|Release date||26 January 2005 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||• While Guthix Sleeps|
|Sells items||Slayer Equipment|
|Examine||He looks dangerous!|
|NPC ID||8275, 8466|
|Infobox • (multi) • Talk page|
Duradel is the fourth highest level Slayer Master and the father of Kuradal. Players must have at least level 50 in the Slayer skill, 100 combat and have completed the Shilo Village quest before they may access him and receive Slayer assignments from him. Duradel is found on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] north of Fernahei's Fishing Hut in Shilo Village. Alternatively, if Lunar Diplomacy is completed, the spell NPC Contact can be used to speak and get assignments from him.
History[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
Duradel excelled in Slayer and combat, and aspired to become the greatest Slayer master. He took a potentially questionable path, the details which he does not reveal to prevent others to be tempted, to reach his goal. Duradel eventually successfully became the most powerful Slayer master, and remained so for a time, but became trapped in the role and was not allowed to leave.
Duradel trained Vannaka, his talented student, who would eventually rise to the rank of Slayer master in his own right. At some point, Vannaka challenged Duradel to be the strongest Slayer master, only to be defeated by him with a rare and powerful weapon. Vannaka accepted defeat, and Duradel remained the most powerful Slayer master then.
Duradel married and had a daughter, Kuradal. Kuradal was very close to her father, and from a young age, was trained by him in combat and Slayer skills. Kuradal became very proficient in Slayer and combat, and also quite competitive, aspiring to surpass him. Although Kuradal assigns harder slayer creatures than her father, she still thought he might be more powerful and isn't sure who was stronger. Kuradal later trained another master, Morvran, an elf of the Iorwerth Clan, who offers even greater Slayer challenges than her own, following the restoration of Prifddinas.
At some point, Duradel separated from his wife. Kuradal had been making preparations for bringing her mother and father back together, prior to Duradel's death.
Fighting against Lucien[edit | edit source]
Duradel was one of eight warriors recruited by an adventurer to hunt Lucien. After his recruitment, Lapalok replaces him in Shilo Village as the third highest-level Slayer master. His replacement was intended to be temporary at first, as Duradel would be unable to perform his usual Slayer master duties while at war. Lapalok, as the Disciple of the Devourer, seemed quite eager to send Duradel and the adventurer away to war, where he expected both would meet destruction.
Upon questioning him in the White Knights' Castle as he prepares for his fight, he reveals he was being kept in Shilo Village by an unknown higher authority, and required special permission from them–he seemed to communicate telepathically with them–to leave for his part in the battle against Lucien. He reveals that, apparently, he took several shortcuts and 'trod on very important toes', as he puts it, to become the greatest Slayer master–which he was at the time, before being surpassed by his daughter, Kuradal. Unfortunately, he would not reveal any more information to the adventurer, and stated that he will take this secret to the grave to avoid tempting others including the adventurer. He does just that.
The group attempts to save the adventurer from Lucien in the Wilderness. They engaged in battle with Lucien and his undead army. It is revealed during the battle that Duradel has a combat level of 197. Duradel is one of the six who perish in the ensuing battle, all six of whom were fighting Lucien directly. Lapalok then replaces him permanently as Slayer master.
After this quest, a statue of Duradel is fittingly placed next to a statue of Turael at the entrance to the Slayer Tower near Canifis, and two more statues can be found in Falador along with the other five heroes: around the lake in Falador Park and lining the bridge to the White Knights' Castle.
Duradel's soul makes a small appearance in the Underworld, right outside Icthlarin's castle where he wistfully ponders his time as a slayer master and his wife.
Slayer points[edit | edit source]
|Smoking Kills||Points per task||Points per 10th task||Points per 50th task|
Completing 50 tasks assigned by Duradel grants an average of 24 points per tasks, if Smoking kills has been completed.
Although completion of the Elite Karamja tasks awards players with more Slayer points per task, this only applies to Lapalok, Duradel's replacement. Lapalok only appears after the events of While Guthix Sleeps and the quest itself is a requirement for completing the Karamja tasks.
