|Release date||8 July 2019 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Anachronia base camp|
|Sells items||Slayer Equipment|
|Actions||Talk to, Get task, Trade, Rewards, Examine|
|Examine||She looks rather elegant for a slayer master.|
|NPC ID||26558, 26580|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Laniakea [la.ni.ə.keɪ.ə] is a Slayer Master located on Anachronia. Receiving slayer assignments from her requires level 90 Slayer and level 120 Combat, making Laniakea the highest level Slayer Master available. Compared to Morvran, she does not assign desert strykewyrms, grotworms, nechryael, TzHaar, or waterfiends. Instead, she can assign "cluster" tasks where the player can kill any monster falling under that category (e.g. black dragons in a generic dragon task) to complete the assignment.
History[edit | edit source]
Almost nothing is known about her life, but she was presumably born in the Eastern Lands, a treacherous place full of death and danger. Eventually, she decided to leave her village and sail west, arriving at the human kingdoms sometime later. During her travels, she acquired an ancient doll from an ancient witch coven filled with voodoo magic that allows her to inflict pain on the soul she linked to it. However, she would not use it unless she had no other choice, and the coven was destroyed and its knowledge lost by the time she acquired it. She prefers using poison against her enemies, letting it do the dirty work for her. She also drinks her own poisons as a way to make her immune to them.
She soon met the Order of Slayer Masters while tracking down a beast; both parties met by pure coincidence, and she considered it a competition and slew the beast in front of them. This prompted them to recruit her to their cause, and though initially hesitant because of her upbringing, she eventually accepted due to the lessons she learned from them over the years, primarily from Morvran and Kuradal, along with a desire to belong. However, she left sometime later after meeting a man in the Order; she felt vulnerable after sensing he was hiding something deep down and unprepared for these "alien" feelings, decided to forge her own path.
During her travels, she also learned about the player's noble deeds and was requested by King Roald to assist an expedition to Anachronia, where she was surprised to learn there was more than what was seen on the island. After being ambushed by a pavosaurus rex, she decided to explore the island by herself, though she would occasionally visit the base camp to see how it was doing. She was primarily interested in the south-eastern ruins, along with new sources of poison from both the vile blooms and fugu, which allowed her to stockpile new poisons.
Shortly after arriving on the island, she met up with Thok and Charos, who had come in search of Kerapac. The dragonkin appeared at the base camp and allegedly boasted of his plan to destroy the world. When Kerapac set the island's dinosaurs on a rampage, Laniakea stayed at base camp to defend a group of archaeologists who failed to evacuate in time, using her poisons and her spear.
After foiling Kerapac's plot, Laniakea heard and felt a faint tremor underneath the fortress she had gone to. Some adventurers had gone to investigate, but never returned, and she couldn't use explosives either as Mordaut had forbade their use. Laniakea revealed to the World Guardian that she had deciphered the door, but it was magically locked and could only be unsealed with shadow anima, which she thought destroyed by them. The World Guardian was able to unlock the door and Laniakea decided to accompany them. However, the facility they entered was emanating massive amounts of toxic shadow anima that nearly killed her, but she was strong enough to leave without the World Guardian's assistance.
Helping Laniakea[edit | edit source]
Helping Laniakea is a miniquest in which the player must help Laniakea restock her supply of poison by catching a fugu, an elusive fish found on the western coast of Anachronia. Doing so requires the player to scour the island for materials to make a custom fishing rod and fishing lure.
Ranch Out of Time[edit | edit source]
Laniakea may occasionally appear at the Ranch Out of Time on Anachronia. She may be sold varanusaurs in exchange for beans. As a medium-sized animal buyer, she will appear or renew her order for varanusaurs every two days and purchase up to 8 animals before leaving, unless the player is at least 'Master Farmer' rank in the farming reputation system; then she will buy up to 16.
Slayer points[edit | edit source]
|Smoking Kills||Points per task||Points per 10th task||Points per 50th task|
Completing 50 tasks assigned by Laniakea grants an average of 35.2 points per task, if Smoking Kills has been completed.
Assignments[edit | edit source]
Assignments considered cluster assignments are bolded.
