|Release||26 January 2005 (Update)|
|Examine||A denizen of the Abyss!|
|XP (2H/MH/OH)||39 / 26 / 13|
|Assignment||Abyssal demons, Demons|
4 ticks (2.4s)
|Base hit chance|
|Not immune||Not immune||Not immune||Not immune|
|NPC ID||1615, 29342|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Abyssal demons are a type of demon players encounter as part of the Slayer skill and the weakest of the Abyssal Slayer creatures. They require a Slayer level of 85 in order to be harmed. They are famous for their unique drops of the abyssal whip, the abyssal wand, and the abyssal orb, which can only be received from abyssal demons. They are commonly fought for combat and Invention experience, as well as their unique and common drops. They have a special effect of short-range teleporting either themselves or the player they are battling on occasion.
A Most Wanted card may be used to increase the chances of receiving unique drops from abyssal demons.
Several varieties of abyssal demons can found in Senntisten Asylum and the Wilderness, known as abyssal savages, abyssal beasts and abyssal lords. These may be fought instead when assigned abyssal demons as a slayer task, but possess higher slayer level requirements to harm, ranging from 95 to 115. The beasts and lords also count as 2 and 5 kills respectively for an abyssal demon task unless slain in the Wilderness, where they count as one.
History[edit | edit source]
Abyssal demons are among the remnants of the Chthonian race of demons. As revealed in Palkeera's memory, the Chthonians were once rulers of Infernus, and by extension all of demonkind after rising up and overthrowing their predecessors, the Infernal demons. They were said to be cannibals, actually eager at the idea of consuming their own kin, and they were able to steal the power, or essence, of whomever they consumed. Despite this, their culture is said to be highly based on rules and laws, and they formed a complex bureaucracy in stark contrast to the Avernic's tribal ways. They came to be nobles in both the Infernal dimension and under the Zarosian empire, but lived in 'distant luxury' that made them unaware of the brewing conflicts that surround them.
At length, the Mahjarrat Zamorak managed to sway many Avernic to his side in his secret coup against Zaros, promising to help them overthrow the Chthonians. After his success and armed with his newfound godly powers, Zamorak travelled with the Avernic demons back to Infernus to do just that. The Chthonian resistance was so fierce that even with his godly powers, it took Zamorak and his Avernic legions nearly twenty years to kill or banish every last Chthonian to the Abyss.
Chthonian demons now reside in the Abyss, for the most part. The abyssal demons found on Gielinor were originally summoned by a team of researchers in Viggora's Folly, who opened a portal to the abyss. The abyssal demons remain there to this day, although a pack of demons eventually moved into the Wilderness. Kuradal also captured some of the demons for her own dungeon.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Slayer Tower[edit | edit source]
Abyssal demons can be found in the Slayer Tower, 6 in the south-west part of the top floor and 10 on part of the roof, which is accessible over an Agility shortcut. Twice a day, players can use the mask of the Abyss or helm of Warping to teleport here. It is also possible to use the resource dungeon below the Slayer Tower, but this requires level 100 Dungeoneering. The resource dungeon is usually less crowded, so players will have a lower chance of being crashed.
If killing demons here without a Slayer task, players can get a Slayer contract for 30 or 200 kills, which will give 58.2 experience per kill for a regular contract, or 332.6 for a special contract. Players using the Tower's abyssal demons to complete their Slayer task can instead get a Special slayer contract, which will give increased experience per kill. It should be noted, however, that obtaining an off-task contract will not allow the player to obtain the abyssal wand and orb. Morytania legs 4 can also be used to further boost slayer experience.
Morytania Slayer Tower Resource Dungeon[edit | edit source]
Morytania Slayer Tower dungeon can only be accessed with level 100 Dungeoneering (rewarding 35,000 Dungeoneering experience on first entry). The Dungeon is located to the east of the Morytania Slayer Tower entrance. There are 8 abyssal demons in both the south-east and south-west rooms. There are 8 imps located in the south-west room (which have a chance to drop imp champion scroll) with the 8 abyssal demons.
