|Release||15 January 2008 (Update)|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|A charm used to summon familiars.|
|FAQ • doc|
A gold charm is the first- and lowest-tier charm of the four major primary charm types used in the Summoning skill. The use of gold charms in the creation of Summoning pouches requires Summoning level 1. The amount of experience gained from creating pouches that use gold charms varies from 4.8 to 93.2 experience each, depending on the pouch being created. Furthermore, gold charms are the only charms available for free players.
Common ways to obtain gold charms are as a drop from various monsters, hunting charm sprites, and thieving Dorgesh-Kaan Rich Chests. A less-used but effective way of obtaining gold charms is to hunt gelatinous abominations, located in the Taverley Slayer Dungeon southeast of the Slayer master, Turael (or Spria, if the player has completed While Guthix Sleeps). It is possible to receive multiple charms in one drop from higher-level opponents.
Gold charms may also be purchased using Zeal points obtained from the Soul Wars minigame or by visiting Pikkupstix's Summoning Shop in Taverley for one free sample gold charm. Players will receive 275 gold charms upon completion of the Wolf Whistle quest, which may be used to start training the skill.
Familiars[edit | edit source]
Pouches that use gold charms generally require minimal use of spirit shards.
Gold charms are used to create pouches for the following familiars:
|1||Spirit wolf||Wolf bones
|10||Spirit spider||Spider carcass
|13||Thorny snail||Thin snail
|16||Granite crab||Iron ore
|52||Spirit terrorbird||Raw bird meat
|66||Barker toad||Swamp toad
|67||War tortoise||Tortoise shell
|71||Arctic bear||Polar kebbit fur
Spirit wolves and dreadfowl are available to free-to-play.
Monsters that drop gold charms[edit | edit source]
Monsters with a significant gold charm drop rate (greater than 10%) are listed below. It is not meant to be inclusive of all monsters that drop gold charms.
Effective drop rate is the average number of charms received per monster killed.
|Monster||Combat level||# dropped||Drop frequency %||Effective drop rate|
|Deadly red spiders||136||1||25||0.24|
|Giant rock crabs||95||3||79||2.37|
|Wolves (level 60)||64||1||32||0.34|
Note that monsters do not drop gold charms on free-to-play worlds.
Other charm obtaining methods[edit | edit source]
- Looting Dorgesh-Kaan Average Chests
- Looting Dorgesh-Kaan Rich Chests
- Pickpocketing Amlodd workers
- Soul Wars rewards
- Catching Spirit implings
- Hunting Charm sprites
- Hunting Charming moths
- Freeing Fire Spirits
- Completing the Wolf whistle quest quest which gives 275 gold charms. (F2P)
- A one-time reward of 10 Gold Charms from saving Nora from a burning building in Burthorpe (F2P)
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Festive box (elite)||N/A||10||Uncommon|
|Fire spirit (item) normal||N/A||1–3||Common||N/A|
|Fire spirit (item) divine||N/A||1–2||Common||N/A|
|Gift box (elite)||N/A||10||Unknown|
|Gift box (hard)||N/A||10||Common (1/5)|
|Gift box (medium)||N/A||10||Common (1/5)|
|Menaphite gift offering (large)||N/A||43–110||Common|
|Menaphite gift offering (medium)||N/A||72–80||Common|
|Menaphite gift offering (small)||N/A||37–137||Common|
|Shiny columbarium key||N/A||1||Common|
Store locations[edit | edit source]
|Pikkupstix's Summoning Shop||Taverley||Free sample||-||1|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gold charms appear in Magestix and Pikkupstix's shop inventories, but they cannot be sold to them, and there is no stock of the item. There is, however, one free sample that can be taken.
- The free sample in Magestix and Pikkupstix's shop inventories could be considered an unlimited source of gold charms, but it would take an extremely long time to even obtain 50.
- Gold charms were allowed for free players as of 4 March 2013, along with the release of The World Wakes. All other charms remain members only.
- The Gold charm being obtainable as a free player, more than from one-time rewards, means that F2P is trainable, even after level 5 Summoning. However, no experience can be gained until you become P2P.
- Troll Chuckers, Troll brutes and cows in Burthorpe are the only monsters that drop Gold charms on free-to-play worlds.
- There was also a 'glitch' in the Dagannoth Lighthouse where there is a gold charm that is dropped but unobtainable; however, some speculate this is a counter measure to bots as they will click on the unobtainable charm for hours, although this is probably just a mistake.