Assignments[edit | edit source]
|Monster||Amount||Combat level||Slayer experience||Slayer level||Weakness||Weighting|
|Aberrant spectres||130-200||72, 78 (Pollnivneach slayer dungeon)||109, 123||60|| Thrown (Slayer tower)|
Arrows (Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon)
|Ascension members||100-125||84 (Rorarius)||140 (Rorarius)||81/95||Ranged||8|
|Automatons||65-80||115||624||67|| Fire spells (Automaton Guardian)|
Crush (Automaton Tracer)
Arrows (Automaton Generator)
|Aviansie[a 1][a 2]||100-125||89, 92, 95, 580/102 (Kree'arra and guards)||179, 2261, 209, 161, 150||1|| Bolts (aviansies)|
Nothing (Kree'arra and guards)
|Black dragon||40-80||70 (Baby), 100 (Black), 276 (King), 900 (Queen)||45, 245, 1050, 1693||1|| Bolts (baby/regular dragons)|
|Bloodveld||130-200||61, 68, 92 (Godwars dungeon), 91 & 95 (mutated)||38.6, 88.4, 197, 216, 239.6||50|| Thrown|
|Dagannoth||130-200||74, 88, 90, 92, 148, 303||71, 85, 99.6, 120, 331||1||See Dagannoth article||10|
|Dark beast||130-200||105, 112 (revenant)||331.4, 140||90|| Bolts|
Nothing (Revenant dark beast)
|Edimmu||196||122 (normal), 125 (powerful)||880.2||90|| Salve amulet|
|Fire giant||130-200||85||161.2||1||Water spells||10|
|Fungal mage||100-200||81||63.6||1||Air spells||8|
|Ganodermic creatures||55-70||112||565 (beast), 565 (runt)||95||Fire spells||6|
|Gorak||40-80||74, 95 (God Wars Dungeon)||49.8, 49.8||1|| Water spells|
Fire spells (God Wars Dungeon)
|Greater demon||130-200||82, 650/102 (K'ril Tsutsaroth and Tstanon Karlak)||135.4, 1849.5, 209, 161, 150||1|| Bolts (regular)|
Fire spells (K'ril/Tstanon)
|Grotworm||80-120||28 (young), 63 (regular), 98 (mature)||11.4, 102.8, 343.6||1||Bolts||10|
|Hellhound||130-200||92, 95 (God Wars Dungeon)||93.8, 207.4||1|| Water spells (God Wars Dungeon)|
|Ice strykewyrm[a 3]||100-200||152||693.2||93||Fire spells||8|
|Iron dragons||40-80||98||245||1||Water spells||9|
|Kalphites||146-250||Regular: 58, 65, 72, 333 (Kalphite Queen)||Regular: 62, 78.8, 99.8, 1347
Exiled: 110, 147, 147, 240, 240, 2055, 14,332.5
|1||See Kalphites page||10|
|Mithril dragons||4-11||112||564.4||1||Earth spells||7|
|Mutated jadinkos||120-200||93 (baby), 96 (guard), 100 (male)||98.6, 188.4, 209.6||80, 86, 91||Stab||8|
|Scabarites||40-80||42, 110, 110, 110, 110, 77||40, 70, 90, 90, 91, 100||1|| Fire spells|
|Skeletal Wyverns||40-80||109||510.8||72||Fire spells||5|
|Spiritual Mages||130-200||98||229||83|| Arrows (Zamorak)|
Bolts (Armadyl, Bandos and Saradomin)
|Steel dragons||40-80||100||350||1||Water spells||7|
|Suqah||40-80||73, 74, 79||47.4, 49.8, 57.6||1||Fire spells||5|
|Vyrewatch||98-118||70, 72, 75, 78, 86, 91 (Vyrewatch), 98 (Vyrelord/Vyrelady)||43.2, 47.4, 52.2, 57.6, 81.0, 89.4, 340||1||Thrown (only blisterwood weapons can cause damage.)||8|
|Warped terrorbirds||130-200||82||133.4||56||Bolts requires crystal chime in inventory||9|
|Waterfiends||130-200||102 (Ghorrock), 107||290.8, 335||1||Bolts||10|
- ^ Requires you to speak to the dying knight outside of God Wars Dungeon to unlock them as a task.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Daze's Twitter account. 7 August 2018. (Archived from the original on 20 December 2019.) Mod Daze: "Talk to the guy on the surface and it should unlock then"
- ^ Players need to own a fire cape or TokHaar-Kal (equipped, in player-owned house, in bank, or in inventory) or have purchased the ability to get an ice strykewyrm Slayer task for 2,000 Slayer points. Players must also have completed The Tale of the Muspah. Dropping all fire capes before obtaining a new task and picking them up afterwards can avoid this assignment.
Slayer Challenge[edit | edit source]
After a player has performed several Slayer tasks for Duradel, he will occasionally offer a special task in place of a regular Slayer task. The player can decline to take the special task without penalty. If the player accepts the special task, completing the task:
- Earns extra Slayer experience
- Earns Slayer points
- Counts as a task for the player's consecutive task count, which is used for Slayer points.
Duradel's special task is for the player to slay monsters in the Slayer Tower in a single trip without leaving the tower. The numbers of monsters that must be slain are:
- 17 Crawling Hands on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US]
- 12 Banshees on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US] (requires protection from the banshees' screams)
- 9 Infernal Magi on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US]
- 7 Bloodveld on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US]
- 7 Aberrant spectres on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] (requires protection from the spectres' odour)
- 5 Gargoyles on the 2nd floor[UK]3rd floor[US] (requires a Rock hammer)
- 6 Nechryaels on the 2nd floor[UK]3rd floor[US]
- 6 Abyssal demons on the 2nd floor[UK]3rd floor[US]
As the player kills the required number of each set of monster, a notice appears in the chatbox that the player has killed enough of the monster for the challenge.