|Monster||Amount||Combat level||Slayer experience||Slayer level||Weakness||Weighting|
|Abyssal demons||180-300||98, 107 (elite)||277.8, 1069||85||Slash||10|
|Adamant dragons||40-60||116||656||1||Air spells||8|
|Aquanites[a 1]||195-240||95, 104 (elite)||212.6, 968||78||Arrows||10|
|Aviansies[a 2][a 3]||150-180||89, 92, 95, 580/102 (Kree'arra and guards)||171, 187, 207, 2934/363.8||1|| Bolts (aviansies)|
Nothing (Kree'arra and guards)
|Black dragons||50-110||70 (Baby), 100 (Black), 276 (King), 900 (Queen)||45, 245, 1550, 1050.6, 1694||1|| Bolts (baby/regular dragons)|
|Celestial dragons[a 4]||150-180||127||976.3||1||Arrows||10|
|Chaos Giants[a 5]||80-120||126||929.3||1||Stab||8|
|Corrupted creatures||150-250||88, 91, 94, 107, 110, 113||353.2, 389, 560, 679.8, 494, 653||88-104||10|
|Creatures of Daemonheim||101-150||86 - 128||398.8 - 1950||1 - 99||See Creatures of Daemonheim article||4|
|Cres' creations||80-100||115||624||67|| Fire spells (Automaton Guardian)|
Crush (Automaton Tracer)
Arrows (Automaton Generator)
|Crystal Shapeshifters||110-150||112||1270||80|| Fire spells (Melee)|
|Dagannoth||205-290||See Dagannoth article||See Dagannoth article||1||See Dagannoth article||10|
|Dark beasts||180-300||105, 112 (Revenant), 114 (elite)||331.4, 256, 1372.8||90|| Bolts|
Nothing (Revenant dark beast)
|Demons||101-150||5 - 131||6.6 - 2721.5||1 - 96||See Demons (Cluster task) article||4|
|Dinosaurs||70-110||160 (Feral), 164 (Brutish), 172 (Venomous), 176 (Ripper)||1810, 3100, 1332, 1904||90-114||See Dinosaurs (Slayer assignment) article||9|
|Dragons||101-150||63 - 2,500||68.6 - 37,600||1 - 101||See Dragons (Cluster task) article||4|
|Edimmu[a 6]||170-265||122, 125 (elite)||880.2, 2044||90|| Slash|
|Elves||150-180||84/89 (Elf warrior), 108 (Seren mage, Seren archer, Seren warrior), 122 (Cadarn magus, Cadarn ranger, Iorwerth guard, Iorwerth scout)||73.6/89.4, 334.2, 334.2, 334.2, 608, 608, 608, 608||1|| Fire spells|
|Ganodermic creatures||85-110||112||565 (beast), 565 (runt)||95||Fire spells||7|
|Gemstone dragons[a 7]||80-130||119 (Dragonstone), 126 (Onyx), 133 (Hydrix), 2500 (Black Stone Dragon)||1448.4, 1858.8, 4768.8, 37600||95-101||Arrows||10|
|Glacors[a 8]||60-85||112||1881||1||Fire spells||8|
|Greater demons||180-300||82, 92 (elite), 650/102 (K'ril Tsutsaroth and Tstanon Karlak), 200 (Demon boss)||135.4, 620, 1849.5/209, 22720||1|| Bolts (regular)|
Fire spells (K'ril/Tstanon)
|Ice strykewyrms[a 9]||120-240||106||693.2||93||Fire spells||8|
|Iron dragons||75-130||98||245||1||Water spells||7|
|Kalphites||205-300||See Kalphites article||See Kalphites article||1||See Kalphites article||5|
|Living wyverns||40-65||127, 133 (elite)||1878.8, 2654||96||Fire spells||8|
|Lost Grove creatures||100-120||140||2086, 2360, 2408.8||104-108|| Arrows (Vinecrawler)|
Slash (Bulbous crawler)
Fire spells (Moss golem)
|Mithril dragons||30-50||112||594.4||1||Earth spells||8|
|Muspah[a 10]||150-180||150||469||76|| Nothing|
|Mutated jadinkos||195-265||93 (baby), 96 (guard), 100 (male)||98.6, 188.4, 209.6||80-91||Stab||8|
|Nightmare creatures[a 11]||110-160||128||1540||80||Earth spells||8|
|Nihil[a 10]||50-110||160||705.4 (Blood), 564 (Ice and smoke), 423 (Shadow)||76|| Magic (Blood)|
|Nodon dragonkin||110-150||120 (artificer, guard, hunter), 150 (engineer, Siege engine), 3000 (Kerapac, the Bound)||1,877 (artificer/guard/hunter), 1,505 (Siege engine), 2,769 (engineer), 16,700 (Kerapac, the Bound)||92, 1 (Kerapac, the Bound)[a 12]|| Arrows (artificer)|
Air spells (guard/engineer)
Fire spells (Siege engine), Nothing (Kerapac, the Bound)
|Order of Ascension members||120-150||84 (Rorarius), 91 (Gladius), 105 (Capsarius/Scutarius), 304 (Legiones)||140, 220.2, 146.6/390.2, 1445/1922/1922/1922/1923/1923||81-95||Ranged||10|
|Ripper Demons||60-85||131 (normal), 138 (elite)||2721.5, 3203||96||Earth spells||8|
|Rune dragons[a 13]||50-75||127 (regular), 130 (elite)||2051, 3399||1||Nothing||8|
|Shadow creatures||100-150||98 (Truthful), 112 (Blissful), 126 (Manifest)||343, 565, 930||1||Fire spells||10|
|Soul devourers||150-250||106, 109, 111, 115, 122, 130, 899||504, 536.2, 370, 799, 408.4, 1780.5, 8,000||105-117|| Water spells (all melee)||12|
|Stalker creatures[a 14]||140-190||86 (seeker), 128 (soulgazer), 135 (soulgazer (elite))||440.6, 1950||71-99|| Thrown (Seeker)|
|Steel dragons||50-125||100||350||1||Water spells||9|
|Strykewyrms||101-150||93 (jungle), 103 (desert), 106 (ice), 115 (lava)||250, 301.2, 693.2, 1872||73-94|| Stab (jungle)|
Fire spells (ice)
|Tormented demons[a 15]||50-75||119||1136||1|| Fire spells (melee)|
|Vile blooms||70-110||216 (Lampenflora), 220 (Devil's snare), 224 (Luminous snaggler), 228 (Liverworts)||1331.8, 1760, 1536, 3338||90-110||Fire spells||9|
|Vyrewatch[a 16]||110-155||70, 72, 75, 78, 86, 91 (Vyrewatch) / 98 (Vyrelord/Vyrelady)||45.4, 49.8, 54.8, 60.6, 81.0, 340 / 340||31-67|| Nothing|
Blisterwood (only blisterwood weapons, Sunspear or the Ivandis flail can cause damage)
- ^ Only after paying 50 Slayer points to toggle on the ability to be assigned them.
