Lumbridge Swamp Caves
|Lumbridge Swamp Caves|
|Release date||14 March 2005 (Update)|
|Main music||Cave of the Goblins|
|Strongest monster||Giant frog|
|Connected quests||See below|
|Inhabitants||Cave goblins, frogs, insects and slime|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Lumbridge Swamp Caves is a cave system located underneath the Lumbridge Swamp. The caves are naturally dark and require a light source to navigate safely. If a player enters without a light source or if their light source is extinguished, they will be rapidly attacked by swarms of small insects, dealing 10-100 damage per attack which can quickly kill players. Due to the swamp gas, it is advised to use a closed light source, such as a candle lantern, bullseye lantern, Emerald lantern or Seer's headband, rather than an open light source like the candle, as if the player wanders into an area with swamp gas, the light source can ignite and explode, causing 200 damage and extinguishing the light source.
If entering from the surface, a rope is required to descend into the hole. A spiny helmet or Slayer helmet is also advised, as several narrow passages within the caves are guarded by wall beasts, who will grab and damage players without the appropriate head protection.
Getting to the caves[edit | edit source]
The main entrance to the caves is through the Lumbridge Swamp, located south of Lumbridge. It is located in the centre of the swamp with a icon on the minimap. A rope is required when using this entrance for the first time. The Water Altar is near this entrance.
Another route is through the basement of Lumbridge Castle, as the tunnels between the castle and the Dorgesh-Kaan mine also deviate towards the Swamp Caves, directly south from the tunnel entrance in the castle basement. The route between the tunnels and the Swamp Caves is initially blocked and needs to be mined. The Lost Tribe is required to access the tunnels and thus access the Swamp Caves from this direction.
Skilling[edit | edit source]
The water in the caves contains various rare fish. Slimy eels can be caught with a fishing rod at level 28 Fishing, while raw cave eels require level 38 Fishing. This is the only place outside of Morytania where these fish can be caught. Additionally, frog spawn can be caught here by using a small fishing net.
The caves are home to several low level Slayer assignment tasks, such as cave bugs or rock slugs, as well as the unique wall beasts, which cannot be found elsewhere. Due to the number of Slayer creatures in this location, it can be a useful spot for filling ushabtis and filling the Slayer Codex.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
If a player does not have a light source, after some seconds insects will attack, quickly reducing life points (1-10 x3 life points per second).
Personalities[edit | edit source]
During The Mighty Fall[edit | edit source]
During The Mighty Fall, a number of high-ranking Bandosians occupy the caves trying to locate the Dorgeshuun.
Quests[edit | edit source]
The following quests involve Lumbridge Swamp Caves:
- The Lost Tribe quest is involved (as if players fail the maze, they will fall into the caves).
- During the Death to the Dorgeshuun quest players must visit Juna.
- Players visit these caves during Another Slice of H.A.M..
- The Chosen Commander quest partly takes place in these caves.
- Players might need to enter the caves to go further during the Wanted! quest (frog legs).
- For the quest Rag and Bone Man players go down here to fight the level 24 frog, to get a leg bone.
- During While Guthix Sleeps, players have to enter the caves to search for an Ancient Guthix Temple.
- In some cases during A Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains, players need to gather a cave eel to create Enchanted secateurs.
- The beginning section of The Mighty Fall heavily involves the swamp caves, as the Bandosians cause cave-ins in an attempt to locate the Dorgeshuun. Players must meet with the Bandosians and negotiate with them to allow another way to meet their demands.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A tunnel leading to the Tears of Guthix cavern
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 12 October 2020 (Update):
- Stepping stone shortcuts in the Lumbridge Swamp Caves no longer force you to approach at walk speed.
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- A Frog Spawn fishing spot in the Lumbridge Swamp Caves has been moved to a more appropriate location than it was previously at
- patch 28 August 2018 (Update):
- The maplink at the entrance to Lumbridge Swamp Caves has been moved closer to the entrance to Lumbridge Swamp Caves.
- patch 22 August 2016 (Update):
- patch 21 January 2014 (Update):
- The symbols and their interfaces in the Goblin Mine Maze have been updated.
- patch 11 December 2012 (Update):
- You can no longer walk through a small section of wall in the goblin maze.
- An incorrect symbol had been misleading adventurers in the goblin maze. This has been corrected.
- patch 20 November 2012 (Update):
- Cave wall tops no longer disappear when the camera gets too close in the Lumbridge / Dorgeshuun goblin maze.
- patch 9 November 2009 (Update):
- Improved the walls and minimap looks for the dungeon area under Lumbridge.
- patch 8 July 2009 (Update):
- Changed the checks for the Lumbridge Swamp Dungeon to cater for the Seers’ Village Achievement Diary reward.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If you speak to a cave goblin and you don't have any light source, while you have a chat he will give you a lit torch.
- If you do not have a lantern and the bugs attack you the hitsplats are the same colour as a hitsplat damaging another person (with a normal attack).
|Part 1 of the Dorgeshuun quest series|