|Release||25 March 2002 (Update)|
|High alch||96 coins|
|Low alch||64 coins|
|Logs cut from a yew tree.|
|Exchange||237 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Yew logs are logs obtained from cutting yew trees, which requires level 60 Woodcutting and grants 175 experience each. They have uses in both Firemaking and Fletching. Players can burn these logs with the Firemaking skill at level 60. They grant 202.5 experience when burned, or a maximum of 260 experience when used on a bonfire and up to 270.5 experience when more players are using it. Yew logs can also be made into bows and stocks using the Fletching skill. To fletch an unstrung shortbow, players need a of level 65 and will receive 67.5 experience. To fletch an unstrung shieldbow, players need a level of 70 and will receive 75 experience. Stringing the unstrung bows will give the same experience as fletching them.
Yew logs can also be used to travel on the balloon transport system, providing 4 charges.
Woodcutting[edit | edit source]
|Woodcutting XP||175 XP|
|Equipment XP||20.65 XP|
Products[edit | edit source]
- This list was created dynamically, and shows the first 100 items alphabetically.
- To force an update of this list, click .
- For an exhaustive list of items, click .
|Arrow shaft × 35||560|
|Divine yew tree||N/A|
| Magic logs|
|Yew incense sticks||1,113|
|Yew pyre logs||20,152|
|Yew shieldbow (u)||268|
|Yew shortbow (u)||352|
Yew logs and the economy[edit | edit source]
Historically, cutting yew trees and selling the logs used to be one of the best ways for free players to make money. Yew logs are usually in high demand from players who are trying to train Fletching. Yew logs increased in price due to Jagex's updates aiming to eliminate the use of bots. The value of yew logs is mainly driven by the high alchemy value of yew shieldbows (768 coins), which will pay almost completely for the yew logs and the nature runes needed to alchemise them. Purchasing the yew logs, nature runes, and bowstrings will result in a -197 gp change in net worth.
With the advent of the Grand Exchange, trading yew logs became easier, but much more competitive. Many players consider yew logs to be the best way to make money with woodcutting. Although magic logs are worth more per log, they are much slower to obtain than yew logs. Since yew logs are the highest logs available in F2P, they are a good source of profit to non-members, but yew tree spots are often very crowded, so bringing a crystal hatchet is recommended.
When the trade and drop update occurred on 10 December 2007, yew-cutting bots were almost completely eliminated from the game, causing the price of yew logs to rise drastically in the days that followed. This temporary spike was later followed by a corresponding drop in price. As cutting yews is a common method used by F2P bots, the price of yew logs is usually closely related to the number of bots operating in the game.
Since late 2014, yew logs have declined in price, due to the advent of divine yew trees, which give very fast Woodcutting experience, and the frequency and quantity of yew logs drops from high level monsters.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Adamant dragon||116||25 (noted)||3/512|
|Angry barbarian spirit||106||1||14/128|
|Ankou (elite)||72||2 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Ankou||60; 61; 63||2 (noted)||8/128|
|Barrel (Viyeldi caves)||N/A||1–3 (noted)||Rare[dr 1]||N/A|
|Berserk barbarian spirit||106||1||Uncommon|
|Black key black||N/A||Unknown||Rare||N/A|
|Black key brown||N/A||Unknown||Rare||N/A|
|Black key crimson||N/A||Unknown||Rare||N/A|
|Black key purple||N/A||13||Rare||N/A|
|Black key red||N/A||Unknown||Rare||N/A|
|Chaos Elemental F2P||305||50 (noted)||Rare|
|Crwys worker||97||1 (noted)||Common||N/A|
|Demon boss Non-Wilderness||200||60||38/128|
|Demon boss Wilderness||200||60||38/128|
|Desert strykewyrm||103||10 (noted)||Common|
|Enraged barbarian spirit||106||1||Uncommon|
|Ferocious barbarian spirit||106||1; 3||Uncommon|
|Former vampyre||N/A||8 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Giant mole Normal||230||15–30 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Giant mole Hard Mode||230||40 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Greater demon (elite)||92||20–60 (noted)||Common|
|Greater demon||82||6 (noted)||Common|
|King Black Dragon||276||50; 80 (noted)||Common|
|Lava strykewyrm||115||25 (noted)||1/24|
|Mutated jadinko baby||93||13–17 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Mutated jadinko guard||96||13–17 (noted)||Common|
|Mutated jadinko male||100||13–17 (noted)||Common|
|Mystery box (Court Cases)||N/A||60–100||1/10||N/A|
|Premier Club Vault||N/A||1–16||Varies||N/A|
|Queen Black Dragon||900||300 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Rare drop table||?||675–825 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Rare drop table||?||68–82 (noted)||4/64||N/A|
|Shade Catacombs/Rewards||N/A||5–15 (noted)||Varies||N/A|
|Silver key black||N/A||10–15 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Silver key brown||N/A||10–15 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Silver key crimson||N/A||10–15 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Silver key purple||N/A||10–15 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Silver key red||N/A||10–15 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Skeleton (Uncharted Isles)||93||12||Uncommon|
|Spiritual ranger||49; 98||5 (noted)||8/128|
|Tormented soul (Uncharted Isles)||93||5 (noted)||Unknown|
|Vampyre Juvinate||N/A||5 (noted)||Uncommon||N/A|
|Yew tree (Farming)||60||1||Always||N/A|
- ^ There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Logs and hides|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||34.0%|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- A Firemaker's Log ( 20) – Burn each of the listed logs.
- Are Yew As Fired Up As I Am? ( 15) – Burn a yew log on the east gatehouse of Lumbridge Castle.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 20 April 2015 (Update):
- Players can now cut oak, willow, maple, yew, magic and elder logs into increasing quantities of arrow shafts.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- 15 yew logs are a possible prize from Treasure Hunter.
- Noted yew logs can sometimes be found inside barrels.
- One full inventory of yew logs gives exactly 4,900 Woodcutting experience. Cutting and selling one full inventory of Yew logs would make 6,636 coins on the Grand Exchange.
- Players would need to cut 72,919 yew logs to go from 60 to 99 woodcutting. This would make the player 17,281,803 coins at current Grand Exchange price using this method. Cutting yew logs from level 60 all the way to 200 million exp would earn the player 270,758,280 coins at current Grand Exchange price.
- Firemaking with an augmented crystal tinderbox or Pyro-matic will grant 18 item xp per log or 504 xp per inventory of 28 at a bonfire with 5+ players. 2240 logs would be required to get this to level 10 or 4564 to level 12.
|Gielinor Games (discontinued)|