Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon
|Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon|
|Release date||5 June 2008 (Update)|
|Main music||Slain to Waste, Desert Smoke, Simian Scuffle|
|Dwarf multicannon allowed||Allowed|
|Quests taking place here||Smoking Kills - Do No Evil|
|Inhabitants||Undead, turoth, kurasks, cave crawlers and basilisks|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon is a large dungeon found beneath the desert town of Pollnivneach. Players can access part of the dungeon during the Smoking Kills quest and the full dungeon after completing the quest. The area was released on 5 June 2008.
This dungeon is full of smoke, like the nearby Smoke Dungeon, and players must wear a smoke protection item (either masked earmuffs, a slayer helmet, or a full slayer helmet) or they will periodically suffer 200 damage from the smoke. A standard (or full) slayer helmet is most recommended, as it provides protection from the smoke and from the effects of some Slayer monsters in the dungeon.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Using a ring of slaying to teleport to Sumona is the fastest and most efficient way to get there, although this requires completion of Smoking Kills.
- Use the Desert amulet 2 or higher to teleport to Nardah, then take the magic carpet to Pollnivneach.
- If a player's house is in Pollnivneach, they can teleport to their house. If the player has completed Love Story, a Pollnivneach tablet can be used regardless of the player's house location.
- Using the magic carpets, players can pay a fee (or ride freely using the ring of charos) to Pollnivneach.
- From the Bandit Camp's lodestone, walk east to Pollnivneach, or take the shortcut in the Smoke Dungeon.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Upper level[edit | edit source]
1. Southern chamber. This contains the entrance from/exit to Pollnivneach. The ghost of Catolax is here, and a player who is wearing a ghostspeak amulet can speak with him. To the west of the chamber is a path to the Smoke Dungeon.
2. Central chamber. This area is filled with aggressive level 91 mighty banshees. Players should wear either a slayer helmet or a set of masked earmuffs, to protect against both the smoke and the monsters' screams.
3. Northern chamber. During the Smoking Kills quest, this room contains the level 93 Banshee Mistress, which the player must fight. The masked earmuffs are vital for this fight. She has four insectoid assassins, who attack using ranged when her health gets low and she calls out, "Minions, assist me!". The Protect from Melee prayer is recommended until the insectoid assassins attack, whereupon Protect from Ranged is worthwhile.
4. Stairs chambers. These four chambers contain stairs down to the lower level.
Lower level[edit | edit source]
5. Stairs chambers. These four chambers contain stairs up to the upper level.
6. Central chamber. Many level 78 aberrant spectres are here. They are aggressive. A slayer helmet is necessary for players wishing to fight the spectres, since it is the only item that protects against both the smoke and the monsters' stench.
7. Cave crawler caves. When the player completes Smoking Kills, the level 96 monstrous cave crawler inhabits these caves. Once this monster is killed, these caves are home to many level 78 cave crawlers. They are poisonous, so players should carry a poison defence like antipoison.
Deep in these caves is a portal that teleports a player to the cave crawler cavern of the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon. Be aware that this is a one-way teleport!
8. Basilisk caves. When the player completes Smoking Kills, the level 96 basilisk boss inhabits these caves. Once this monster is killed, these caves are home to many level 70 and 77 basilisks. They are not aggressive. Players should wield a mirror shield when fighting these creatures.
Deep in these caves is a portal that teleports to the basilisk cavern of the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon. Be aware that this is a one-way teleport!
9. Turoth caves. When the player completes Smoking Kills, the level 96 mightiest turoth inhabits these caves. Once this monster is killed, these caves are home to many level 64-71 turoths. They are not aggressive. Players should use a leaf-bladed weapon or the Slayer Dart spell when fighting these creatures.
Deep in these caves is a portal that teleports to the turoth cavern of the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon. Be aware that this is a one-way teleport!
10. Kurask caves. When the player completes Smoking Kills, the level 96 kurask overlord inhabits these caves. Once this monster is killed, these caves are home to many level 78 kurasks. Players should use a leaf-bladed weapon or the Slayer Dart spell when fighting these creatures.
Deep in these caves is a portal that teleports to the kurask cavern of the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon. Be aware that this is a one-way teleport!
Portals[edit | edit source]
The four portals in the lower level lead directly caverns in the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon, as described above. Using them is one of the fast methods to get into this dungeon. It is an especially fast way if using a ring of slaying, as using the ring's teleport to Sumona in Pollnivneach is a quick way to get to the Desert Slayer Dungeon and thus the portals. However, if using a ring of slaying, then the Rellekka Slayer Caves teleport to the entrance to these caves is an ultimately faster way to get into the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon, and not requiring the use of a modified Slayer headpiece. However, without 81 Agility, the portals will be much faster to reach deeper in monsters rather than running in the twists and bends of the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon.
