Hellhounds are mid- to high-level demons often given as a slayer assignment to mid- to high-level players. The introduction of the Summoning skill brought about a rise in players killing them due to their gold charm drop rate. They have the third highest combat level of any monster outside of Daemonheim on free-to-play worlds, surpassed by deadly red spiders and revenant knights. Hellhounds are also known for their very high drop rate of hard clue scrolls.
Hellhounds may also be purchased to guard a player's dungeon in the Construction skill (see here).
With the removal of Bounty Hunter, hellhounds were put in the Wilderness Volcano. They have been added to the Forinthry Dungeon with the re-release of the Old Wilderness system.
If hellhounds are assigned as a Slayer assignment, revenant hellhounds may be killed in their place. They have very high accuracy and hit constantly even through high level armour such as Barrows equipment. The hellhounds located in the God Wars Dungeon are weak to water spells; elsewhere they are weak to slash weapons.
Hellhounds can be an excellent way to train melee for free players as players can exploit their weakness to slash with the Rune 2h sword and Gravite 2h sword, possibly getting more experience per hour than Deadly red spiders. Keep in mind: hellhounds are found only in the Wilderness in free-to-play worlds, so beware of the risk of PKers. The area is usually uncrowded. Hellhounds are a good source of AFK melee training, along with good charms per hour. It is recommended (for AFK) to bring Guthan's as it can heal occasionally.
Hellhounds in their lair under Taverley.
If the player is killing hellhounds for a Slayer assignment then they can gain 20% additional Slayer experience by equipping a demonic skull while killing hellhounds in the Forinthry Dungeon, Wilderness Volcano or Deep Wilderness. They can gain another 20% extra experience per kill while killing hellhounds in these locations if they accept a special slayer contract from Erskine while assigned hellhounds as a Slayer task. These experience bonuses stack, meaning the player may gain 40% extra Slayer experience. Completing a special slayer contract rewards the player with a choice of coins or combat experience.
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 387,370 kills.|
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- This monster has access to the Wilderness shared loot table, which is a tertiary drop. To access the table, it has to be killed inside the Wilderness.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but do increase the chance of doing so, as does doing higher level content.
| Wilderness shared loot table:|
Rare drop table
||High alch value
|Wilderness hilt (m)||1||Rare||59,484||48,000|
|Adrenaline crystal (m)||5–15 (noted)||Uncommon||267,580-802,740||12,000-36,000|
|Preserved meat (m)||1||Common||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Fremennik equipment patch (m)||1||Uncommon||12,074||Not alchemisable|
|Ancient warriors' equipment patch (m)||1||Very rare||5,919,490||Not alchemisable|
|Revenant drop enhancer (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Bloodweed seed (m)||1–3||Uncommon||67,254-201,762||38-114|
|Brawling gloves (Agility) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (FM) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Magic) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Melee) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Mining) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
|Brawling gloves (WC) (m)||1||Very rare||30,000||30,000|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- ninja 25 April 2016 (Update):
- Improved respawn rates for Hellhounds.
- patch 28 March 2011 (Update):
- Charm drop rates for this monster have been reverted.
- patch 10 January 2011 (Update):
- This monster's animations have been updated to use more than just one of their legs.
- Slayer Masters describe hellhounds as "a cross between dogs and demons". They are affected by the powers of silverlight and darklight. Along with the bloodveld, they are the only demons that drop bones rather than ashes.
- They also don't count when assigned a "dog" slayer task.
- On 16 June 2009, hellhounds were placed in the Wilderness Volcano, making it the first members monster to be made free-to-play. It also broke the record of strongest, non-revenant, free to play monster with a combat level of 92.
- After the ring of wealth update on 16 March 2011, the charm drop rates of hellhounds and rock lobsters had "gone walkabouts". This caused hellhounds to drop gold charms less frequently. Rather, they seemed to drop blue charms much more often. This was, however, fixed on 28 March as noted in the patch notes of that date.