This article is about the Slayer creature. For the Ancient Summoning familiar, see Gargoyle (familiar)
Gargoyles are monsters that require 75 Slayer to damage. They are the only monsters that drop the Granite maul. Gargoyles are a sub-species of demon , and are weak to Silverlight and Darklight.
Gargoyles have drops which are often alched. The drop table includes a decent amount of salvage, both adamant and rune, at fairly high drop rates. Slayer-specific drops such as granite mauls and dark mystic robe tops can still be obtained. In addition, they can drop gems which can make them profitable to kill. This monster does not have access to the rare drop table.
Concept art for gargoyles and death spawns
Concept art for gargoyles
Gargoyles use melee attacks to fight, and require a Slayer level of 75 to kill. A rock hammer (or Darklight if it has been upgraded after Dimension of Disaster) is required to finish them off, when their health drops below 1,005 life points. This is done by right-clicking the gargoyle and selecting "smash", or automatically if the finishing blows ability has been purchased with 400 Slayer reward points. Alternatively, players may use the rock hammer or Darklight in their inventory on the Gargoyle, or be accompanied by a Legendary Pet that has activated the passive ability Slayer Finisher, in which the pet will deal the final blow to the Gargoyle when its health reaches 0.
Gargoyles are weak to water spells, which includes the Ancient Magicks ice spells. A staff of light or Armadyl battlestaff are recommended for players who prefer staves, or an abyssal wand and abyssal orb for players who prefer to dual-wield.
For players who struggle to kill gargoyles without losing a lot of health, there are several methods that can be used to regain life points. The Regenerate ability can be used to heal while out of combat, at the cost of adrenaline; it is recommended to use this when at 100% adrenaline. The Sacrifice ability can be used in combat, to regain a small amount of life points. The Vampyrism aura, scrimshaw or superior scrimshaw of Vampyrism, the off-hand enhanced excalibur sword, or the Soul Split ancient curse can all be used to heal as damage is dealt to the gargoyles. Guthan's equipment can be used to heal, but is not recommended due to being a melee set. A bunyip Summoning familiar can also be used to heal over time.
Players who have purchased the Charming imp Dungeoneering reward are recommended to bring it to gargoyles. Runes for casting high alchemy, or an explorer's ring 4, are also recommended, due to the frequency of rune-item drops. A gem bag (or its upgraded version or an Artificer's measure) is also useful due to the high drop rate of uncut gems. A Mask of Granite or Helm of Grotesquery can be used to receive a slayer task for Gargoyles once per day, and teleport to them twice per day.
The average Gargoyle kill is worth 4,963.48 coins.
|Nothing|1 1 1 1
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 212,887 kills.|
1 item is dropped at a time.
- This monster has access to the Wilderness shared loot table, which is a tertiary drop. To access the table, it has to be killed inside the Wilderness.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but do increase the chance of doing so, as does doing higher-level content.
| Wilderness shared loot table:
Rare drop table
||High alch value
|Wilderness hilt (m)||1||Rare||75,377||48,000|
|Adrenaline crystal (m)||5–15 (noted)||Uncommon||264,055-792,165||12,000-36,000|
|Preserved meat (m)||1||Common||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Fremennik equipment patch (m)||1||Uncommon||31,199||Not alchemisable|
|Ancient warriors' equipment patch (m)||1||Very rare||9,282,735||Not alchemisable|
|Revenant drop enhancer (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Bloodweed seed (m)||1–3||Uncommon||90,286-270,858||38-114|
|Brawling gloves (Agility) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (FM) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Magic) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Melee) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Mining) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (WC) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 4 May 2020 (Update):
- Mithril and coal stone spirits have been replaced by runite and luminite stone spirits.
- patch 6 January 2020 (Update):
- Gargoyles may now be killed as part of a demon cluster task.
- ninja 11 September 2017 (Update):
- The Wilderness Gargoyles have relocated to the ruins east of the Wilderness Volcano.
- ninja 25 April 2016 (Update):
- Improved respawn rates for Gargoyles.
- update 29 September 2014 (Update):
- Gargoyles have been updated with improved graphics and animation fixes.
- patch 25 May 2010 (Update):
- Re-textured gargoyles when they're being smashed.
- patch 20 October 2009 (Update):
- Ensured that gargoyle drops can't end up in a mushroom.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- Increased the gargoyles' “clickable area” to make them a bit easier to attack.
- Gargoyles were featured in the FunOrb game "Armies of Gielinor" as followers of Zamorak.
- Although a rock hammer must be carried to smash the gargoyle, using the Smash option will cause the player to smash the gargoyle with their currently equipped weapon rather than the rock hammer.
- Two gargoyle statues are placed on either side of the entrance to the Slayer Tower. They will turn their heads and look at the entrance when the portcullis is opened. These cannot be attacked. Gargoyles also guarded doorways of the Grim Reaper's house in the 2007 Hallowe'en event.
- If the rock hammer is added to the ability bar, using the rock hammer by pressing the assigned keybind will give the message "Nothing interesting happens".
- Gargoyles are a type of grotesque used to divert water away from buildings. They were made in the form of demons and used to demonstrate the face of evil to the largely illiterate population.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 365,407 kills.
- This had increased to 660,000 by 6 May 2018.
- ^ Mission Report: Hellfire Metal, written by Mat'ahar'i, RuneScape. "Demons were everywhere, and not mere projected forms, but hulking butcher demons in the flesh, giant gargoyles flying all about the place and even some tsutsaroth."
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Slayer Creature. Reddit. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. Reddit. 6 May 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"