|Release||16 February 2015 (Update)|
|It's made of pure fire.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|72 / 48 / 24|
|94||1,872||Lava strykewyrms, Strykewyrms|
4 ticks (2.4s)
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Lava strykewyrms are strykewyrms found in the Wilderness, south of the Lava Maze, residing in level 34-41 Wilderness. They require level 94 Slayer to kill and can be assigned by Kuradal, Morvran, Mandrith, or Laniakea. Unlike their other cousins where a slayer task is required to harm them, lava strykewyrms can be killed off-task. This is due to the dangers of the Wilderness, and as such these strykewyrms already sense the killing intents of those who would disturb them. However, killing them off-task greatly reduces the chances of obtaining wyrm components. They are a reincarnation of the original WildyWyrms.
Lava strykewyrms can drop wyrm spikes, scalps and hearts, which can be used with abyssal whips, dark bows, or staves of light respectively to create the lava whip, strykebow, and the staff of darkness. They also drop searing ashes, which give 200 Prayer experience upon scattering, and are also used to create Aggression potions.
If the player is killing lava strykewyrms for a Slayer assignment then they can gain 20% additional Slayer experience by equipping a demonic skull. They can gain another 20% extra experience per kill if they accept a special slayer contract from Erskine while assigned lava strykewyrms as a Slayer task. These experience bonuses are multiplicative with one another, meaning the player may gain 44% extra Slayer experience when benefitting from both. Completing a special slayer contract rewards the player with a choice of coins or combat experience. As lava strykewyrms are only found in the Wilderness and in the Dragonkin Laboratory, the latter of which provides a safer area but at the cost of less rewards, a contract should be taken if killing in the Wilderness.
Killing lava strykewyrms can be extremely profitable, as their ashes are currently worth 94,396 coins each due to their high demand for prayer training and use in aggression potions and aggroverloads, with a small supply due to the dangers of the Wilderness. Outside of the ashes and unique drops, lava strykewyrms also have a generous drop table.
As they are located in moderately deep Wilderness, do not take items you are unwilling to lose.
Lava strykewyrms cannot be placed in the Sunken Pyramid - attempting to do so will state that it requires a volcanic environment to survive.
Locations[edit | edit source]
|South of the Lava Maze (level 34-41 Wilderness)||115||12||Maplink|
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Drops[edit | edit source]
The average Lava strykewyrm kill is worth 136,641.19 coins.
100%[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Searing ashes (m)||1||Always||94,396||1|
Charms[edit | edit source]
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 4,838 kills.|
3 items are dropped at a time.
Main drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity[d 1]||GE Price||High Alch|
|Medium plated rune salvage||1||1/24||22,414||24,000|
|Large bladed rune salvage||1||1/12||30,444||32,000|
|Huge plated rune salvage||1||1/36||38,621||40,000|
|Wild arrow (m)||50–70||4/37||4,550-6,370||9,000-12,600|
|Dragon bolts (e) (m)||50–100||7/120||19,800-39,600||31,850-63,700|
|Onyx bolts (e) (m)||25||1/160||190,425||225,000|
|Uncut dragonstone (m)||1||3/64||5,526||600|
|Gold stone spirit||10–20||1/12||890-1,780||Not alchemisable|
|Adamantite stone spirit||8–20||1/40||240-600||Not alchemisable|
|Runite stone spirit||2||1/76||1,842||Not alchemisable|
|Yew logs||25 (noted)||1/24||8,150||2,400|
|Magic logs||12–25 (noted)||1/24||5,544-11,550||2,304-4,800|
|Black dragonhide||7–11 (noted)||1/36||13,384-21,032||336-528|
|Fury shark (m)||1||1/35||300||300|
|Weapon poison (2) (m)||1||1/108||645||57|
|Saradomin brew (2) (m)||1||1/108||5,016||90|
|Zamorak brew (2) (m)||1||1/108||603||90|
|Super attack (2) (m)||1||1/108||1,673||81|
|Super strength (2) (m)||1||1/108||4,522||99|
|Super magic potion (2) (m)||1||1/108||5,848||120|
|Super ranging potion (2) (m)||1||1/108||11,284||129|
|Super defence (2) (m)||1||1/108||5,559||118|
|Antipoison (2) (m)||1||1/108||212||129|
|Searing ashes (m)||5 (noted)||5/92||471,980||5|
|Rare drop table||1||1/120||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
Tertiary drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Wyrm spike (m)||1||1/12288[d 1]||9,276,365||72,000|
|Wyrm heart (m)||1||1/12288[d 1]||34,052,709||72,000|
|Wyrm scalp (m)||1||1/12288[d 1]||10,238,914||72,000|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard) (m)||1||10/1024||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite) (m)||1||5/1024||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1 (m)||1||1/2000[d 2]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2 (m)||1||1/2000[d 2]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3 (m)||1||1/2000[d 2]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Starved ancient effigy (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but they will increase the chance of accessing the rare drop table and may also improve the loot received from it.