Boss fights[edit | edit source]
The four outer sets of caves on the lower level are shielded by mystic barriers. After completing Smoking Kills, each set of caves contains a boss monster, and crossing the barrier starts a boss fight. Whenever a boss is killed, a bonus 1,000 Slayer experience is earned. After the boss fight, its caves are filled with the boss's associated monsters. Players are prevented from using the whole cavern; rocks will prevent the player from escaping via portal, and will be holed up in the first cavern of that monster's room. Defeating all four of these bosses is a requirement for the trimmed completionist cape and master quest cape.
- You can only kill each boss once.
- If players are willing to fight them, they are given a warning to be ready to fight the boss. Make sure you have your equipment!
- Upon defeating the boss, you will end up right outside the room. Make sure if you are ranging, without Ava's devices, to pick up your bolts.
- If you kill a boss during a Slayer assignment of its respective monster (e.g., kill the mighty turoth when on a turoth Task) will not receive additional Slayer experience.
Monstrous cave crawler (level 96)[edit | edit source]
Perhaps the hardest of the 4 bosses due to its unusual poison effects.
The attacks of the monstrous cave crawler will poison and lower the player's resistance to poison rapidly, so that the poison damage increases over time, starting with an initial damage of six, similar to Har'Lakk the Riftsplitter. Anti-poison does not last as long due to the corrosive poison, in one or two poison hits a super antipoison will be nullfied.. Therefore, it is essential to bring several antipoison or two super antipoison, antipoison+, or antipoison++. An anti-poison totem is ineffective.
Poison purge is a great way to turn this powerful poison into an advantage.
Use the Protect from Missiles prayer. Normal melee combat works well here.
Basilisk boss (level 96)[edit | edit source]
To fight the basilisk boss, Protect from Magic is strongly recommended as it can hit high and quite often even with high magic defence armour. Even with prayer protection, restore potions or super restore potions are also advised as the boss will drastically reduce stats during the fight. Since it is a basilisk, remember to bring a mirror shield. Activate Protect from magic before stepping through the gate as the boss instantly attacks. The boss has a very high Defence so prepare for a long battle, depending on your level. Extra prayer potions are recommended as is a super attack potion (prayer potions can be replaced by super restore potions).
Mightiest turoth (level 96)[edit | edit source]
The mightiest turoth should be fought using Protect from Melee, and is immune to all standard attacks excluding those made with the following: leaf-bladed spear, leaf-bladed sword, broad arrows, broad-tipped bolts, or the Slayer Dart spell. It will spawn four level 68 swarming turoths as you fight; these also attack you. There are several safe spots that may be used during the fight if you choose to range or mage.
Kurask overlord (level 96)[edit | edit source]
The kurask overlord is best fought using the Protect from Melee prayer and is immune to all standard attacks excluding those made with the following: leaf-bladed spear, leaf-bladed sword, broad arrows, broad-tipped bolts, or the Slayer Dart spell. It will spawn several kurask minions during the fight. You may ignore the minions as the battle will end when you defeat the overlord. There are several safe spots that may be used during the fight if you choose to range or mage. It's still highly recommended to use Protect from Melee when safespotting as a Kurask minion will attack you from your safespot.
Personalities[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
- Banshee Mistress (level 93; During Smoking Kills only)
- Insectoid assassin (level 81; During Smoking Kills only)
- Mighty banshee (level 91)
- Aberrant spectre (level 78)
Desert Slayer Dungeon miniquest
- Monstrous cave crawler (level 96)
- Basilisk boss (level 96)
- Mightiest turoth (level 96)
- Swarming turoth (level 68)
- Kurask overlord (level 96)
- Kurask minion (level 63)
- Turoth (levels 64, 66, 68, 69, 71)
- Kurask (level 78)
- Cave crawler (level 78)
- Basilisk (levels 70, 77)
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- Desert Slayer Dungeon ( 20) – Defeat four boss monsters after the 'Smoking Kills' quest.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite the boss residing in the caverns, you can only see the lesser, more basic versions of that monster, not the boss until you enter the room.
- Sumona is in charge of the mystic portals. This is when you finish Smoking Kills, she lowers the mystic barriers to allow you to pass through, giving you access to the bottom floor.
- A small part of the dungeon can be seen from the Creature Creation minigame dungeon where the Jubster is, when using the orb of oculus. The same can be done from the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon.
|Part 11 of the Desert quest series|