A memory strand is an item obtained by training Divination outside Daemonheim. It is used along with various amount of Divination energy to charge engrams, which are unlocked by completing Memorial to Guthix. Up to 10,000 memory strands can be kept in the currency pouch. If you have some Memory strands in your inventory and you reach the 10,000 cap in the currency pouch, it is not possible to attain more in your inventory.
After completing the Distraction and Diversion for the first time, Orla Fairweather will reward the player with 1,000 memory strands. Another three lots of 1,000 can be claimed after reaching level 99 in Divination, after reaching level 120 in Divination, and after reaching 200,000,000 Divination experience.
Wythien and the Motherlode Maw occasionally reward players with roughly 600 to 1,000 strands.
Players can hand memory strands for divination XP to Orla by right-clicking her after they have prestiged once. Every 1,000 strands exchanged gives the same experience as a medium XP lamp.
The strands also allow direct teleportation to the Memorial to Guthix north-west of the Eagles' Peak lodestone. The teleport can be used even when the player has no memory strands, but not while the player is in combat. It is an effective teleport to the bank chest in the area – not as close as a ring of duelling or TokKul-Zo, but is unlimited, does not take an equipment slot or inventory space, and has no requirements.
1,000 memory strands can be used to reset the timer on prestige perks by using "Unlock-selection" at the fountain of energy.
On average the player may expect to get 288 strands per hour without prestiging, but due to the randomness of how memory strands are obtained and the time spent on not actively gathering, one could get anywhere between 100 and 500 strands per hour. Without prestiging, strands can be obtained once per minute in batches of 17–31 strands at a time with a 20% chance. After prestiging, the upper limit increases by four each time, excluding the fourth prestige, causing players to obtain up to 47 strands per batch after prestiging five times. Unlocking the Seren boost in Hall of Memories increases both the lower and upper limits by five.
If the player cannot or does not want to pay constant attention while collecting strands, it is recommended to harvest ancestral energy on Uncharted Isles due to the ability to exhaust them without interruption. The player can also collect strands from positive and negative energy if the player doesn't wish to use supplies.
They can also be collected by foraging mushroom clusters in the arc if the player-owned farm totem perk of ram is active, at 75% of the normal rate.
As the player prestiges, the strands per hour should increase, on average. The data below have been estimated by Jagex staff.
||Strands per hour
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 1 October 2018 (Update):
- All players should once again find they can teleport using the memory strands from the currency pouch in the inventory and from the main currency pouch itself. Should this still not work, we recommend un-favouriting any memory strands you already have and re-adding it.
- patch 28 August 2018 (Update):
- Players can now use favorited memory strands to teleport to the Guthix memorial.
- ninja 18 June 2018 (Update):
- The message received when you have the maximum amount of memory strands stored is now filtered.
- patch 15 January 2018 (Update):
- Memory strands no longer display as rare tokens when made a favourite within the currency pouch.
- patch 29 August 2017 (Update):
- Memory strands once again have a teleport option when stored in the Favourites section of the currency pouch.