Luck is a mechanic that determines the chance for receiving certain rare or special drops and rewards from various sources. Luck was significantly reworked on 27 March 2017 in an update to categorise affected drops and rewards into 4 tiers of luck, each corresponding to one or more luck enhancing items.
Luck enhancers[edit | edit source]
The following items and relic powers can increase the player's luck tier. Using additional luck enhancers of equal or lower tier grants no additional benefits to luck and all luck tiers inherit the effects of lower tiers. Potions only grant their effect once drunk and last for one hour. Equipment must be worn to grant their effect.
|1||Ring of Luck
||Ring of Luck||N/A|
|2||Ring of Wealth
||Ring of Wealth||Luck potion|
|3||Ring of Fortune
Collector's insignia (charged)
|Ring of Fortune||Enhanced luck potion|
|4||Luck of the Dwarves
||Luck of the Dwarves||N/A|
Drops and rewards affected by luck[edit | edit source]
The luck mechanic affects various rewards, including drops from slayer monsters and bosses, rewards from certain skilling activities, and clue scroll rewards. Using luck enhancers increases the chance to receive these rewards, as outlined below. All tiers of luck inherit the benefits of the tiers below it.
Slayer monsters[edit | edit source]
Increased chance of unique drops such as dark bows and abyssal whips, as well as parts of the crystal key and crystal triskelion key. However pets, starved ancient effigies, sirenic scales, Ascension keystones and signets, and Champion's scrolls are not affected by luck.
|1||Level 1–50 Slayer monsters: Crawling hand, Banshee, Rock slug, Cockatrice, Basilisk, Infernal mage, Desert lizard|
|2||The above plus level 51–80 Slayer monsters: Turoth, Aberrant spectre, Dust devil, Kurask, Gargoyle, Nechryael, Cave horror, Muspah, Nihil, Aquanite, Jungle strykewyrm, Desert strykewyrm|
|3||The above plus level 81–120 Slayer monsters: Abyssal demon, Mutated jadinko, Ascension creature, Ganodermic beast, Spiritual mage, Airut, Lava strykewyrm, Camel warrior, Mammoths, Ripper demon, Living wyvern, Edimmu, Dark beast, Ice strykewyrm, Chaos giant, Tormented demon, Glacor, Nightmare creature, dinosaurs, vile blooms, corrupted creatures, soul devourers, soulgazers|
|4||All of the above|
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Increased chance to receive a unique drop, such as an Armadyl chestplate or clingy mole, by increasing the chance to hit a boss's unique loot table. The chances to receive boss pets are not affected by luck.
|1||Giant Mole and King Black Dragon|
|2||The above plus Barrows, Chaos Elemental, Commander Zilyana, Dagannoth Kings, exiled Kalphite Queen, General Graardor, K'ril Tsutsaroth, Kalphite Queen, and Kree'arra|
|3||The above plus Abomination, Corporeal Beast, Gregorovic, Helwyr, Kalphite King, Nex, Queen Black Dragon, Twin Furies, Vindicta, and WildyWyrm|
|4||All of the above plus Araxxi, Arch-Glacor, Barrows: Rise of the Six, Beastmaster Durzag, Croesus, Kerapac, Nex: Angel of Death, Solak, The Magister, Telos, the Warden, Raksha, Rex Matriarchs, TzKal-Zuk, Vorago, and Yakamaru|
Luck rings have no effect on boss loot from Elite Dungeons, since those bosses always roll on their unique loot tables.
Skilling activities[edit | edit source]
Certain skilling activities benefit from luck enhancers.
|Tier||Increased chance of receiving|
|3||The above plus:
Clue scrolls[edit | edit source]
Luck enhancers provide a +1% chance for rarer clue-specific loot, such as god pages and third-age armour, on the corresponding tier of clue scroll. Each tier of luck gives a 1% increased drop bonus for their respective clue types from monsters and skilling.
|Tier||Clue scroll levels|
|1||Easy clue scrolls|
|2||The above plus Medium clue scrolls|
|3||The above plus Hard clue scrolls|
|4||The above plus Elite and Master|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
Luck enhancers can affect chances to access the rare drop table, as well as improve loot obtained from the rare drop table.
|1||Increased chance to access the rare drop table|
|2||Increased chance to access the rare drop table and receive improved loot from it|
|3||Further increased chance to access the rare drop table and receive improved loot from it|
|4||Still further increased chance to access the rare drop table and receive improved loot from it, and the ability to receive the Vecna skull and Hazelmere's signet ring|
Crystal chest and Triskelion Treasures[edit | edit source]
|2||1% increased chance to get rare drops|
|3||2% increased chance to get rare drops|
|4||3% increased chance to get rare drops|
Historical luck mechanics[edit | edit source]
- Slightly improved the chance to receive unique drops from monsters (but only some bosses)
- Improved the rare drop table access chance and clue scroll drop chance
- Increased the chance of finding gems while mining
All of these items’ effects were identical (charging the insignia doubled its effect) and did not stack.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 13 September 2021 (Update):
- Chat messages regarding luck-increasing items are now fully localized on German, French, and Brazilian-Portuguese servers.
- patch 14 April 2020 (Update):
- Some luck messaging has been adjusted in cases where a ring has been swapped as you're getting a lucky drop.
- patch 7 January 2019 (Update):
- patch 26 March 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where the luck message for receiving a sealed clue scroll could be given even when you were already at your soft cap for that tier of clue.
- patch 22 January 2018 (Update):
- Luck-increasing items now affect the dragon plateleg/skirt drop from iron dragons.
- hotfix 14 November 2017 (Update):
- Players will no longer receive messages about luck when completing clue scrolls and not wearing a luck-increasing ring.
- ninja 13 November 2017 (Update):
- Luck rings and items now state which items were received (including items from the rare drop table) when informing the player that the item shone brightly.
- Luck messaging will now display in Nex: Angel of Death, God Wars Dungeon 2 and other areas.
- hotfix 26 June 2017 (Update):
- ninja 12 June 2017 (Update):
- Higher-tier luck effects now work for all tiers below it. For example, Luck of the Dwarves can now work for areas where only the Ring of Fortune would work.
- You will no longer get luck messages when you successfully roll a clue scroll drop when you already have one.
- update 27 March 2017 (Update):
- The luck mechanic is reworked, including the introduction of luck tiers and new luck items.
- patch 6 March 2017 (Update):
- We have added bad luck mitigation to some lore drops so that cumulative monster kills shift the drop rate towards 100% once a certain threshold has been reached. This affects drops which have a drop rate of 1/100 (or worse). For the Last Riders book from the KBD, this does not affect group kills. Players can still gain the kill count in a group fight, but the 100% drop will only occur in a fight on your own, if the threshold has been met. The full list of affected drops are:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite working non-stop when worn, luck messages may not appear at some content even if the appropriate item is worn. Whether this is intentional or not is unknown. Examples include:
- Telos' drops
- Liberation of Mazcab unique drops
- The Magister
- Gregorovic, Helwyr, Vindicta and Twin Furies rare drop table roll
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Timbo. Game Jam 2017 - Luck Rework (Google Documents). 18 February 2017. (Archived from the original on 15 July 2020.)
- ^ RuneScape. The RuneScape Game Jam! (Twitch). 19 February 2017.Lost reference*
- ^ RuneScape. March - RuneScape's Month Ahead (YouTube). 3 March 2017.
- ^ Mod Shauny. [RS3] Luck Rework & Patch Notes teaser with Mod Shauny - 9PM UTC (Twitch). 24 March 2017.Lost reference*