|Release||24 May 2001 (Update)|
|High alch||62 coins|
|Low alch||41 coins|
|Exchange||110 coins (info)|
|A medium level catalytic rune.|
|FAQ • doc|
Death runes are used in great amounts by mages that cast Ancient Magicks, as they are needed to cast the different varieties of the rush and burst combat spells. Death runes are also needed to cast the level 85 spell Teleport Block, the only free-to-play spell which requires death runes. Members can create death runes using the Runecrafting skill at level 65 at the Death altar in the Temple of Light after completing the quest Mourning's End Part II.
Crafting them gives 10 experience per essence (or 0.2 experience per essence in Daemonheim). These are the most powerful rune stocked in any store in free-to-play.
|Price / Experience comparison|
|Grand Exchange price||GP / Exp|
Crafting multiple death runes[edit | edit source]
- For more information about Runecrafting multiples, see crafting multiple runes.
Spawns[edit | edit source]
For members there is a death rune spawn in the Feldip Hills. It respawns 1 minute and 45 seconds after picking it up.
Spells[edit | edit source]
Free-to-play spells[edit | edit source]
The only use for death runes in free-to-play worlds is casting the Teleport Block spell. Despite no free-to-play spells requiring Death Runes in Daemonheim, they can still craft them.
Pay-to-play spells[edit | edit source]
These spells can only be cast by members:
- Enchant Crossbow Bolt (Onyx)
- Slayer Dart (requires level 55 Slayer and a Slayer staff, Staff of light or Abyssal wand)
- Shadow Rush*
- Smoke Rush*
- Blood Rush*
- Ice Rush*
- Smoke Burst*
- Shadow Burst*
- Ice Burst*
- Blood Burst*
- Vengeance Other**
Store locations[edit | edit source]
|Ali's Discount Wares||Al Kharid||310||Coins||100|
|Aubury's Rune Shop||Varrock||310||Coins||10|
|Aubury's Rune Shop (New Varrock)||New Varrock||310||Zemomark||10|
|Baba Yaga's Magic Shop||Lunar Isle||310||Coins||300|
|Betty's Magic Emporium||Port Sarim||310||Coins||10|
|Carwen Essencebinder Magical Runes Shop||Burthorpe||310||Coins||10|
|Lundail's Arena-side Rune Shop||Mage arena bank||310||Coins||300|
|Magic Guild Store - Runes and Staves||Wizards' Guild||310||Coins||1,000|
|Rune Shop (Anachronia)||Anachronia||310||Coins||10|
|TzHaar-Mej-Roh's Rune Store||TzHaar City||465||Tokkul||100|
|Void Knight Magic Store||Void Knights' Outpost||310||Coins||100|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Runes and talismans|
|Item quantity required||50|
|Base junk chance||28.5%|
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The most death runes required for a spell are 2, for the Smoke, Shadow, Blood and Ice Burst spells.
- The picture on a Death Rune shows a skull & X, which is most likely meant to imitate the jolly roger or more commonly known as the skull & crossbones.
- Death was rolling a Death Rune with his fingers in 2009 Hallowe'en event. This may be a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean, when Jack did this with one of the cursed Aztec gold coins while in skeletal form.
- Prior to the Evolution of Combat update, death runes were used in Blast spells, Surge spells, Blitz spells and Barrage spells. The removal of their usage in these spells caused a dramatic fall in their Grand Exchange price.
- Although Death runes have no use in Dungeoneering for free players following the Evolution of Combat, they can still be runecrafted and can even be found in the starting room.
- In the German version of RuneScape, they're called "afterlife runes".