district.
- Corrupted Scarabs - a dangerous activity that yields reputation and Slayer experience. They appear around Shifting Tombs entrances and outside the Sophanem Slayer Dungeon.
- Gullible tourist - Appears on certain worlds on the southern dock in the ports district. Their pockets can be picked to obtain a Menaphite gift offerings.
History[edit | edit source]
The Second Age saw a rise in power of the Menaphites, a group of humans that had settled in the Kharidian Desert during the dawn of humanity. The Menaphites played large roles in the construction and management of numerous settlements within the desert, including Sophanem, Ullek and Uzer.
The God Wars that scarred Gielinor during the Third Age brought great battle to the Kharidian Desert. Uzer was destroyed by the Elder-Demon Thammaron and Ullek fell shortly afterwards to Balfrug Kreeyath. To worsen matters, exiled followers of the fallen god Zaros were forced into the desert, where they wreaked havoc amongst the local populace. The only surviving cities were Menaphos and Sophanem, which were, at the time, little more than small Menaphite camps. The refugees from the destroyed settlements fled to Menaphos and Sophanem, where they contributed to the cities' prosperity. By the Fourth Age, the twin cities were amongst the largest in the world.
Senliten was the first known ruler of Menaphos, and later on, her son Osmumten ruled. However, the Pharaoh's ancestors soon assassinated him, and began their illegitimate rule. By the Fifth Age, the Pharaoh was the ruler of Menaphos. He wished to undo the sins of his mother, the previous Pharaoh, but soon became corrupted by Amascut to do her bidding.
Menaphos held a large deal of political power within the Kharidian Desert, being the only city with any real strength; the only other settlements were small towns and camps such as Nardah and Pollnivneach. Menaphos went to war with Al Kharid for some time, but little is known of this.
After the end of the Menaphos - Al Kharid war, it was believed that Menaphos would open its gates to the rest of Gielinor. This, however, was not the case, due to the many plagues set upon Sophanem by Amascut. To prevent the spread of the plague, Menaphos closed its gates immediately. Many of the citizens of Sophanem were trapped inside, and any attempts by the Sophanites to negotiate with Menaphos were met with violence.
The city's closure was met with a great deal of resistance from the city's slaves, who rioted when they discovered that the slaves in Sophanem were no longer working because of the plagues. The riots were stamped out by the city's guards quickly.
Reports show that the city is cutting off ocean-based trade in the Southern Sea, suggesting that the city is attempting to become more independent.
Menaphos has made attempts to put one of their own leaders on the throne of Al Kharid under the guise of offering stability to the city while the Emir and Prince Ali are absent, including assassinating the Emir and kidnapping the prince. These attempts have failed, however. Amascut has revealed herself to be influential in these events, and it is unknown to what extent the pharaoh of Menaphos is aware of her involvement. Sometime later, the Pharaoh was overthrown and killed by Osman, Al Kharid's former spymaster and the true heir to the throne. Even though Osman stated that he would try to bring the city back to its rightful place, he has apparently done nothing, as stated by the menaphite beggars.
Due to the lack of combat and supposed fears of corruption, the Menaphite Guard have seen a large number of their soldiers desert. Several soldiers have turned into banditry, while a larger group led by a captain sailed to the Eastern Lands to escape the corruption beneath Menaphos and ended up working with the Acolytes of Seiryu due to their similar ideals.
Pre-release[edit | edit source]
Just before Menaphos was released, Jagex launched pre-release material:
- The Menaphos Insiders programme.
- The release of a website dedicated to Menaphos on 24 April.
- Addition of the in-game sundial teaser on 24 April and associated Golden Path Challenge.
- Competitions including naming of the Menaphos pub  and creation of a player-written book for the Menaphos library.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art of Menaphos' skilling area, as revealed by Menaphos Insiders
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- When completing a Menaphos city task for killing a specific creature, killing any creature that is not part of the current task will no longer produce the message "you have killed enough [Creature killed] for [person]"
- ninja 11 June 2018 (Update):
- Removed the Menaphos gift box login as the week bonus is now over.
