Ourania Runecrafting Altar
|Release||18 September 2007 (Update)|
|Location||West of the Battlefield|
|Examine||An altar upon which to craft runes.|
|Object ID||? (edit)|
|doc • Talk page|
It converts pure essence into an assortment of random runes without a chance of bonus runes being created. The altar, which requires no talisman, tiara or staff to enter, gives double the normal experience for every rune crafted. However, the Abyss has since been given a 250% runecrafting experience modifier, increased to 350% with a demonic skull. Players do not need a specific Runecrafting level in order to craft at this altar, but the chance of crafting higher-levelled runes increases with a higher Runecrafting level.
Once inside the Ourania Cave, quickly reached by an Ourania Teleport, players may use a bank there that requires a payment of 20 runes of any type. They can then go to the altar by taking either a short and dangerous route or a longer and safe route. The long route has no monsters and has a crack at the end that requires no Agility level to use.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Casting Ourania Teleport requires 71 Magic and access to the Lunar spellbook, and places the player on the path to the altar entrance.
- Use Spirit trees option 3: Battlefield of Khazard to teleport to the Battlefield and walk south-west.
- Use Gnome glider option 7: Priw Gnomo Andralo to teleport to just outside of the Tree Gnome Village NW entrance.
- Use a 'Chipped' Watchtower teleport tablet to teleport to the Observatory and walk north.
- Teleport to the Ardougne Monastery with the Ardougne cloak 1, and walk north-west.
- Teleport to Castle Wars with the ring of duelling, and walk north from the lobby.
- Cast Ardougne Teleport, requiring 51 Magic and Plague City, which takes you to the East Ardougne marketplace, then head south-west.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
With the exception of Armadyl runes and Combination runes, the player is able to craft all runes that are available in the game regardless of whether or not they have the required level or quest requirements (including Soul runes). However, the higher the player's Runecrafting level, the higher-levelled the crafted runes will be. The experience here is double to what you would normally get for the runes.
The Ardougne cloak 2 (and higher) adds a chance of creating more runes in the Ourania Altar (rune output is increased by roughly 15%), though no extra experience is gained. Master runecrafter robes (the full set gives 5% more experience) will work here. However, they have a maximum boost of 700 experience per altar click or batch. Runecrafting gloves from Fist of Guthix will not work here, as the experience is already doubled.
Paths[edit | edit source]
There are two paths leading to the altar: a shorter, dangerous route, and a longer, safe route.
Longer route[edit | edit source]
This route is a long winding pathway. Once players reach the end of the path, they will have to squeeze through a small crack in the wall to reach the altar. The wall-crack shortcut has no Agility requirements.
Shorter route[edit | edit source]
The key is to stay light and protect against the warriors, mages, and rangers, who are aggressive and fight with all three styles, it is recommended to wear armour that boosts Defence against Magic, and activate Protect from Missiles (there is an altar just outside the cave). However, after the Evolution of Combat, the ZMI members do not do much damage; the run through them should not take more than 20 seconds, and even with 1 Defence and no armour, you should not take more than 1,500 damage total in one run (therefore possibly feasible even to level 3 skill pures if they bring several pieces of cheap food like trout). Remember to turn Auto Retaliate off, and set Right Click or Hidden in attack options of Combat Settings.
Recommended equipment[edit | edit source]
Here is a list of a recommended setup with downgradeable options:
Banking[edit | edit source]
Eniola will allow you access to your bank account in exchange for 20 of any one type of rune. Using cheap runes such as mind runes at 16 coins each is recommended. Due to an update, you no longer need to close the bank window to fill Runecrafting pouches with pure essence. Previously it was common to deliberately keep a full bank, so one could bank the various runes crafted without banking the pouches, but this is now unnecessary due to bank presets.
There are a few other methods of banking when Runecrafting at the Ourania Altar:
- Use the TokKul-Zo to teleport to any of the three "Fight" options. This is just as close to a bank as the Castle Wars teleport but does not use any charges on the ring. Note that it requires you to choose an option in a popup interface that can be interrupted when the Zamorak ranger near the altar is attacking you. This can be avoided by squeezing back through the gap into the long path.
- Moonclan Teleport, Tele-group Moonclan or home teleport to Lunar Isle with the Lodestone Network
- The ring of kinship will teleport to Daemonheim and has unlimited charges.
- The ring of duelling will teleport to the Castle Wars lobby.
- Use the games necklace to teleport to the Burthorpe Troll Invasion area and the Ourania Teleport spell to return to the altar. This is marginally cheaper than the ring of duelling, and just as efficient since the Loyalty Programme update placed a bank outside the Warriors' Guild.
- Memory strands can be clicked inside the currency pouch (if favourited) for teleporting to Memorial to Guthix site.
- Use a Crystal teleport seed or an attuned crystal teleport seed to bank in Prifddinas.
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 22 September 2014 (Update):
- It is now possible to craft runes at the ZMI Altar from a rune pouch if the player has no essence in their inventory.
- patch 9 November 2009 (Update):
- patch 9 September 2009 (Update):
- Fixed the attack range of the NPCs at Ourania Altar. This was a knock-on effect from an engine change last week.
- patch 12 May 2009 (Update):
- Improved the graphics and wall pieces that were occasionally not visible at the Ourania Altar.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ourania (Ουρανία), or Urania, was the muse of astronomy in Greek mythology (the name means "heavenly" or "of heaven" in Ancient Greek). This is significant considering the proximity of the grave of the astronomer Scorpius and the Observatory.