Strykewyrms are a race of wyrms released on 8 February 2010. With the exception of the Lava strykewyrm and the WildyWyrm, strykewyrms may only be killed by players who have them assigned as a slayer assignment, as the strykewyrm is able to sense the killing intent of the player. The lava strykewyrm and WildyWyrm, having been residing in an area where killing is frequent, have disregarded this and is the reason why they may be killed off-task.
|Image||Type||Combat level||Slayer level||Attacks||Weakness||Location||Notes|
|Jungle Strykewyrm||93||73||South of Feldip Hills and west of Oo'glog.||Jungle strykewyrms are the weakest among the strykewyrms. The Hexcrest is a unique Slayer item that is dropped by them.|
|Desert Strykewyrm||103||77||East of Al Kharid.||Although they are located in the Kharidian Desert, only the southern periphery of the area they reside in is affected by desert heat. The Focus sight is a unique Slayer item that is dropped by them.|
|Ice Strykewyrm||106||93||Northeast of Rellekka in the Ice strykewyrm cave.||They can only be killed when assigned on a slayer task or contract. To be assigned ice strykewyrms, a player must either own a fire cape or TokHaar-Kal, or have purchased the ability to fight them with 2,000 Slayer points. The Staff of light is a unique Slayer item that is dropped by them.|
|Freezy||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Freezy is a pet baby Ice strykewyrm.||It costs 100 co-op Slayer points to obtain and is only available in a Slayer master's store. Three alternate skins can be purchased to make Freezy appear as a lava, desert or jungle strykewyrm.|
|Lava Strykewyrm||115||94||South of the Lava maze, level 34-41 in the Wilderness.||Lava strykewyrms are the strongest among the strykewyrms. Lava strykewyrms have some unique drops: wyrm spikes, scalps, hearts and Searing ashes.|
|Lava strykewyrm (Dragonkin Laboratory)||101||1||Dragonkin Laboratory.||A slayer task can be completed on them, but they cannot drop searing ashes, wyrm spikes, hearts and scalps. They are much weaker than the normal variant and don't use a special attack.|
|WildyWyrm||1,337||94||Wilderness.||The WildyWyrm is a boss variant of regular lava strykewyrms. If it spawns, a world announcement is made.|
|WildyWyrm (historical)||382 (up to 562)||N/A||N/A||Wilderness.||At any time, Jagex Moderators were able to take control over these monsters. The current WildyWyrm was significantly altered after an update.|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- Increased strykewyrm attack ranges so players can no longer safespot them.
- ninja 1 August 2016 (Update):
- Jungle Strykewyrms now have 8,500 lifepoints (up from 6,000), a max hit of 643 (up from 268) and greater accuracy.
- Desert Strykewyrms now have 10,000 lifepoints (up from 8,000), a max hit of 710 (up from 296) and greater accuracy.
- Ice Strykewyrms now have 25,000 lifepoints (up from 15,000), a max hit of 729 (up from 304) and greater accuracy.
- Increased the amount of Slayer XP given by Ice strykewyrms.
- Players can now investigate Strykewyrm mounds from a distance, allowing players to stomp a mound when using ranged and magic combat styles.
- The delay in switching from mound to Strykewyrm has been reduced.
- ninja 20 July 2015 (Update):
- Players will now attack strykewyrms (with the exception of the WildyWyrm) as soon as the mound is stomped on.
- patch 14 January 2013 (Update):
- Corrected an issue where players in co-op slayer tasks against Strykewyrms could no longer fight back against the wyrm when the task was completed mid-fight.
- patch 24 October 2012 (Update):
- Players can no longer stand underneath a strykewyrm for so long before it decides to knock the player back.
- patch 7 September 2010 (Update):
- Strikewyrms would not perform their special attack if they thought you had a pet cat.
- patch 25 May 2010 (Update):
- Strykewyrms can still be damaged even if you've recently been in combat with ogres.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Following the Evolution of Combat, Strykewyrms are already stunned when the player stomps on the ground, excluding lava and wildywyrms.
- Also, a red circle surrounds the Strykewyrm, allowing for ease of ability use. However, if the player leaves combat stance just as they force the Strykewyrm out, this will vanish.
- Investigating a mound when not on a slayer task creates the message "Nothing interesting happens.", and the player performs an outdated version of the Think emote.
- An update allowed players to stomp on the mound from a distance, following player complaints of how slow the task was; while the strykewyrms were relatively easy to kill, players had to keep running to each mound to fight the strykewyrms.
- Patch updates later increased the health of the jungle, desert and ice strykewyrms to balance out the task speed.
- Strykewyrms resemble the aquatic predatory polychaete Eunice aphroditois (colloquially known as the Bobbit worm or sand striker) and look to be based on them.