|Release||23 October 2002 (Update)|
|High alch||1 coin|
|Low alch||1 coin|
|These would feed a dog for months.|
|Exchange||2,062 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Dragon bones are associated with the Prayer skill, and are dropped by most adult dragons. Dragon bones give 72 Prayer experience when buried (144 when wearing the Dragon Rider amulet), 180 Prayer experience when cremated, 252 experience when offered at the Chaos Altar (Prayer), 288 Prayer experience when offered at the Ectofuntus, or 252 Prayer experience when offered at a gilded altar with 2 burners lit. The relative ease of collecting dragon bones, combined with the amount of experience earned from them, makes them widely viewed as a fast, cost-effective way to train Prayer.
Members can also get dragon bones as a reward from the Soul Wars minigame by selecting the 'Gamble' option when choosing rewards. If a player gets dragon bones, they will likely be noted in quantities of 11 or 22.
Cost and XP analysis[edit | edit source]
|Bury||with the Dragon Rider amulet||Gilded altar[a 1],
Chaos Temple or
burying with powder of burials
|XP||72||144||252||288||324 (Total)||180 (Prayer) + 144 (FM)|
|GP/XP||−28.6||−14.3||−8.2||−7.2||−6.4 (Total)||−11.5 (Prayer) or −14.3 (FM)|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Green and Blue dragons are the weakest types of dragons, resulting in dragon bones mostly being accumulated by killing them.
- Green dragons are the lowest level dragons in the game. They can be found in various places in the Wilderness, as well as in two locations in the Chaos Tunnels. Green dragons in the Chaos Tunnels are grouped together with Baby black dragons, while players may be attacked by Player Killers while fighting green dragons in the Wilderness locations.
- The high value of dragons' drops (bones plus hides every kill for chromatic dragons) makes dragon-hunting a highly profitable combat activity. Players can make 120K to over 1M coins per hour fighting green dragons, depending on how fast they can kill the dragons and bank the loot. About 35K to 100K can be made per run on dragons (depending on inventory space /B.O.Bs), and more if more valuable items are brought back as well.
- Baby dragons do not drop dragon bones. Instead, they drop Baby dragon bones.
- Burying dragon bones is not recommended; for members, dragon bones are best used on a Gilded altar or the altar in the Chaos Temple (Wilderness), which gives the same experience and doesn't require 75 Construction. For free-to-play, cremation gives the most XP.
- Airut bones, Dagannoth bones, Ourg bones, Hardened dragon bones, Dinosaur bones , Reinforced dragon bones, and Frost dragon bones are faster ways to train Prayer than Dragon bones, but cost much more per Prayer experience point.
- While gilded altars give the fastest experience, some prefer to use the Ectofuntus due to the fact that gilded altars give 36 less XP per bone. Although it's slower, the Ectofuntus gives more experience per bone, decreasing costs, and eliminates the need to obtain marrentill and/or find a house party offering an altar.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Bag of lost items||N/A||2||Unknown||N/A|
|Barbarian Assault/Rewards||N/A||27 (noted)||Common||N/A|
|Barbarian Assault/Rewards||N/A||8 (noted)||Unknown||N/A|
|Black dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||108||1||Always|
|Brutal green dragon||105||1||Always|
|Celestial dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||114||1||Always|
|Chaos Elemental P2P||?||1||Uncommon||N/A|
|Dragon impling jar||N/A||52–100 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Dragon impling||83||50–100 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Ghost treat||N/A||15 (noted)||Uncommon[dr 1]||N/A|
|King Black Dragon||276||1||Always|
|Queen Black Dragon||900||8||Always||N/A|
|Rare drop table||?||180–220 (noted)||Rare||N/A|
|Red dragon (Dragonkin Laboratory)||105||1||Always|
|Zombie (random event)||14; 29; 49; 79; 120; 159; 170||1–3||Rare||N/A|
|Zombie impling jar||N/A||3||Uncommon||N/A|
- ^ There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Bones and remains|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||69.2%|
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- Bury All ( 20) – Manually bury or scatter each of the listed bones and ashes.
Update history[edit | edit source]
29 March 2004 (
- The examine text of various bones were changed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dragon bones became available to free-to-play players on 29 February 2016 but could not be buried until 9 October 2017.
- A player choosing to use dragon bones all the way from 1-99 Prayer, using a gilded altar with lit burners and no other experience boosts, would spend 106,654,749 coins if all bones were bought at the current price on the Grand Exchange.
- Using the ectofuntus would cost 93,322,906 coins, but would take far longer to do. Simply burying the bones would cost 373,291,622 coins.