Monastery of Ascension
|Monastery of Ascension|
|Release date||4 June 2013 (Update)|
|Cannon allowed||Not allowed|
|Inhabitants||Order of Ascension|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Monastery of Ascension, or the Ascension dungeon, is a high-level Slayer dungeon in the Feldip Hills that contains a number of magic-based monsters, all of which are weak to Ranged. The monastery is home to the Order of Ascension, a former Guthixian group that has been kidnapping local villagers. To enter the dungeon, players must have a Slayer level of 81 or higher, which may be boosted. The bosses themselves require 95 Slayer (which can be boosted) in order to be fought, however.
The main purpose of the dungeon is for hunting the ascension crossbow. The crossbow is made by combining a dragon crossbow, the six different ascension signets dropped by the legiones bosses, and 100 ascension shards. The legiones are accessed by using the ascension keystones on their individual laboratories. Ascension keystones are dropped by all monsters in the dungeon, including the legiones themselves.
Location[edit | edit source]
The Monastery of Ascension is located north-west of Oo'glog. Fast ways to get nearby are with the Oo'glog lodestone, a ring of duelling, spirit tree or South Feldip Hills Teleport to the southern Feldip Hills, or using the charter ship to Oo'glog. Players can also teleport to the fairy ring coordinates aks and travel south-west to reach the temple.
A tour of the dungeon[edit | edit source]
The dungeon is on one level, with the entrance and exit at the most southwestern point. Rorarii, Gladii, Capsarii and Scutarii are scattered around the dungeon, which extends around a giant pit in the middle of the dungeon, which can be bypassed by using the three agility shortcuts to shorten the run to a specific location. The closest shortcut to the exit requires 80 Agility, the middle shortcut requires 70 Agility and the furthest one requires 60 Agility, all of which may be boosted.
There is a reserve area containing additional members deep in the dungeon, requiring 90 Agility in order to access. This can be boosted.
There are also six labs for the Legiones, with Primus' being the closest and Sextus being the farthest.
NPCs[edit | edit source]
The only non-player character near the monastery is Ocellus, found directly outside the entrance. He tells the player to go down and stop the Order of Ascension from kidnapping the villagers. He can also combine the appropriate items into an ascension crossbow.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Slayer creatures[edit | edit source]
All four of the creatures require 81 Slayer and can be assigned by Duradel/Lapalok, Kuradal, Morvran or Laniakea. All of them are found around the monastery, though some areas are more packed with specific Ascension members than others. Refer to the map for details.
|Monster||Picture||Combat level||Life points||Slayer xp||Notes|
|Rorarius||84||6000||140||Although weak individually, bear in mind that when attacking one member of a group of Rorarii they will all attack you.|
|Gladius||91||8000||220.2||Gladii will charge at you and stun you quite often, before teleporting away twice and resuming normal attacks.|
|Capsarius||105||3750||146.6||Capsarii are weak by themselves, but heal damaged units and make them invincible. It is highly recommended to kill the Capsarii as they spawn - nearby NPCs will become nigh-on invincible if targeted by her defence buffs and healing.|
|Scutarius||105||10000||390.2||Scutarii take drastically lower damage when attacked from the front, so it is highly advised to attack them from behind.|
Legiones[edit | edit source]
|Legio Primus||Primus||Signet I||Lightning strikes become increasingly powerful.|
|Legio Secundus||Secundus||Signet II||Uses lightning strikes more often.|
|Legio Tertius||Tertius||Signet III||Summons fellow Ascended to aid him.|
|Legio Quartus||Quartus||Signet IV||Teleports the player next to or near him.|
|Legio Quintus||Quintus||Signet V||Creates the Line of Ascension, which deals heavy damage if walked over or directly on.|
|Legio Sextus||Sextus||Signet VI||Uses lightning exclusively, which lasts for seven seconds and has a greater area of effect.|
Unique items[edit | edit source]
Ascension crossbow[edit | edit source]
The most sought after item in the dungeon, the ascension crossbow is made by giving Ocellus the six signets of the legiones, a main hand dragon crossbow, and 100 ascension shards. It degrades the same way as drygore weaponry, lasting for 10 hours until it must be repaired by Bob for 2 million coins or a lower amount on a player's armour stand depending on their Smithing level. A further 100 shards can be added to make an off-hand ascension crossbow. The bolts for the crossbow are made by fletching ascension shards, requiring 90 Fletching and giving one bolt per shard.
Ascension keystone[edit | edit source]
Another sought after item which is a must to make the Ascension crossbow. It can be dropped by any of the monsters. There are six different types of keystones, and each one only lasts for one kill before disintegrating.
