|Release||15 March 2011 (Update)|
|High alch||6,000 coins|
|Low alch||4,000 coins|
|This mystical item radiates magical power.|
|Exchange||260,025 coins (info)|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Activating a Vecna skull temporarily raises the player's Magic level by 2-11 (2 + 10% of the player's level, rounded down). It can be activated an infinite number of times, but it can only be activated once every seven minutes per player, regardless of how many Vecna skulls are owned, with the exception of the Duel Arena - where, when you win or lose, the timer resets. A message will appear once seven minutes has passed that says " ".
This item cannot be lent. The boost will not work while your magic level is already boosted by any other effect. Players additionally cannot bring the Vecna skull into Fist of Guthix or the Duel Arena to gain an advantage in magical duels if the "no potions" option is enabled.
When you click on the "Draw power" from the Vecna Skull, a message appears in your chat box saying "The skull feeds off the life around you, boosting your magical ability."
It is dropped by every monster that has access to the Rare drop table.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Rare drop table||?||1||Rare[dr 1]||N/A|
- ^ There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Default disassembly items|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||98.9%|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 March 2017 (Update):
- You can now draw power from the Vecna skull as soon as it is off cooldown.
- patch 6 December 2011 (Update):
- The vecna skull's time remaining message now uses correct grammar when the timer reaches 1 minute remaining.
- patch 12 April 2011 (Update):
- This item is now restricted using the ‘No Potions’ rules in Duel Arena and Clan Wars.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Vecna is a powerful arch-lich and deity in the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. Traditionally, the items associated with Vecna are his severed hand and eye.
- When the Vecna skull was first released there was a glitch that allowed it to be used within the Duel Arena even with "No Drinks" duel option selected, which gave players an unfair advantage in mage stakes.
- After an update on 8 September 2014, it temporarily increases the player's Magic level by 2-11 (2 + 10% of the player's level, rounded down). This makes the boost stronger than the magic potion at all levels, but equal or worse than super magic potion or extreme magic at any level.
- Due to the 8 September 2014 change to the skull's boost, players with high Magic levels were unable to reapply the skull's boost after the seven minute cooldown has passed. Attempting to do so yielded the following message in the chatbox: "6 March 2017. ". This was caused by the initial boost lingering despite the time passed, e.g. players with a Magic level of 99 would have found that their Magic level was still boosted to 103/99 (down from 110/99 when the skull was first activated) after seven and a half minutes had passed, forcing them to wait several more minutes before they could activate the skull again. This was fixed on
- The imbued heart in Old School RuneScape has the same functionality as the Vecna skull.