|Release||8 February 2010 (Update)|
|Burrowed: I'm pretty sure there's something under there.|
Above ground: Now that's just cold.
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|64 / 42 / 21|
4 ticks (2.4s)
|? (edit)||? (edit)||? (edit)|
|Immune||Not immune||Not immune||Not immune|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Ice strykewyrms are level 93 Slayer monsters. They can only be killed when assigned on a Slayer task or a slayer contract, with the exception of one kill needed to complete a Fremennik Elite Task, or if the player is participating in the Rush of Blood D&D. Players must complete The Tale of the Muspah before Slayer Masters will assign these creatures.
To be assigned ice strykewyrms, players must either own a fire cape or a TokHaar-Kal, or have purchased the ability to attack them without fiery items for 2,000 Slayer points. Players wearing a fire cape or its upgrades deal twice the damage to ice strykewyrms with fire-based spells. Without any of these, the strykewyrm will numb your hands and freeze the attack.
Like all strykewyrms, ice strykewyrms reside underground beneath mounds until provoked by a player with the necessary Slayer task. Slayer Masters claim that only those who have been assigned to hunt them may make them surface, due to the strykewyrm being able to smell the intent of the slayer. Players without the necessary task to kill strykewyrms will not be able to surface the strykewyrm and will instead perform the Think emote.
Players with a Mask of the White Wyrm can ask for an ice strykewyrm assignment every three days from Mandrith, Morvran, Kuradal or Laniakea. The mask confers the same damage boost as a regular slayer helm while on assignment, gives additional Slayer experience when killing ice strykewyrms, and grants additional drops every tenth kill.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Ice strykewyrm cave[edit | edit source]
11 ice strykewyrms can be found in the ice strykewyrm cave. The quickest way to get to the cave is to use fairy ring code DKS, which is just south of the cave they're located in. Players can also use the Fremennik Province lodestone and run north-east.
The ice strykewyrms are found in the chamber east of the entrance. If there is water coming through the mouth, the player must block the eastern stream in the cave north of where you entered, where Jhallan was frozen during The Tale of the Muspah.
To block the stream, hop across the flat rocks just north of the entrance, enter the cave opening to the north-west, jump across the flat rocks to the east (ignore this ice mound), jump across the flat rocks to the north-east, and click on the ice mound beside you to block the stream. Then head back to the entrance cave, hop back across the flat rocks, and head east into the ice strykewyrm cave.
Blocking the other streams in the middle cave are not necessary, but can be used to remove all water streams in the entrance cave.
Frozen Waste Plateau[edit | edit source]
Ice strykewyrms can be killed at the Frozen Waste Plateau in the Wilderness (level 45 - 48), just south of the fence gate. If the player is killing ice strykewyrms for a Slayer assignment or slayer contract at this location then they can gain 20% additional Slayer experience by equipping a demonic skull. This experience bonus stacks with slayer contract bonuses, meaning the player may gain 40% extra Slayer experience while on a task using a special slayer contract from Erskine. Completing a special slayer contract rewards the player with a choice of coins or combat experience.
Attack styles[edit | edit source]
Ice strykewyrms have four types of attacks: melee, magic, freezing spell and burrow. If the player is within one square of a strykewyrm, it will use any of the four attack types. At a distance, the strykewyrm mostly uses its magic attack but will occasionally use its freezing spell (which looks like Ice Barrage), which renders the player unable to move for around three seconds and cancels the player's next attack. Simply clicking the strykewyrm will resume attacking immediately.
The ice strykewyrm's strongest attack is when it burrows underground during battle and then pops back up, dealing up to 2000+ life points to the person it is fighting. There was an update to prevent other players from getting hit by the special attack of someone else's ice strykewyrm, however it still shows the animation of the player being thrown out of the way without losing life points. The strykewyrm becomes invulnerable during this time, so attempting to attack it while it is burrowed is futile. This attack can be easily avoided by quickly moving two steps away in any direction. The further away the player is from the strykewyrm when it burrows (such as when maging from a distance), the easier it is to avoid this attack. It can also use the burrow attack if a player walks into its square and stays there for a couple of seconds, so it is recommended not to do this. The strykewyrm will not use the burrow attack if the player is standing next to an obstacle, such as the cave wall or a stalagmite.