Kuradal's Dungeon[edit | edit source]
Kuradal's Dungeon can only be used while having a task from Kuradal, Morvran, or Laniakea. There are 10 abyssal demons crowded together here, making it easier to fight multiple of them. Players with 85 Agility can use one summer pie to bypass several rooms to make it quicker. Bank runs are somewhat cumbersome, so using Infernal urns and picking up the valuable drops is highly recommended to avoid wasting inventory space or ferocious ring charges. Alternatively, if a player has access to a pack yak familiar, they can use its special move to bank the ashes for a bigger profit. Quick access to here can be gained by the twice-daily teleports from the mask of the Abyss or helm of Warping, a ferocious ring teleport, or a fused full slayer helm with ferocious ring charges on it.
Abyssal Area[edit | edit source]
The Abyssal Area contains several abyssal demons scattered around it. Getting to this area requires partial completion of A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen as it can only be reached via the fairy ring code ALR. However, it is also inhabited by abyssal leeches, abyssal guardians and abyssal walkers, all of which are aggressive and can be a nuisance for players. As a result, this area is rarely visited for abyssal demons alone.
Wilderness[edit | edit source]
If the player is killing abyssal demons for a Slayer assignment at this location then they can gain 20% additional Slayer experience by equipping a demonic skull. They can gain another 20% extra experience per kill if they accept a special slayer contract from Erskine while assigned abyssal demons as a Slayer task. These experience bonuses stack multiplicatively, meaning the player may gain 44% extra Slayer experience. Completing a special slayer contract rewards the player with a choice of coins or combat experience.
Another group of abyssal demons can be found at Chaos Ridge. Unlike the demons at the Graveyard of Shadows, these are aggressive.
The Heart of Gielinor[edit | edit source]
A fair number of abyssal demons are found in Zaros' Bastion, located in the Heart of Gielinor. These demons aren't as aggressive, but they are extremely spread out. They may also spawn around captured Zarosian nodes.
|Morytania Slayer Tower dungeon||98||16||Maplink|
|Slayer Tower 2nd floor[UK]3rd floor[US]||98||6||Maplink|
|Slayer Tower Roof||98||10||Maplink|
|Wilderness (level 18 Wilderness)||98||17||Maplink|
|Wilderness (Chaos Ridge)||98||? edit||? edit|
|Heart of Gielinor||98||9||Maplink|
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 8,373,153 kills from the Drop Log Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Abyssal demon kill is worth 5,534 coins.
100% drop[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
Charms[edit | edit source]
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 285,595 kills.|
1 item is dropped at a time.
Main drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Medium bladed adamant salvage||1||12/128||4,703||6,000|
|Tiny spiky rune salvage||1||8/128||6,341||8,000|
|Tiny plated rune salvage||1||4/128||6,232||8,000|
|Large plated rune salvage||1||4/128||29,354||32,000|
|Pure essence||72–88 (noted)||12/128||9,000–11,000||144–176|
|Magic logs||6 (noted)||6/128||3,258||1,152|
|Fire orb||2 (noted)||6/128||1,168||360|
|Orichalcite stone spirit||1||4/128||167||Not alchemisable|
|Phasmatite stone spirit||1||4/128||250||Not alchemisable|
|Abyssal whip||1||1/1024[d 1]||71,674||72,000|
Tertiary drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Abyssal wand||1||1/6104[d 1]||417,230||90,000|
|Abyssal orb||1||1/6104[d 1]||1,183,765||45,000|
|Ferocious ring||1||Rare[d 2]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard)||1||1/128||1||1|
|Spirit sapphire (m)||1||5/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Spirit emerald (m)||1||3/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Spirit ruby (m)||1||2/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1 (m)||1||1/2000[d 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2 (m)||1||1/2000[d 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3 (m)||1||1/2000[d 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Starved ancient effigy||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Rare drop table||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Wilderness shared loot table||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but they will increase the chance of accessing the rare drop table and may also improve the loot received from it.
