|Release||8 February 2010 (Update)|
|Burrowed: I'm pretty sure there's something under there.|
Above ground: I dread to think of how many of these are in the sand.
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|48 / 32 / 16|
|77||376.5||Desert strykewyrms, Strykewyrms|
4 ticks (2.4s)
|Immune||Not immune||Not immune||Not immune|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Desert strykewyrms are Slayer monsters located east of Al Kharid, through the east gate. They require level 77 Slayer to kill, and may only be killed if a player is assigned to kill them by a Slayer master. You cannot use temporary boosts, as you need to be assigned these from your master.
Although they are located in the Kharidian Desert, only the southern periphery of the area they reside in is affected by desert heat. As such, waterskins are only needed on a narrow stretch. Luckily the monsters drop four-dose waterskins quite often and there are Kharidian cactii to refill them without needing to go back to Al Kharid to find a water source.
A wyrm initially appears as a mound on the ground; the mound may be still or be moving about. Before battle can be initiated with the wyrm, a player must investigate the mound by clicking on it. This causes the player's character to perform the Stomp emote, after which the wyrm bursts out of the ground.
Desert strykewyrms are an excellent source of various noted items, and the occasional focus sight, which is needed to create a full slayer helmet. If the player is not currently assigned a desert strykewyrm task, investigating the mound still causes the player's character to perform the stomp emote, but the wyrm does not burst forth. Instead, the character will then perform the Think emote.
Killing a strykewyrm is one of the elite Desert achievements, Staff on Stryke. The player must be equipped with an ancient staff and full slayer helmet when doing so (upgraded slayer helms will not work; corrupted slayer helmet does work; mighty slayer helmet also works). A single strykewyrm can be killed without a slayer assignment if the assigned equipment is used.
Locations[edit | edit source]
|East of Al Kharid||103||12||Maplink|
Attacks[edit | edit source]
The desert strykewyrm's standard attacks are Melee and Ranged. The wyrm will usually use melee and only occasionally use ranged when the player is not within melee range. This attack however, rarely hits and even if it hits, it usually does not hit over 100.
The desert strykewyrm also has a special attack which consists of it burrowing under the ground, moving toward the player fighting it, and then bursting out of the ground which can deal 500-2000 damage. Running over the strykewyrm right as it bursts out of the ground will hit the player twice with its special attack, possibly adding up to 4000 damage.
The special attack may be avoided by running 2-3 squares away from where the player was standing when the wyrm starts to burrow. Timing is important; hesitating a moment when the wyrm burrows could cause the wyrm's special attack to hit. Many players run directly away from the wyrm when it burrows, but depending on your reaction time, this might not be a good idea, so running to the sides is a good idea for those with laggy computers or if they are too slow to react to the attack.
Sometimes the desert strykewyrm will be stunned when it emerges from the ground. It will not be able to use its special attack until this wears off.
Tips[edit | edit source]
When running away from the special attack, it is best to click on the ground itself instead of the minimap, as the player can react to the tactical situation in the area. A player should not click on another mound when trying to get away, as the player will run up to (not onto) the mound and stop, which might leave the player too close to the surfacing wyrm.
Desert strykewyrms have a high amount of health for their level, but have low defence, making it quite easy with powerful weapons to cause a large amount of damage. The wyrm's special attack can be disabled by standing near any kind of obstacle. There are cacti and bushes around their area, but they are relatively spread out and few in number.
This special attack occurs on average once every 15-20 attacks. Depending upon how fast the player can kill a desert strykewyrm, the special attack may or may not occur with each wyrm battle, but one special attack per 2 or 3 wyrms is very likely.
For players who have difficulty moving out of the way in time, it is advised to range strykewyrms from a distance. Range them at the maximum distance of your crossbow/shortbow/shieldbow so that you will have more time to spot and avoid their special attack. Desert strykewyrms are more resistant to ranged than they are to melee, but the ranged attack they use at a distance will also deal very low damage to a player wearing ranged armour.
It is also possible for players to avoid the desert strykewyrm's special attack by using the Escape ability. This requires a good reaction time, as the player will be sent back a few squares, thus wasting good combat time.
While on slayer task, Tuska's Wrath is a recommended ability. Activating Tuska's Wrath manually when the desert strykewrym is at or near to full health will give maximum advantage and potential instakill.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Charms[edit | edit source]
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 44,708 kills.|
1 item is dropped at a time.
