|Release||5 June 2017 (Update)|
|Destroy||If destroyed you can claim another codex from Faiza, located in the Order of the Slayer Masters.|
|Backpack||Read, Put in pocket, Teleport, Destroy|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|Keeps a record of all the Slayer monsters you have captured.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The Slayer Codex is the book used to record the souls of Slayer monsters that the player has captured. It is obtained from Faiza after achieving level 99 Slayer. The Codex is updated when a new creature's soul is captured in an ushabti and placed in the Chest of Souls, or when it is added to the player's personal Slayer Dungeon. Removing a monster from the slayer dungeon will not remove the soul from the Codex.
Souls added to the Codex award 250 base Menaphos reputation each. Additionally, every 20 souls added to the Codex add a 1% boost to Slayer experience gained while wearing the Slayer helmet, up to 5% for adding 100 souls. After 50 souls are added, the Codex can be used to teleport to the Sunken Pyramid. The teleport cannot be used in combat. New murals in the Sunken Pyramid are uncovered with 10, 30, 50, 70, 90, and 110 souls added.
The first ushabti of a creature that the player turns in gives them full experience, and the following ushabti of that same creature gives the player 25% experience. Turning in all souls at least once will complete the Slayer Codex, which will give a cumulative 2,079,750 Slayer experience.
There are currently 162 souls to capture. Capturing 110 souls completes The History of Slayer achievement which is a requirement for the master quest cape, and capturing all 162 completes the To Be a Master achievement which is a requirement for the trimmed completionist cape. Upon release there were only 146 creatures. Since then, 16 new Slayer creatures were released and have been added to the Slayer Codex.
The Codex can be viewed while wearing the Corrupted slayer helmet.
Book info[edit | edit source]
|Databox • Talk page|
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Accuracy||-||-||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|FAQ • docs|
Teleport[edit | edit source]
After submitting 50 unique souls, the Slayer Codex can be used to teleport to the Sunken Pyramid. This allows fast access to the Chest of Souls and Slayer Dungeon, as well as any of area accessible via Portmaster Kags. The teleport cannot be used during combat.
Slayer monsters[edit | edit source]
In order to fill the entire Codex, players will need level 117 Slayer (boostable) and level 115 Dungeoneering (which cannot be boosted). This does not include other requirements such as quests and tasks. You do not need to be on Slayer Task to collect souls unless this is required to kill the monster (e.g. Desert Strykewyrms).
For monsters that fall under one category, killing any non-boss monster will be eligible for the ushabti to capture its soul. The only exceptions to this are monsters which have their own individual categories for the purpose of the Slayer Codex, namely: gemstone dragons, stalker creatures, corrupted creatures, soul devourers, Lost Grove creatures, vile blooms, and dinosaurs, as well as ascension creatures, as the Legio bosses may be killed for a soul. When the ascension creature soul is captured, the tooltip will display "Ascension member", however when one uses the check option on the ushabti it will state exactly which member's soul is contained within. All monsters that fit in the small room will fit in the large ones as well.
Some monsters have multiple variants that can spawn in the player-owned dungeon; these are marked in the table below and each spawn of that monster is randomised.
Having soul devourers or corrupted creatures in the player-owned Slayer dungeon while having toggled on auto-loot in the chest in the Sophanem Slayer Dungeon does not affect the drops in the player-owned Slayer dungeon; the items will instead appear on the ground. Additionally, killing these monsters does not grant reputation within Menaphos, the corruption debuff is not received, and feathers of Ma'at are still required to complete the kill.
Monsters below use the altered Slayer level for the ushabti catch chance and experience reward. The experience reward earned is , and 1/4 of that upon repeat soul deposits. Repeated deposits do not yield Menaphos reputation.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- The History of Slayer ( 25) – Uncover all of the murals inside the Sunken Pyramid.
- To Be a Master ( 0) – Fully complete the slayer codex.
Update history[edit | edit source]
1 March 2021 (
- A cockroach has been added at position 161 in the Slayer Codex.
- ninja 9 November 2020 (Update):
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Fixed the Idle animations for the Lizard and Corrupted lizard in the slayer codex.
- patch 23 October 2017 (Update):
- The last mural for the Sunken Pyramid will now unlock at 110 souls captured instead of 90.
- patch 21 August 2017 (Update):
- Corrected the spelling of 'Dagganoth' to 'Dagannoth' in the Slayer codex.
- patch 26 June 2017 (Update):
- Players will now receive 250 reputation for each new slayer monster added to the Slayer Codex, and retroactively awarded 250 reputation for each already added.
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- The Slayer Codex no longer crashes you when viewing certain monster entries.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There are several monsters which are not in the codex despite being slayer creatures, including the TzHaar, likely due to their souls being trapped in Tokkul; 'rum'-pumped crabs, likely because they cannot be assigned as a Slayer task; and the Acolytes of Seiryu, including the anagami, arhat, sakadagami and sotapanna, likely due to their belief in reincarnation.
- A boosted Slayer level does not count towards the likelihood of getting a soul.
- Players who had monsters added to the Slayer Codex prior to 26 June 2017 were retroactively awarded 250 reputation for each monster.
- All grotworm souls are referred to as mature grotworm souls when deposited in the Chest of souls.
- Baby dragon souls appear as adult dragons in the Sunken Pyramid.
- Guard dog souls are referred to as wild dog souls.
- There was a glitch where only 90 rather than 110 souls were required for the master quest cape. It started on 4 September 2017 and was fixed seven weeks later on 23 October 2017.
- There was a glitch where an additional entry for vyrelords was added to the Codex. This was unintentional, as they share the same entry as vyrewatches. They could be added normally to the Chest of Souls and awarded experience and reputation. It started on 2 November 2020, after the ability to catch their souls was added to the game, so players could put them in their dungeons. It was fixed a week later, on 9 November 2020. No ushabties were refunded.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ TzHaar-Mej-Jeh, "The Elder Kiln", RuneScape. "When TzHaar die we turn into TokKul: small rocks with our memories trapped inside."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 6 June 2017. (Archived from the original on 16 October 2020.) Mod Daze: "No it goes off base level." In response to the question: "Do boosts to slayer level such as wilder pie add to the chances of getting a mob soul?"