|Rare drop table:|
Wilderness drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the Wilderness shared loot table, which is a tertiary drop. To access the table, it has to be killed inside the Wilderness.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but do increase the chance of doing so, as does doing higher-level content.
|Wilderness shared loot table:|
Universal drops[edit | edit source]
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster and skilling action outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Mimic kill token (m)||1||1/10000||59,460||Not alchemisable|
Graphical updates[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 8 August 2022 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that allowed players to attack abyssal demons inside Kuradal's Dungeon if they were on an 'Abyssal Demons (Wilderness)' Slayer task.
- patch 7 March 2022 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with Slayer contracts being listed as 'Nothing' instead of 'abyssal demons'.
- ninja 1 March 2021 (Update):
- Abyssal demons will no longer teleport the player around sporadically while in manual combat mode.
- patch 4 May 2020 (Update):
- Adamantite and runite stone spirits have been replaced by orichalcite and phasmatite stone spirits.
- patch 3 July 2017 (Update):
- Abyssal demons will no longer teleport through the entrance barrier in the player-owned slayer dungeon.
- ninja 16 January 2017 (Update):
- The Wilderness abyssal demons have migrated through the obelisk portal to south of the Graveyard of Shadows, a multi-combat zone.
- patch 22 April 2014 (Update):
- Players will now receive bonus XP whilst wearing demon slayer equipment when killing abyssal demons.
- patch 4 June 2013 (Update):
- Abyssal demons no longer stop taking damage from a channelled ability after teleporting.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When the Evolution of Combat was first released, Abyssal demons were weak to bolts, like most other demons. This was later changed to slashing weapons in an unknown update. In the beta version of the EoC, they were weak to water spells.
- Although the game says Abyssal demons are weak to slashing weapons, they still appear to be weak to magic. This is actually due to their affinity being higher against magic than against melee attacks other than slashing. This would make sense, as according to the combat triangle, monsters that use melee should be weak to magic.
- Jagex greatly increased the life points of Abyssal demons among other common Slayer creatures in a hidden update on 25 February 2013. They stated that "they were too easy to kill for low-levelled players."
- While a player is attacking them and performing a combo attack, Abyssal demons are incapable of teleporting the player, however they can still teleport themselves.
- The abyssal demons that attempt to escape Kuradal's Dungeon were not updated following the Evolution of Combat. When Kuradal's Fire Surge hit one of these demons, it showed a hitsplat of 150 (their health prior to the update). This has been fixed.
- If an abyssal demon is killed as it is teleporting, it will have no death animation.
- Abyssal demons received a drop revamp on 4 February 2014, removing most drops and replacing with more expensive drops, and allowing them to drop the abyssal wand and orb for players on abyssal demon tasks.
- Abyssal demons being Chthonians was first implied by Palkeera's memory, and later confirmed by Mod Jack on the Mahjarrat Memories FAQ. Mod Jack also stated that the Abyssal demons in the Slayer Tower are relatively weaker ones, and the Dukes are much stronger.
- Prior to the current appearance of abyssal demons, there were two pieces of concept art shown for their graphical update, one of which went unused. However, this unused art still influenced the designs of their Slayer mask and helm.
- When the Wilderness was rejuvenated with the update on 8 August 2016, Abyssal demons were placed north of the Bandit Camp. This area was a single-way area. Player feedback eventually moved the abyssal demons to their current position near the Graveyard of Shadows to allow the demons to give experience rates on par with other slayer monsters in the Wilderness.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 1,221,227 kills.
- Abyssal demons had a combat level of 124 on release.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Palkeera's memory (book), written by Palkeera, RuneScape. "The Chthonian remnants still linger in the Abyss, however, and I know of at least one attempt to summon them in the facility at Viggora's Folly"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Slayer Creature. Reddit. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. Reddit. 6 May 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"