- ^ Requires the player to speak to the dying knight outside of God Wars Dungeon to unlock them.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 7 August 2018. (Archived from the original on 20 December 2019.) Mod Daze: "Talk to the guy on the surface and it should unlock then"
- ^ Only after completing One of a Kind
- ^ Only after completing Birthright of the Dwarves
- ^ Only with 115 Dungeoneering
- ^ Only after completing the Hard Karamja Tasks
- ^ Only after completing Ritual of the Mahjarrat and paying 50 Slayer points to toggle on the ability to be assigned them.
- ^ Players need to own a fire cape or TokHaar-Kal (must be equipped, in player-owned house, in the bank, or in the inventory) or have purchased the ability to get an ice strykewyrm Slayer task for 2,000 Slayer points. Players must also have completed The Tale of the Muspah. Players can drop all fire capes before obtaining a new task and pick them up afterwards to avoid this assignment.
- ^ a b Only after completing Fate of the Gods and paying 50 Slayer points to toggle on the ability to be assigned them.
- ^ Only after completing Children of Mah and paying 50 Slayer points to toggle on the ability to be assigned them.
- ^ Although Kerapac, the Bound has no official Slayer level requirement, one must have level 92 or higher Slayer in order to receive a Nodon dragonkin task.
- ^ Only after completing Ritual of the Mahjarrat and Fate of the Gods.
- ^ Only after completing Dishonour Among Thieves.
- ^ Only after completing While Guthix Sleeps and paying 50 Slayer points to toggle on the ability to be assigned them.
- ^ Only after completing The Branches of Darkmeyer.
Task weighting[edit | edit source]
A dynamic calculator for task weight can be found here.
The percentage chance of getting assigned a given Slayer task can be calculated using the formula
where is the task's weight and is the sum of all weights for the particular Slayer Master. Note that the weights of all blocked tasks, as well as tasks toggled off have to be subtracted from the sum . For Laniakea, assuming all possible assignments are available, = 425.
Preferring a task makes it approximately twice as likely to be assigned, for the first assignment choice, but does not affect the weighting of the second assignment choice provided by a Slayer VIP ticket.
Special assignment[edit | edit source]
Laniakea's special assignment is to gather vials of poison from each of the vile blooms. This is done by killing one lampenflora, liverworts, luminous snaggler, and devil's snare. The vials are never obtained as items; a chat box message notifies the player after each successful kill:
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Mazchna will now suggest you obtain a task from Laniakea if your slayer and combat level is appropriate to do so.
- patch 15 July 2019 (Update):
- Slayer masks now correctly assign tasks when getting a task from Laniakea.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Laniakea artwork by Mod NicePants
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "Laniakea" is Hawaiian for "immense heaven" and is what the Laniakea Supercluster of galaxies is named after. Her assigned "cluster" tasks is also a reference to this.
- Laniakea was voiced by Mod Dio.
- Laniakea was one of few characters with an official pre-release description for the Land Out of Time update; her description was as follows: "Laniakea is the new Slayer Master in Anachronia. She is said to be dark, twisted, and mysterious and regularly drinks poisons to build her resistances. While she does little in the way of fighting these days, she continues to crave greater strength. It is the lure of undiscovered power that draws her to the island."
- Laniakea's doll is a voodoo doll, an effigy for piercing in order to magically hurt or control other people.
- Laniakea's consumption of poison may be an example of the real-world practice of Mithridatism: protecting yourself against poison by self-administering non-lethal quantities of it to develop resistance.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 26 September 2014. (Archived from the original on 28 September 2014.) Mod Rowley: "Preferred Slayer tasks = a silent, second random roll. If either task is on your prefer list, that's what you get (bias towards first roll)... Once normal and prefer roll is decided, [if] you have a VIP ticket, you get the choice between that roll and a third roll."
- ^ Mod Ramen. Real reason why Laniakea is giving cluster tasks. She's a supercluster. Reddit. 15 July 2019. (Archived from the original on 25 December 2020.) Mod Ramen: "This is genuinely the reason, I picked the name before I came up with the cluster idea."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Dio's Twitter account. As of 25 December 2020. (Archived from the original on 25 December 2020.) Mod Dio: "[Bio:] Voice of Laniakea"