Note that level 85 Slayer is needed for this task to kill every monster in the Slayer Tower. All monsters will use either magic or melee attacks so either Ganodermic armour or the use of prayer can easily destroy most of the monsters. A Full slayer helmet and the ability to destroy specific monsters would be highly recommended.
The reward for completing this task is a bonus of 20,000 Slayer experience and 35 bonus Slayer points.
Note: Leaving the Slayer Tower and failing to return within the given time frame will cancel the special assignment but will not reset the player's slayer task count.
Task weighting[edit | edit source]
A dynamic calculator for task weight can be found here.
The percentage chance of getting assigned a given Slayer task can be calculated using the formula
where is the task's weight and is the sum of all weights for the particular Slayer Master. Note that the weights of all blocked tasks, as well as tasks toggled off have to be subtracted from the sum . For Duradel, assuming all possible assignments are available, = 381.
Preferring a task makes it approximately twice as likely to be assigned, for the first assignment choice, but does not affect the weighting of the second assignment choice provided by a Slayer VIP ticket.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 17 February 2014 (Update):
- Duradel now gives the correct advice when asking for tips on slaying aviansies.
- patch 11 January 2012 (Update):
- patch 24 November 2010 (Update):
- patch 18 October 2006 (Update):
- patch 20 September 2006 (Update):
- Duradel, the Slayer Master in Shilo Village, has been persuaded to rethink the assignments he sets. He's dropped the weaker monsters from his list, so experienced adventurers may find him much more likely to set them a challenge worthy of their combat skills.
- update 31 January 2005 (Update):
- update 26 January 2005 (Update):
- Added to game.
- Today we have introduced a new skill for members called the Slayer skill! To start the Slayer skill, you should find one of the Slayer Masters who are located in various places around RuneScape. There are five Slayer Masters in total, each catering to different strengths. They can be found in Burthorpe, Morytania, Edgeville Dungeon, Zanaris, and Shilo Village.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When asked about Vannaka in a Postbag from the Hedge, it is revealed that Vannaka was a student of Duradel's, and once challenged him to be the strongest Slayer Master only to be beaten by his master with a sort of rare and powerful weapon.
- On the day of the release of While Guthix Sleeps, some Slayer masters, including Duradel, had a glitch in their names in the chatbox. If a player was assigned a task and asked "Got any tips for me?", instead of Duradel or Lapalok the game showed slayer_master_5_multi. This glitch could not be seen if using an enchanted gem, slayer ring or the NPC Contact spell. It could only be seen if talking personally to Duradel or Lapalok.
- He was the toughest Slayer master until the release of Kuradal on 8 December 2009. Prior to Kuradal's release, he wore and sold the Slayer cape, but he now wears a cape of legends and Kuradal sells the Slayer cape.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Duradel, "While Guthix Sleeps", RuneScape. "Good to be out of that hut I've inhabited for the last few years. It seems that saving the world was enough reason for me to be allowed out."
- ^ a b Duradel, "While Guthix Sleeps", RuneScape. "Let's just say that you don't arrive as the greatest slayer master overnight without a lot of blood and slaughter. I took some shortcuts and trod on some very important toes... [the method] is a secret that will go to my grave. I cannot take the chance that you would be tempted as I was."
- ^ a b Jagex. Postbag 20 - "Transcript:Tales from earlier ages", Letter 8, by Duradel. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Kuradal, "Festival of the Dead", RuneScape. "Whenever I think of my father, I return to my childhood, when we would slay dangerous beasts together. We were both far too competitive for that to last long. I would go on my own at night and slay tougher and tougher creatures, so that I could surpass him. Now we will never know who was the better slayer."
- ^ Morvran, "Plague's End", RuneScape. "In my travels, I made the acquaintance of a lovely young lady by the name of Kuradal. She taught me much about the wider world... I found myself fascinated by her and what she does, and so I decided to turn my talents and knowledge towards slaying."
- ^ Kuradal, "Festival of the Dead", RuneScape. "I wished to bring mother and father back together. I had completed many preparations. I should have done it sooner."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 26 September 2014. (Archived from the original on 28 September 2014.) Mod Rowley: "Preferred Slayer tasks = a silent, second random roll. If either task is on your prefer list, that's what you get (bias towards first roll)... Once normal and prefer roll is decided, [if] you have a VIP ticket, you get the choice between that roll and a third roll."
|Characters mentioned in the letters|
|Characters mentioned in the letters|