||20 November 2012 (Update)
|Applies a damage-over-time effect to the target, dealing 100-188% of the active spell's damage over 6 seconds. If the target moves location, they suffer 2x damage instead.
|Infobox • Talk page
Combust is a basic Magic ability. When activated the target takes damage over 6 seconds, dealing 5 hits that total to 100-188% of active spell damage. If the opponent moves while under the effect of combust the damage taken doubles. This persists unless the opponent moves back to their original spot when they got hit, in which damage stops being doubled. The percentage is decided on the first hit, and each subsequent hit will deal the same damage as the first. Notably, the 100% is a minimum damage and it functions well as auxiliary damage, especially when combined with another ability such as Asphyxiate.
Ranged has a functionally identical bleed to Combust in Fragmentation Shot. Melee also has a bleed akin to Combust: Dismember, a basic ability with the same base damage potential but without the double damage effect.
Like most other damage-over-time abilities, the damage of this ability is not increased by:
- Damage-boosting prayers/curses
- Additional damage applied by having boosted levels (for example from potions; note that this is a separate damage increase to the base damage increase from having a higher level)
- Damage increasing abilities (for example Sunshine), with the exception of Metamorphosis
- All variants of Void Knight equipment
- Hexcrest and all slayer helm variants
- Salve amulet and its enchanted version
This may make it less desirable in some situations, but due to its higher-than-normal minimum hit, it is still one of the higher-damage abilities on average. However, Combust also has an abnormally high chance of hitting its minimum damage, which makes its average ability damage 120.6% (compared to Dragon Breath, which has an average ability damage of 112.8% and is affected by the above boosts).
The Lunging perk increases the base damage of this ability by 20% per rank, but moving the target only does 1.5x damage instead of 2x.
- Although not obvious, Combust could be combined with Asphyxiate to increase the chance of killing your opponent. However, this should only be done after they have moved, as Asphyxiate will keep them in place and prevent the double damage.
- Due to its low damage nature, ignoring it is actually the best method as long as you do not move. Freedom is not recommended.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 26 November 2018 (Update):
- Bleeds no longer deal 1 damage on their first hit in PvP.
- Frag Shot and Combust now share a cooldown.
- During the EoC beta, Combust dealt 200% damage.