Ascension grips[edit | edit source]
If the player is on a slayer task, all creatures in the dungeon including the bosses have a 1/2056 chance to drop Ascension grips, which are high level Ranged power gloves.
Ascension fragments and shards[edit | edit source]
The slayer monsters also drop ascension fragments, which can be fletched with bronze bolts and bronze arrows to create fragment bolts and fragment arrows, respectively, which are nearly useless against most creatures, but are equivalent to royal bolts against the Ascension creatures. The slayer monsters also drop Ascension shards, which can be fletched into ascension bolts, which work well with the Ascension crossbow.
History of the Order[edit | edit source]
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- Ocellus Virius Notus ( 20) – Complete History of the Order of the Ascension. (X/22)
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 17 October 2016 (Update):
- The Ascension Dungeon boss labs warning has been changed to a Doomsayer warning, allowing players to toggle it off.
- patch 9 June 2014 (Update):
- Ascension creatures will no longer occasionally have text displaying their weakness as Magic.
- patch 27 May 2014 (Update):
- The Monastery of Ascension shortcuts and areas now appear in the Agility skill guide.
- ninja 17 February 2014 (Update):
- The beams will now disappear immediately in the Ascension Dungeon room after Quintus has been killed.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- Fixed an issue causing ambient music to not play correctly in the Monastery of Ascension.
- patch 17 December 2013 (Update):
- Creatures in the Ascension dungeon will now display the correct weakness icon.
- hotfix 3 December 2013 (Update):
- patch 25 September 2013 (Update):
- Text no longer gets cut off in dialogue boxes during the Monastery of Ascension.
- patch 17 June 2013 (Update):
- hotfix 4 June 2013 (Update):
- Legio NPCs in the Ascension Dungeon now work with the Cruelty scrimshaw correctly.
- The dead slave in the Ascension Dungeon no longer attempts to give out items from the Within the Light quest.
- Fragmentation ammo now deals less damage to Ascension Dungeon NPCs.
- "Reflect" style damage now deals 0 damage against Ascension bosses.
- Updated the Ascension dungeon monster drop tables.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The dungeon's inhabitants are similar to the Polypore Dungeon, as they were transformed by another entity, use magic attacks, and are optimally killed with one combat style; ranged for the Order of Ascension units, and magic for the Polypore creatures. However, the Order of Ascension units are simply highly resistant to attacks of the wrong combat style, whereas the Polypore creatures have a damage cap applied.
- The dungeon's inhabitants each have their own spawn animation, whereas most monsters simply "appear".
- When mousing over the inhabitants of the dungeon to see their weaknesses, sometimes the monster may show a "Nothing" weakness, while others show the Ranged weakness. Attacking a monster that shows a "Nothing" weakness turns into the ranged weakness.
- A day after the dungeon's release, the monsters in the dungeon received an improved drop table. Prior to this, none of the monsters dropped charms and dropped low level equipment that was not worth their combat level.
- This dungeon is the only Slayer dungeon that has a level requirement to enter, with the exception of Kuradal's dungeon, which can only be entered while on a task from Kuradal; requiring level 75 Slayer.
- The dungeon seems to be completely inspired by Ancient Rome. There are many areas that show that it is mainly of Roman influence. For example, Gladius is the basic ancient roman sword, from which the famous gladiators took the name. Also, the names have Roman numerals in them, such as "Ascension Keystone I", "Ascension Signet IV", etc. The names of the Legiones are also based on Roman ordinal numbers.
- Capsarii (plural of capsarius) comes from the Latin word 'capsarius', meaning a slave who took care of things. Usually this was referred to those who served as help for doctors practising medicine, which bears similarities to this monster's ability to heal other monsters.
- Rorarii (plural of rorarius) comes from the Latin word for 'skirmisher', as well as meaning 'light-armed troops' in military terms.
- Scutarii (plural of scutarius) comes from the Latin word for 'shield-bearer', bearing similarities to this monster's appearance.
- The Statue of Guthix is most likely the Order's attempt at combining human bodies to create a new Guthix, due to the dead bodies and crystals on a platform in the middle as well as the examine text saying the statue "glows with unnatural energy".
- In several "prison areas" there are dead villagers. Upon examination they can give the following:
- Ocellus spoke of kidnappings. This person must have been one of them.
- Ocellus spoke of kidnappings. Such a waste.
- Ocellus spoke of kidnappings. This person must have been one of the unlucky ones.
- Ocellus spoke of kidnappings. No one should have to meet their fate down here.