|Release||3 December 2009 (Update)|
|Music||The Horn of Chill|
|See map section|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Ghorrock is an abandoned Zarosian fortress located in The North. Only the lower two above-ground floors, the two dungeon levels, and the exterior can currently be accessed. There is at least one more floor that cannot be reached as well as numerous doors and trapdoors that cannot be opened. The fortress is entered via arches in the southern wall. An intact statue of General Khazard is present in the fortress's courtyard. Completing a small portion of The Temple at Senntisten is required to melt the Ice Block and enter the fortress.
Dungeon info[edit | edit source]
|Databox • Talk page|
History[edit | edit source]
Ghorrock was originally built by the sixth legion and is large enough to house 10,000 humans. Until the addition of The Temple at Senntisten quest, Ghorrock was believed to have been destroyed during the God Wars, like the rest of Zaros's settlements (e.g. Carrallangar). The location at which the Ghorrock Teleport leaves players, in the Frozen Waste Plateau, suggested that the fortress had been completely destroyed, with no existing remains. However, the quest revealed that Ghorrock actually still remains, albeit being farther north-west than previously believed. This means that Ghorrock is the last of the Second Age Zarosian settlements still in existence.
The last record of inhabitants was left by Lamarinta, Matriarch of Ghorrock, when she noted that Ali the Wise had brought news of the end of the God Wars. By then, there were barely a hundred residents, and even those had to keep their worship of Zaros a secret.
Ghorrock houses a legendary artefact, called Frostenhorn in human tongue by the Fremennik. It is actually not a horn that freezes, but a horn that magnifies power, in this case the cold climate of the location. An ice demon had possession of the horn until year 169 of the Fifth Age, when an adventurer tasked by Azzanadra was sent to retrieve it, killing the demon. With the removal of the Frostenhorn, the fortress' dungeon began to thaw, creating many waterfiends and icefiends.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
Ghorrock can only be accessed upon reaching a certain stage of The Temple at Senntisten quest.
- From the Rellekka Hunter area (fairy ring code: DKS) take the canoe (North-West from fairy ring code: DKS) to the Mahjarrat Ritual Site Cavern, then pass the ice block to the east. This is recommended because it allows one to skip the Wilderness (and therefore the risk of potential player killers). However, a heat globe is needed to pass Ice Block. You do not need a heat globe during Ritual of the Mahjarrat.
- After the completion of Ritual of the Mahjarrat, players may use the Glacor Cave (fairy ring code: DKQ) to access Ghorrock instead, gaining the Stone of Jas damage boost in the process. Run north from the ring to the cavern exit, then north again across the ritual site to the tunnel into the wall that leads to Ghorrock. The north side of the tunnel is enclosed by debris and safe from iron dragons.
There are several other less-recommended ways to access this fairly isolated part of the world:
- Teleport with either a Mask of Gelatin or Jellyhead, each having a limit of two teleports per day.
- Use the Enchanted Lyre to teleport to Rellekka, then run north-east to the Trollweiss Hunter Area then walk north and then west to the canoe, which will take you to Ghorrock Fortress.
- Use the Ardougne/Edgeville teleport lever (or walk) to level 56 wilderness. You will also need a sharp object, such as a knife to slash the web. From here run all the way west past the agility course. Requires passing through the deep Wilderness.
- Ice Plateau Teleport (Lunar Spellbook). Requires passing through the Wilderness in addition to having level 89 in Magic.
- Ghorrock Teleport (Ancient Spellbook). Requires passing through the Wilderness in addition to having level 96 in Magic.
- Lava titan teleport to level 40 Wilderness just southeast of the fortress. Requires passing through the Wilderness.
- Using the Wilderness Obelisk teleport portals to randomly travel to high level wilderness. If the hard Wilderness achievements have been completed, the player may select the destination themselves, with the level 44 wilderness destination being south-west of Ghorrock, however this requires the player to enter the Wilderness.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
During The Temple at Senntisten the fortress's dungeon is home to a small number of waterfiends variants that are immune to fire spells and icefiends as well as the ice demon. After the quest, the dungeon contains a large number of aggressive level 107 icefiends on the top floor and level 102 waterfiends on the lower.
Waterfiend, level 102
Icefiend, level 107
Iron dragon, level 98
Steel dragon, level 100
Ice demon, level 98
Map[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 17 June 2013 (Update):
- An icefiend that was pretending to be a pillar in Ghorrock fortress has been moved.
- patch 18 February 2013 (Update):
- A warning before entering the Wilderness from the Frozen Fortress has been added.
- patch 15 September 2010 (Update):
- Retextured the frozen fortress area used in the Mysteries of the Mahjarrat quest series.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Duke Sucellus, "Children of Mah", RuneScape. "*nomf* We have constructed a new fortress near Ghorrock. Room for ten thousand humans, as well as a great palace for myself, of course."
- ^ Lamarinta, "The Book of Zaros", RuneScape. "Rejoice, brothers and sisters! What you have heard is true - Ali the Wise has journeyed from the south to confirm it. The War of the Gods is over... There are now only a hundred of us - harried on every side by the armies of the lesser gods, and forced to keep our faith secret. Despite these things, we have prevailed. The God Wars are over, and there are still those in Gielinor who worship Zaros."
- ^ Azzanadra, "The Temple at Senntisten", RuneScape. "It's like a magnifying glass for power. It was in an icy area, up in the north, and so it magnified that, allowing the fortress to remain frozen."
- ^ Azzanadra, "The Temple at Senntisten", RuneScape. "I dare say that were you to return to the fortress you would find it thawing."