Ring of charos (a)
|Ring of charos (a)|
|Release||31 January 2005 (Update)|
|Quest item||Creature of Fenkenstrain|
|Destroy||The ring will return to Fenkenstrain, its owner. You'll have to pick his pocket again. You can also reclaim it from the quest storage chest.|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|The power within this ring has been activated.|
|FAQ • doc|
The ring of charos was once owned by a human named Charos, whose gift of speech allowed him to bend the wills of the weak-minded. He was aided by his magical ring. It seems that people who are powerful of mind, including vampyres such as Malak (He says while wearing the ring: "Don't think that silly little ring of yours will fool me") or Drakan, are not affected by the ring. The Wise Old Man is also immune to the power of the activated ring of charos.
If the ring is lost, pickpocket Dr Fenkenstrain to get another. He is located in the top middle tower in the castle in the Creature of Fenkenstrain quest. The player should note that after The Great Brain Robbery, he moves to the basement of the granary on Harmony Island. It can also be re-obtained at May's Quest Caravan after putting 150 quest points into the Hub Track. The ring cannot be reclaimed from a gravestone. It will still be activated when obtained.
Bonuses[edit | edit source]
|Accuracy||-||-||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|FAQ • docs|
Uses[edit | edit source]
Transportation[edit | edit source]
The Ring of charos (a) has the following uses for Transportation:
- Free boat trips between the Karamja, Ardougne, and Port Sarim ports.
- Free trips to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony (unnecessary after completion of Swan Song as travel becomes permanently free).
- Reduced cost for Magic carpets to 100 gp, or 75 gp once a task is completed for Ali Morrisane.
- Reduced Charter Ship costs (the prices are a half of the original price, or a quarter if Cabin Fever is completed).
- Free boat rides from Mort'ton to the middle of Mort Myre.
Quests[edit | edit source]
It can also be used for the following during quests:
- Used in The Great Brain Robbery (the unactivated version also works).
- Get the recipe for Asgoldian ale for free during Recipe for Disaster and the ability to do the quest again. (dwarf subquest)
- Can be used instead of a fish to bribe one of the penguins during Cold War.
- Cheaper snake charming kit in Pollnivneach for The Feud.
- Charm farmers to get various unique seeds for Garden of Tranquillity.
- Get the Dirty laundry during While Guthix Sleeps.
- Used on Ali Morrisane to obtain the original name of the Pharaoh Queen in Missing My Mummy.
- Used to convince Ali Morrisane to tell you the location of some lost goods during Do No Evil.
- An additional chat option to charm Milton the Miller during The Chosen Commander.
- Can be used in Heroes' quest instead of 1000gp when getting Master thief's armband solo as a Phoenix Gang member.
- Allows you to skip the section of avenging Lieutenant Crane's sister Tessa during Curse of the Black Stone.
Other[edit | edit source]
In addition, it can be used for the following:
- Dwarven Ferryman's fee for taking gold to bank near the Arzinian Mines reduced from 20% of gold ores to 10%
- Reduced Blast Furnace cost (for those with less than 60 Smithing)
- Ability to convince Brundt the Chieftain to change your fremennik name
- Ability to convince the Fossegrimen south-west of Rellekka into accepting bass in place of shark to charge your Enchanted lyre with 2 teleports
- Used to access the werewolf agility training arena. (Note: The unactivated version will grant this as well.)
- Sell grey wolf fur for 150 coins instead of 120 coins to Baraek in Varrock square.
- 50% Luke will tell the story of how he lost half of his body.
- During the 2006 Christmas event when speaking to Shanty Claws, he will say something like: "Oh, I didn't think I'd see another werewolf here."
- Get more information out of Movario and Darve.
- The residents of Canifis will think you are a werewolf and will be nice to you. (Note: The unactivated version will grant this as well)
- Choose the colour of your kitten from Gertrude.
- Wizard Elriss will tell more about her research in the Runecrafting Guild (Note: Any colour of the FULL Runecrafting Guild uniform must also be worn).
- Beefy Bill will bank your beef, cowhide, and flour for free.
- Junior Cadet Bertol would inform you of his membership in H.A.M.
- Can be used for prosecution in Court Cases for those with lower than 65 Attack. Also gives insight into jury members' backgrounds and motives on the jury selection screen.
- Though he's not weak minded, the Wise Old Man will tell you more about his partyhat.
- Skillcape sellers will ask for 92,000 coins instead of the usual 99,000 when buying a skillcape.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- The following items can no longer have alchemy cast on them: Ring of Charos (a)
- patch 19 May 2009 (Update):
- Improved the sound effects for dropping the Ring of Charos down the well and later retrieving it.
- Improved part of the Garden of Tranquillity so that the Fishing animation continues to play while you whistle along until you catch the Ring of Charos.