Waterbirth Island Dungeon
|Waterbirth Island Dungeon|
|Released||1 August 2005 (Update)|
|See map section|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Waterbirth Island Dungeon is a large and very dangerous dungeon found under Waterbirth Island and consists of several sublevels that contain powerful, aggressive monsters. Players must be prepared to encounter all three combat styles. Few safespots are available, so adventurers who wish to explore the dungeon must take caution.
Dungeon info[edit | edit source]
|Waterbirth Island Dungeon|
|Databox • Talk page|
Getting there[edit | edit source]
Player can navigate to the Waterbirth Island Dungeon in multiple different ways:
- Jarvald at the Rellekka docks can sail the player to the Waterbirth Island from where the dungeon can be accessed by climbing down the ladder.
- Mask of the Dagannoth or Helm of the Dagannoth can be used to teleport twice per day, next to the entrance to the dungeon.
- After unlocking Lunar spells player can cast Waterbirth teleport or Tele-group Waterbirth.
- After finishing the Hard Fremennik achievements players can use Enchanted lyre to teleport near the entrance.
- Using the Boss portal (Max Guild) or the Boss portal (War's Retreat) players can teleport to the Dagannoth Kings which is inside of the dungeon.
Sublevels[edit | edit source]
Sublevel 1[edit | edit source]
As soon as the player descends the stairs to enter the dungeon, they will be in a massive cavern, also known as sublevel 1, filled with level 78 Dagannoth with numerous eggs dotting the walls, releasing dagannoth spawns to attack the player. The western half of the dungeon also contains some small rock crabs in boulder form.
There is also a small summoning obelisk to the east, near the gates. The gates can be opened by a single player, and there are three paths to choose from.
Depending on which path is taken, the player will encounter the following monsters that use one of three attack styles:
- Northern path – Giant Rock Crabs (level 95)
- Middle path – magic-using Wallasalkis (level 91)
- Southern path – ranging Dagannoth (level 78)
It is worth noting that sometimes a few melee Dagannoth may have been stuck inside any of the rooms.
Opening the door to the central room[edit | edit source]
Each of the three paths leads further east to a central room with a ladder. However, it is blocked by three door-supports. The props can be knocked down with any attack; and it is possible to knock multiple door-supports by using multi target attacks, such as chain or hurricane.
Once the props are knocked down, and the player gets close to the ladder, the two eggs will release their spawn to attack the player, though the player can simply climb up or down before they have a chance to attack.
Once the player is in the central room, they can climb the ladder. Going down the ladder allows the player to go through the sublevels that lead to the Dagannoth Kings; going up the ladder will lead to Askeladden, who is on top of the snow-covered mountain in the east part of the island. The top part of the area is very useful for resting, espically when players are going to the Dagannoth Kings.
Sublevels 2 to 5[edit | edit source]
Rooms in sublevels 2 to 5 may contain:
- Wallasalkis, which use magic. Protect from Magic is highly recommended.
- Two types of Dagannoth: melee and ranged. If the player plans to run through the room, Protect from Ranged is recommended because the melee Dagannoth cannot run. Otherwise, the player should use Protect from Melee because the melee Dagannoth can actually follow the player, and they are potentially more dangerous than the ranging ones.
- Giant Rock Crabs, initially disguised as large stones. Upon entering the room, the player will be safe providing that the player stays where they are. However, if the player goes near a crab, it will attack. Players may want to go near the Giant rock crabs currently moving, as those will be non-aggressive.
- Rock lobsters, monsters similar to Giant rock crabs in that they are also disguised as large rocks. Protect from Melee is recommended.
At a dead end, players can find Bardur, who is fighting Dagannoth Fledglings. If the player gives him certain equipment to keep him going, he will hand the player a cooked shark in return, which may prove a bit helpful if the player wishes to explore the dungeon further.
If players continue on the other path, they will eventually find themselves in a bent area containing numerous rock lobsters, that attack with rapid melee. Eventually the path smooths out into a large chamber containing a mix of wallasalki, both types of dagannoth and giant rock crabs, all of whom are aggressive. There is a ladder surrounded by a pile of rocks and stalactites that provide a safe area for the player to rest. Heading down this ladder will lead to the Dagannoth Kings' arena.
If players continue down the passageway past the ladder, more rock lobsters will be found, with ladders leading back up a different area of sublevel 2. At sublevel 2, there is a final ladder, which if used, will bring players to the Lighthouse dungeon. In order to use this ladder, Horror from the Deep must be completed.
Sublevel 6[edit | edit source]
In this area reside the Dagannoth Kings in an islet surrounded by water. Each Dagannoth King is extremely powerful, and players should come prepared before fighting them.
Southern cave[edit | edit source]
During Blood Runs Deep, players gain access to a dungeon near the southern end of Waterbirth Island. It is the home of the Dagannoth Mother, two Dagannoth Sentinels, and many Dagannoth guardians. After the quest, only the guardians remain, since the player trapped the Mother and killed the Sentinels during the quest.
Cannons may not be placed in this area of the dungeon.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Wallasalki, level 79 and 91
Dagannoth, level 78 and 79
Rock lobster, level 100
Giant Rock Crab, level 95
Spinolyp, level 75
Dagannoth Prime, level 303
Dagannoth Supreme, level 303
Dagannoth Rex, level 303
Personalities[edit | edit source]
Map[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
- The Monsters Below (before the doors on sub-level 1)
- Subterranea (after the doors on sub-level 1)
- Xenophobe (from the beginning of sub-level 2 to the entrance to the Dagannoth Kings on sub-level 5)
- Three Kings (on sub-level 6)
- Dagannoth Dawn (past the entrance to the Dagannoth Kings)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bardur fighting fledgelings
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 23 June 2014 (Update):
- Players can now enter the Waterbirth Island dungeons without the need of a second player.
- patch 14 January 2013 (Update):
- Giant Rock Crabs found in Waterbirth Island dungeons have had their combat level reduced down to 136.
- patch 24 November 2010 (Update):
- Doors in Waterbirth Dungeon can no longer be bypassed by a single player.
- update 1 August 2005 (Update):
- Waterbirth Island is now accessible.
- Recently travellers passing through the Fremennik Province of Rellekka have mentioned some kind of commotion happening on the nearby Waterbirth Island. The normally picturesque beauty spot seems to have been overrun by a swarm of monsters, although the distrustful Fremenniks are giving little information away to outsiders.
- Those adventurers wishing to take on the challenge of a mysterious new dungeon, and possibly discover some new class-specific armours, should head immediately to Rellekka and speak to Jarvald, the new ferryman on the north-western side of town, who will provide passage to Waterbirth Island for all interested in joining the battle, whether they be a Fremennik or not.
- Waterbirth Island is now accessible.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Rune throwing axe was a popular weapon to bring to this dungeon before the Evolution of Combat, as it had a special attack that could ricochet and destroy multiple door supports.
- It is possible to attack through the door supports. Players will want to watch for the occasional Wallasalki that may go near the barrier and attack players.
- Previously, two players were required to go pass the doors near the beginning of the dungeon, as there were two switches that each player had to step on. Furthermore, door supports could only be attacked from behind, necessitating the use of ranged or magic to destroy the door of your partner, and allow them to destroy yours. The patch notes of 23 June 2014 changed this to the current way.
- The dungeon has only been partially updated graphically - that being the Dagannoth Kings' lair when their models were updated, while the rest of the dungeon has yet to receive a graphical update.
|Part 10 of the Fremennik quest series|