Strategies[edit | edit source]
Despite the fact that a Slayer level of at least 93 is required in order to damage them, these creatures have low defence and may be killed fairly easily.
Ice strykewyrms are weak to fire spells. Players are advised to kill them by casting Fire Wave or better using a staff, such as a crystal staff or better, and Magic power armour, such as robes of subjugation. A full slayer helmet (or an upgraded variant) should also be worn. Alternatively, players may cast Blood Burst/Barrage if they find that they need to heal, although is unlikely to be necessary. In order to damage ice strykewyrms, players must have a Slayer level of 93 or higher and be wearing a fire/kiln cape (preferably a TokHaar-Kal-Mej), unless they have purchased the ability to damage them for 2,000 Slayer points (which is not recommended, as wearing a fire cape or equivalent also increases all damage dealt to ice strykewyrms). Weaker players may wish to bring an emergency teleport and/or food, such as sharks. It is possible to kill a single ice strykewyrm for the elite Fremennik achievement First Stryke without a fire cape or unlocking the ability to kill them. Level 65 or better armour, high-healing food, several summoning potions to recharge the familiar special move bar, and scrolls for your familiar's special attack are suggested.
Because they are not aggressive, players can use the Regenerate ability after a kill to heal, the drawback being the extra time that requires. Use of Regenerate, shark drops, enhanced excalibur, the Sacrifice ability, the Soul Split curse or a healing familiar can eliminate the need to bring food.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Charms[edit | edit source]
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 74,775 kills.|
1 charm is dropped at a time.
Main drop[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Medium bladed mithril salvage||1||Common||5,472||1,800|
|Large bladed rune salvage||1||Rare||31,034||32,000|
|Staff of light (m)||1||1/512||750,102||57,000|
|Crushed nest (m)||5–9 (noted)||Common||8,055-14,499||0|
|Super defence (3) (m)||1||Common||7,308||158|
|Magic logs||5 (noted)||Common||2,195||960|
|Runite stone spirit||1||Common||497||Not alchemisable|
|Rare drop table||1||Common||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Grimy guam||2 (noted)||Common||994||36|
|Grimy marrentill (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||6,244||0|
|Grimy tarromin||2 (noted)||Uncommon||150||0|
|Grimy harralander (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||654||0|
|Grimy ranarr (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||4,450||0|
|Grimy irit (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||9,318||0|
|Grimy avantoe (m)||2 (noted)||Uncommon||2,704||0|
|Grimy kwuarm (m)||2 (noted)||Rare||21,434||0|
|Grimy cadantine (m)||1 (noted)||Rare||2,082||0|
|Grimy lantadyme (m)||1 (noted)||Rare||9,122||0|
|Grimy dwarf weed (m)||1 (noted)||Uncommon||8,568||0|
|Water talisman||3 (noted)||Common||9,198||6|
|Cosmic talisman (m)||1||Rare||606||2|
|Chaos talisman (m)||1||Rare||1,478||2|
|Blood rune (m)||15||Common||10,485||1,650|
|Irit seed (m)||1||Rare||1,067||38|
|Tarromin seed (m)||1||Rare||154||4|
|Watermelon seed (m)||1||Uncommon||5,844||33|
|Cactus seed (m)||1||Rare||211||59|
|Ranarr seed (m)||1||Rare||1,207||11|
|Poison ivy seed (m)||1||Rare||100||99|
|Kwuarm seed (m)||1||Common||24,642||38|
|Toadflax seed (m)||1||Rare||762||20|
|Marrentill seed (m)||1||Rare||148||3|
|Jangerberry seed (m)||1||Uncommon||27||36|
|Harralander seed (m)||1||Uncommon||193||7|
|Wildblood seed (m)||1||Uncommon||65||8|
|Belladonna seed (m)||1||Rare||1,730||106|
|Lantadyme seed (m)||1||Rare||1,446||38|
|Snapdragon seed (m)||1||Rare||521||38|
|Whiteberry seed (m)||1||Rare||89||79|
|Bittercap mushroom spore (m)||1||Rare||2,331||51|
|Strawberry seed (m)||1||Uncommon||943||10|
|Limpwurt seed (m)||1||Uncommon||2,122||7|
|Maple seed (m)||1||Rare||1,946||28|
|Spirit weed seed (m)||1||Rare||4,444||10|
|Dwarf weed seed (m)||1||Rare||1,492||38|
|Avantoe seed (m)||1||Rare||589||38|
|Yew seed (m)||1||Very rare||16,996||85|
|Magic seed (m)||1||Very rare||90,696||253|
|Inert adrenaline crystal (m)||1 (noted)||Uncommon||21,568||2,400|