Main drop[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Water rune[d 1]||2–100||Uncommon||74-3,700||6-300|
|Water talisman||1||Very rare||1,158||2|
|Nature talisman (m)||1||Rare||1,846||2|
|Cosmic talisman (m)||1||Rare||980||2|
|Medium bladed mithril salvage||1–2||Uncommon||3,640-7,280||1,800-3,600|
|Tiny bladed rune salvage||1||Uncommon||7,009||8,000|
|Focus sight (m)||1||Rare[d 2]||90,546||1,800|
|Cadantine seed (m)||1||Common||772||38|
|Avantoe seed (m)||1||Uncommon||895||38|
|Kwuarm seed (m)||1||Uncommon||4,251||38|
|Toadflax seed (m)||1||Uncommon||2,682||20|
|Irit seed (m)||1||Uncommon||898||38|
|Watermelon seed (m)||1||Uncommon||1,112||33|
|Ranarr seed (m)||1||Uncommon||1,466||11|
|Poison ivy seed (m)||1||Uncommon||1,135||99|
|Belladonna seed (m)||1||Uncommon||1,137||106|
|Cactus seed (m)||1||Uncommon||969||59|
|Lantadyme seed (m)||1||Uncommon||398||38|
|Dwarf weed seed (m)||1||Rare||7,156||38|
|Maple seed (m)||1||Very rare||2,749||28|
|Magic seed (m)||1||Very rare||42,884||253|
|Grimy guam||1–4 (noted)||Common||506-2,024||18-72|
|Grimy marrentill (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||6,813-27,252||0|
|Grimy lantadyme (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||8,998-35,992||0|
|Grimy avantoe (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||1,124-4,496||0|
|Grimy cadantine (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||5,545-22,180||0|
|Grimy dwarf weed (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||16,006-64,024||0|
|Grimy harralander (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||1,061-4,244||0|
|Grimy toadflax (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||10,910-43,640||0|
|Grimy irit (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||2,115-8,460||0|
|Grimy kwuarm (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||7,631-30,524||0|
|Grimy ranarr (m)||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||4,208-16,832||0|
|Grimy tarromin||1–4 (noted)||Uncommon||206-824||0|
|Coins[d 3]||200–440; 1,201–4,500||Common||200-4,500||200-4,500|
|Waterskin (4) (m)||2||Common||1,590||36|
|Super defence (2) (m)||1||Common||5,839||118|
|Potato cactus (m)||3; 5–18 (noted)||Common||2,799-16,794||0|
|Yew logs||10 (noted)||Common||2,800||960|
|Pure essence||120 (noted)||Common||8,640||240|
|Adamantite stone spirit||3||Uncommon||111||Not alchemisable|
|Goat horn dust[d 1] (m)||3 (noted)||Common||2,475||21|
|Uncut sapphire[d 4]||1||Common||581||15|
|Uncut emerald[d 4]||1||Uncommon||878||30|
|Uncut diamond[d 4]||1||Very rare||1,373||120|
|Uncut ruby[d 4]||1||Rare||786||60|
|Rare drop table||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
- ^ a b Always dropped with a seed.
- ^ Estimated at 1/484 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012. Rarity data of the Ice strykewyrm and Jungle strykewyrm for unique slayer items would suggest this is likely to have a drop rate of 1/512 given the margin of error.
- ^ 200 coins will always be dropped along with the yew log drop.
- ^ a b c d Always dropped with a noted herb.
Tertiary drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Court summons (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Spirit sapphire (m)||1||5/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Spirit emerald (m)||1||3/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Spirit ruby (m)||1||2/2000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Starved ancient effigy (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard) (m)||1||10/1280||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite) (m)||1||3/1280[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but they will increase the chance of accessing the rare drop table and may also improve the loot received from it.
|Rare drop table:|
Universal drops[edit | edit source]
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Mimic kill token (m)||1||Very rare||22,220||Not alchemisable|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Staff on Stryke ( 25) – Kill a desert strykewyrm wearing a Full Slayer Helm and wielding an ancient staff.
- Sand in My Loot ( 0) – Obtained a collection of unique drops from Slayer monsters located within the Kharidian desert.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 30 March 2020 (Update):
- Lowered the brightness of the sun over near the Desert Strykewyrms east of Al kharid.
- ninja 1 August 2016 (Update):
- Desert Strykewyrms now have 10,000 lifepoints (up from 8,000), a max hit of 710 (up from 296) and greater accuracy.
- Players can now investigate Strykewyrm mounds from a distance, allowing players to stomp a mound when using ranged and magic combat styles.
- The delay in switching from mound to Strykewyrm has been reduced.
- patch 14 January 2013 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where Desert strykewyrms and cannons were not behaving as expected.
- patch 11 December 2012 (Update):
- Flattened some tiles near the Desert Strykewyrm area to stop drops from disappearing under the ground.
- patch 24 October 2012 (Update):
- Players can no longer stand underneath a strykewyrm for so long before it decides to knock the player back.
- patch 7 September 2010 (Update):
- Strikewyrms would not perform their special attack if they thought you had a pet cat.
- patch 3 March 2010 (Update):
- Strykewyrms can no longer lose focus on the player they were attacking.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Using the stomp emote to attract the strykewyrm is possibly a reference to the sandworms (Shai'Hulud) from Frank Herbert's Dune novel series, which share some common characteristics.
- The release of strykewyrms was hinted at by the Twitter hint, "Three strykes and they're out!" Additionally, the encrypted message from the Chaos Elemental in Chaos Elemental Letter 14 contained the phrase 'from beneath you, it devours' - this possibly relates simultaneously to the burrowing nature of the strykewyrms and also that they were slayer-related content. 'From beneath you, it devours' is a recurring phrase in season 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Desert strykewyrms, along with the rest of the strykewyrms, were the first monsters in RuneScape that made use of particle effects.
- If a player runs behind an obstacle just as a strykewyrm burrows into the ground, the strykewyrm will disappear. Although it will seem to respawn normally, it will leave no drops. This will not count towards a kill, and it has not been fixed yet.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 29,724 kills.
- There was a bug where the desert strykewyrm's ranged attack would always miss, regardless of the player's armour rating. This was patched on 16 April 2018.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Slayer Creature. Reddit. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. Reddit. 6 May 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
|Fremennik Slayer Dungeon|
|Lumbridge Swamp Caves|
|Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon|
|Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon|
|Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon|
|God Wars Dungeon|
|Taverley Slayer Dungeon|
|Monastery of Ascension|
|Sophanem Slayer Dungeon|