|Rare drop table:|
Wilderness drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the Wilderness shared loot table, which is a tertiary drop. To access the table, it has to be killed inside the Wilderness.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but do increase the chance of doing so, as does doing higher-level content.
|Wilderness shared loot table:|
Universal drops[edit | edit source]
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Mimic kill token (m)||1||Very rare||14,878||Not alchemisable|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 January 2020 (Update):
- patch 14 November 2016 (Update):
- Lava strykewyrms will no longer reduce damage taken for the first 10 seconds.
- ninja 2 March 2015 (Update):
- Anticipation and Freedom now prevents lava strykewyrms from dragging the player towards them.
- Lava strykewyrms now drop new level 85 wild arrows to pair with a strykebow.
- Players can now retaliate instantly against another player while fighting a strykewyrm. The strykewyrm will also stop attacking.
- Lava strykewyrms now give more Slayer experience per kill.
- Searing ashes now grant 200xp when scattered.
- The Wildywyrm's chance of spawning has been greatly increased.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Lava strykewyrms were originally supposed to be placed between the Lava Maze and Red Dragon Isle, but they were eventually moved south-west of the Lava Maze following complaints about being in a deep multi-combat area and near a potentially active Wilderness Warbands camp.
- Initially, lava strykewyrms gave 1404 slayer experience per kill when assigned for a task. This was changed due to player complaints on the dangers of the Wilderness, their damaging attacks and the 50% damage reduction for 10 seconds at the beginning of the fight (which was also later removed), and they now give more Slayer experience than combat experience.
- There was a glitch where if a player was assigned lava strykewyrms, even though the slayer master said "lava strykewyrms", players who quickchatted/blocked the task said WildyWyrms instead. This has since been fixed.
- Prior to the Patch Notes on 2 March 2015, a player in combat with a lava strykewyrm would be unable to retaliate if attacked by another player. Additionally, neither Anticipate nor Freedom would be able to prevent the pull of a Lava strykewyrm's burrow attack.
- Sometimes, a glitch can occur where the wyrm will stop attacking the player for a few seconds. This is due to the lava strykewyrm attempting to use its burrow attack but unable to as the player is too far to be dragged/the strykewyrm cannot burst from that location.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this monster was 29,997 kills.
- Interestingly, while a wyrm is attempting to burrow underneath the player, it displays a weakness to crush despite being unable to be attacked during this attack.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Noted if carrying Wilderness sword 4
- ^ Mod Pi. "Pi Regarding future fury shark." 16 December 2014. Future Game Updates Forums. The drop rate of this item is 1/35 (1/32 if the ring of Wealth is worn).
- ^ a b c Jagex. Mod Pi's Twitter account. 8 August 2018. (Archived from the original on 3 November 2020.) Mod Pi: "Lava noodles - 1/2056 on task, 1/4096 off task Wildy wyrm - 1/512 - 1 drop per kill limit"
- ^ a b c Jagex. Mod Pi's Twitter account. 18 March 2019. (Archived from the original on 3 November 2020.) Mod Pi: "From lava strykes the chance of getting on the weapon drop tables is 1/4k off taks and 1/2k on task. Once you're on that it's a straight 1/3 for which one you get."
- ^ This drop only attempts to roll should you fail to roll a hard clue, should you get this item, there's a 1% chance it'll be upgraded to a sealed clue scroll (master).
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Slayer Creature. Reddit. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. Reddit. 6 May 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
|Fremennik Slayer Dungeon|
|Lumbridge Swamp Caves|
|Poison Waste Slayer Dungeon|
|Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon|
|Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon|
|God Wars Dungeon|
|Taverley Slayer Dungeon|
|Monastery of Ascension|
|Sophanem Slayer Dungeon|