Asgarnian Ice Dungeon
|Asgarnian Ice Dungeon|
|Release date||6 April 2001 (Update)|
|Main music||Starlight, Woe of the Wyvern|
|Strongest monster||Wyvern (level 127)|
|Inhabitants||Humans, hobgoblins, ice warriors, ice giants, wyverns and skeletal wyverns|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Asgarnian Ice Dungeon is a moderately large dungeon in Asgarnia. It is found south of Port Sarim and north of Mudskipper Point (fairy ring AIQ), under a trapdoor. This dungeon is particularly dangerous to low level players, as every monster within it is aggressive. The dungeon is also crucial to The Knight's Sword quest as this is the only location in RuneScape that contains blurite rocks, allowing players to mine blurite ore. As of 17 October 2011 the dungeon was given a new harder layout to travel through to help lower the quantity of bots in that area.
Travel[edit | edit source]
When walking, go to Port Sarim and head south from the Port Sarim Jail, past a grove of willow trees. Go up the small hill and you will arrive at the trapdoor.
For faster transportation, players can use:
- A home teleport, to teleport to Port Sarim's lodestone, which is located in the central Port Sarim.
- Fairy ring code AIQ, which goes to Mudskipper Point.
- House Teleport, if the player has a player-owned house (members only) located in Rimmington.
- An Explorer's ring, which can teleport to the cabbage field north of Port Sarim.
- An amulet of glory, which can teleport to Draynor Village, the village east of Port Sarim.
- A clan vexillum, which can teleport to the clan camp area north of Port Sarim.
- The Captain's log, which can teleport to your POP portal. Then, just run south.
- A Dungeoneering cape to instantly teleport right into the dungeon, just outside the resource dungeon's entrance.
Map[edit | edit source]
Notable features[edit | edit source]
- Blurite – Blurite is an ore and this dungeon is its only location. Blurite is needed for The Knight's Sword and Defender of Varrock quests. Blurite is used to make blurite crossbow and bolts. There are aggressive level 51 ice giants and level 54 ice warriors guarding the rocks. For low level players, it may be advisable to take only a pickaxe and perhaps lots of food when attempting to mine the ore.
- Skeletal Wyverns (members only) – The level 109 skeletal wyverns are slayer assignments requiring a Slayer level of 72. An elemental shield (or similar defence, such as a Dragonfire shield) is necessary to avoid taking heavy damage from them. They can drop granite legs as well as the coveted draconic visage. Slaying a skeletal wyvern is a one of the requirements for the hard Falador achievements.
- Resource dungeon – There is also a resource dungeon located in this dungeon which requires level 85 Dungeoneering to get in. It consists of 12 frost dragons which are commonly killed for their bones which can earn several million coins an hour depending on your combat level.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Descend down the trapdoor to appear in a chamber by the bottom of the ladder. Walk west a ways and you will see many level 22 muggers. They often drop rope, so they are one of the few sources of free rope for players on tight budgets.
If players head north, they will find themselves in a large room full of level 26 pirates. This room has a few respawn points of coins (no more than 5 coins each spot). There are several chests here; most are empty but some occasionally contain a pot or a few coins. There is also a cross in the middle of the room.
There are two paths that lead east. A few hobgoblins, include several level 40s and one level 46, wander around here. Regardless of the path you take, you will end up in the same place, at the heart of the ice caves. This is where the dungeon becomes dangerous, especially for lower-level players, because of the large number of ice warriors patrolling the area.
Near the eastern wall of the central cavern are a few ice giants. The giants are popular to kill, as they drop big bones as well as mithril and Black items. It can be troublesome to try to attack the giants, as the aggressive, quick ice warriors often will attack first. It can be done, however, by using run, dodging around obstacles in cavern (which can hinder the warriors), and hugging the eastern wall (where fewer warriors go). Eventually while training here, the warriors and giants will become non-aggressive and players can attack freely.
It is recommended to bring plenty of food with you when training on ice giants or ice warriors. Using prayer can be useful, as there is an altar a bit north-west of the entrance to the dungeon. Fire spells work well against all of them.
The blurite rocks are found at the eastern and southern edges of this cavern.
The entrance to the chamber containing the Skeletal Wyverns is in the south of the central ice cavern. There is also a crumbling wall shortcut available to players with level 72 Agility to the east of the entrance of the dungeon. This chamber can be entered only by members. It is a very dangerous place, because of the wyverns, and players should be thoroughly prepared against the monsters before entering the chamber. Inside the skeletal wyvern cavern is a crevice that will lead down to their living counterparts, where the climate is even colder and they are much more dangerous.
The ice warriors and ice giants cannot attack any player standing in this spot under any conditions, and ranging/maging them from there usually results in the targeted monster retreating a distance away. This is a good place to rest up and wait for the blurite to respawn, or perform a teleport without being interrupted.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Wyvern, level 127
Skeletal Wyvern, level 109
Ice warrior, level 54
Ice giant, level 51
Hobgoblin, level 28 and 46
Pirate, level 26
Mugger, level 6
Quests[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 2 March 2020 (Update):.
- The frozen debuff bar no longer disappears upon re-entering the living wyvern area.
- ninja 28 November 2016 (Update):
- There is now an icon on the buff bar showing how cold the player is inside the wyverns' cavern.
- update 24 May 2001 (Update):