- Logging into certain item restricted areas will no longer cause the Menaphos birthday gift box to be lost.
- patch 4 June 2018 (Update):
- A Menaphos gift box is awarded on login to players who have completed Jack of Spades to celebrate Menaphos' 1st birthday.
- Soul obelisks and Scarabs now spawn at double the rate, until July 4th.
- The water fountain in Menaphos leading to the soul altar now correctly displays a water source icon
- patch 26 February 2018 (Update):.
- Existing and future White Wolf Mountain scan clues have now been replaced with Menaphos scan clues. These have a range of 30 paces.
- patch 15 January 2018 (Update):
- The deposit box in the Menaphos bank will no longer prevent a player from trying to travel to another booth.
- ninja 25 September 2017 (Update):
- An additional clay rock has been added to the Menaphos dig site to help with Menaphos pottery oven runs.
- patch 3 July 2017 (Update):
- A number of spelling and grammar errors in the Menaphos content have been fixed.
- Some patches of grass have been removed from Menaphos.
- patch 26 June 2017 (Update):
- patch 19 June 2017 (Update):
- Menaphos district houses containing cats now unlock at tier 5 reputation.
- Players can no longer enter Menaphos district houses without the correct reputation tier.
- Pets received in Menaphos will now function correctly on free-to-play worlds.
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- Missing blocking has been added to the pillars and gates southeast of the Menaphos lodestone.
- A buff icon has been added, which displays when you are receiving the 5% XP boost in the city of Menaphos and the Sophanem Slayer Dungeon.
- Your favourited faction in Menaphos is now reflected in the small overlay interface.
- Water icon is now visible again on the minimap for Imperial District.
- Tweaks have been made to ensure that concentrated sandstone in Menaphos always has at least one deposit open.
- The reputation gained whilst on and off task in the Sophanem slayer dungeon has been increased.
- The reputation received when completing a city quest has been increased.
- Retroactively, for any city quests you have completed prior to this update you will be given the reputation reward for them when logging in.
- Certain NPCs and Locs will no longer disappear after completion of the 'Our Man in the North' quest.
- A Quest Journal typo for The Jack of Spades quest has been fixed.
- Danlozep now gives directions to the correct location when on a city quest.
- Added missing blocking to plant pots in Menaphos.
- Players will now correctly be sent back to Menaphos when exiting the Ports portal, if they had previously entered from there.
- After using the Menaphos lodestone, the right-click previous destination now displays Menaphos.
- Players can now use the tackleboxes to store and teleport the raw beltfish, raw catfish and the raw desert sole.
- Joining a friend in Menaphos via the Friends List (if you're eligible) should now correctly teleport you to the Menaphos lodestone.
- The Scorpion pet will now spawn in accessible locations.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Duke Horacio references a non-existent book called The Menaphosian Candidate during the Cryptic Clue Fest II.
- ^ Mod Shauny. "Menaphos Trailer & Site." 24 April 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Menaphos Quiz & Competitions." 27 April 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Matthe. "For the Librarian Competition." 31 March 2017. Events and Competitions Forums.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Menaphos is an anagram of Sophanem, being spelt nearly backwards except for the ph being swapped for ease of pronunciation.
- It is probably based on the ancient Egyptian capital city of Memphis. It could also be based on Alexandria, an Egyptian port which also contained a grand library.
- Due to an update on 26 September 2012 the full city of Menaphos was filled in on the World Map.
- After an update on 9 August 2011, one was able to open the northern gate to Menaphos, however, one could only move one game square into the city. This has since been patched.
- Players (including ironmen) received 5% extra experience for all experience gained in the city until 5 August 2017. This boost also worked in Sophanem's surface areas and the banking area, and in Sophanem Slayer Dungeon.
|Menaphite gift offering|
|Golden Path Challenge|
|Countdown to Menaphos|
|Towns and cities|
|Points of interest|