Tertiary drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard) (m)||1||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite) (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Spirit sapphire (m)||1||5/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Spirit emerald (m)||1||3/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Spirit ruby (m)||1||2/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1 (m)||1||Very rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2 (m)||1||Very rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3 (m)||1||Very rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Starved ancient effigy (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Court summons (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
- ^ With the comp cape rework in 2019, an apparent bug was introduced where they can be assigned even if these conditions are not met. See the discussion page for workarounds.
- ^ Mod Emilee. "Game Update FAQ - 08/02/10." 11-Feb-2010 10:05:02. Recent Updates Forums.
- ^ As quoted by Jagex on the official update FAQ, the staff of light's drop rate was the same as that of the abyssal whip. During Runefest's big question sessions, at the time, the drop rate of the abyssal whip was revealed to be 1/512. Therefore the drop rate of the staff of light must also be 1/512.
- ^ a b 200 coins will always be dropped with magic logs, but not vice versa.
- ^ Always dropped with a seed
- ^ There is a 1% chance of this being a sealed clue scroll (master) instead
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Rare drop table:|
Wilderness drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the Wilderness shared loot table, which is a tertiary drop. To access the table, it has to be killed inside the Wilderness.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but do increase the chance of doing so, as does doing higher level content.
|Wilderness shared loot table:|
Universal drops[edit | edit source]
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Mimic kill token (m)||1||Very rare||9,264||Not alchemisable|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- Players who haven't obtained a Fire Cape should no longer be assigned Ice Strykewyrm tasks by slayer masters.
- patch 28 May 2019 (Update):.
- Allowed ice strykewyrms to be fought and killed in Rush of Blood while on an ice strykewyrm task for Mandrith.
- ninja 17 July 2017 (Update):
- Ice strykewyrms will no longer target-switch to a familiar if they lose sight of the player.
- patch 9 January 2017 (Update):
- Ice strykwyrms will no longer become immune to attacks and then disappear after burrow attack.
- patch 13 March 2012 (Update):
- Increased damage against Ice Strykewyrms whilst wearing the TokHaar-Kal now functions correctly.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ice strykewyrms, along with the other strykewyrms, were the first monsters to incorporate particle effects.
- Before receiving a buff, Ice Strykewryms used to have 15,000 life points which is now currently 25,000.
- When attacking an ice strykewyrm for the Fremennik Province Tasks, the goliath gloves' special effect is able to deal damage to it, making it possible to slay it at level 65 (the minimal requirement to obtain the gloves).
- When the TokHaar-Kal was given the ability to count as a fire cape when fighting Ice strykewyrms, it did not give the bonus damage effect, and simply allowed players to deal normal damage the same way as the slayer reward. This was later fixed with an update on 13 March 2012.
- Previously, investigating an ice strykewyrm required a player to be directly next to it. This requirement was changed for all types of strykewyrms by an update on 1 August 2016, so that players using ranged and magic combat styles may now investigate the mound without being moved closer.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 60,000 kills.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
|Fremennik Slayer Dungeon|
|Lumbridge Swamp Caves|
|Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon|
|Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon|
|Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon|
|God Wars Dungeon|
|Taverley Slayer Dungeon|
|Monastery of Ascension|
|Sophanem Slayer Dungeon|