Summoning familiars are creatures that players may summon in order to help them with skilling, combat, and various other tasks. They are summoned by consuming a pouch of the familiar they wish to summon.
Combat experience is awarded for damage dealt to monsters, as it is for the player. The skills that benefit are those selected in Combat Settings under the Powers menu. For example, the iron titan can use magic and melee attacks. If Attack is chosen for melee experience, its melee attacks will grant Attack and Constitution experience; if Magic and Defence are chosen for magic, its magic attacks will grant Magic, Defence, and Constitution experience.
If the player dies with a familiar active, it will disappear and drop any carried items.
|Familiar size||Combat level||LP||Combat style||Special move||Boost||Other ability|
|1||Spirit wolf||6||1||0||1100||Melee||Howl scroll||Scroll makes NPC foes flee|
|4||Dreadfowl||4||1||0||1400||Magic||Dreadfowl Strike||Farming (+1)||Scroll initiates attack on opponent|
|4||Meerkats||40||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||Fetch Casket||Scroll digs for Treasure Trails casket|
|10||Spirit spider||15||2||0||2000||Melee||Egg Spawn||
|13||Thorny snail||16||2||16||3500||Ranged||Slime Spray||
|14||Spirit pack pig (tier 1)||17||13||13||4000||Melee||Bacon Blast||Pack pig pouches can make Bacon Blast scrolls, but only the war pig can use them|
|14||Spirit prayer pig (tier 1)||17||5||13||2400||Melee||Bacon Blast||Prayer pig pouches can make Bacon Blast scrolls, but only the war pig can use them|
|14||Spirit war pig (tier 1)||17||2||15||825||Melee||Bacon Blast||Scroll flings bacon as a magical attack|
|16||Granite crab||18||2||1x1||19||2600||Melee||Stony Shell||Fishing (+1)||
|17||Spirit mosquito||12||2||20||2700||Melee||Pester||Scroll initiates attack on opponent|
|18||Desert wyrm||19||1||22||2800||Melee||Electric Lash||Mining (+1)||Scroll briefly stuns opponent|
|19||Spirit scorpion||17||2||23||2900||Melee||Venom Shot||Scroll applies weapon poison for 30 seconds|
|22||Spirit Tz-Kih||18||3||26||3200||Magic||Fireball Assault||
|23||Albino rat||22||3||27||3300||Melee||Cheese Feast||
|25||Spirit kalphite||22||3||29||9500||Melee||Sandstorm||Beast of burden (6)|
|28||Compost mound||24||6||34||3800||Melee||Generate Compost||Farming (+1 + 2% of level)||
|31||Vampyre bat||33||4||36||4100||Melee||Vampire Touch||
|32||Honey badger||25||4||38||4200||Melee||Insane Ferocity||Scroll initiates attack that hits opponent twice|
|34||Void ravager||27||4||41||4400||Melee||Call to Arms||Scroll teleports player to Pest Control landers|
|34||Void spinner||27||4||41||4400||Melee||Call to Arms||
|34||Void shifter||94||4||41||4400||Melee||Call to Arms||
|34||Void torcher||94||4||41||4400||Magic||Call to Arms||Scroll teleports player to Pest Control landers|
|36||Bronze minotaur||30||9||43||4600||Melee||Bronze Bull Rush|
|40||Bull ant||30||5||47||17,000||Melee||Unburden||Beast of burden (9)|
|42||Evil Turnip||30||5||50||5200||Ranged||Evil Flames||
|43||Spirit cockatrice||36||5||51||5300||Magic||Petrifying Gaze||
|43||Spirit guthatrice||36||5||51||5300||Magic||Petrifying Gaze||
|43||Spirit saratrice||36||5||51||5300||Magic||Petrifying Gaze||
|43||Spirit zamatrice||36||5||51||5300||Magic||Petrifying Gaze||
|43||Spirit pengatrice||36||5||51||5300||Magic||Petrifying Gaze||
|43||Spirit coraxatrice||36||5||51||5300||Magic||Petrifying Gaze||
|43||Spirit vulatrice||36||5||51||5300||Magic||Petrifying Gaze||
|44||Spirit pack pig (tier 2)||35||13||37||2400||Melee||Bacon Blast||Pack pig pouches can make Bacon Blast scrolls, but only the war pig can use them|
|44||Spirit prayer pig (tier 2)||35||5||37||2400||Melee||Bacon Blast||Prayer pig pouches can make Bacon Blast scrolls, but only the war pig can use them|
|44||Spirit war pig (tier 2)||35||2||51||2620||Melee||Bacon Blast||Scroll flings bacon as a magical attack|
|46||Iron minotaur||37||9||55||5600||Melee||Iron Bull Rush|
|46||Pyrelord||32||5||55||5600||Melee||Immense Heat||Firemaking (+3)||
|47||Magpie||34||5||N/A||N/A||N/A||Thieving Fingers||Thieving (+3)||
|49||Bloated leech||34||5||59||5900||Melee||Blood Drain|
|52||Spirit terrorbird||36||6||62||23,000||Melee||Tireless Run||Beast of burden (12)|
|54||Abyssal parasite||30||6||64||24,000||Magic||Abyssal Drain|
|56||Steel minotaur||46||9||66||6600||Melee||Steel Bull Rush|
|56||Ibis||38||6||N/A||N/A||N/A||Fish rain||Fishing (+3)||
|57||Spirit graahk||49||6||68||6700||Melee||Goad||Hunter (+5)||
|57||Spirit kyatt||49||6||68||6700||Melee||Ambush||Hunter (+5)||
|57||Spirit larupia||49||6||68||6700||Melee||Rending||Hunter (+5)||
|Doomsphere Device||"Drown" hits opponent with a water spell|
|Dust Cloud||"Flames" hits opponent with a fire spell|
|62||Abyssal lurker||41||7||73||28,000||Melee||Abyssal Stealth||Beast of burden (12, only unnoted Rune essence and Pure essence)|
|63||Spirit cobra||56||7||75||7300||Melee||Ophidian Incubation|
|64||Stranger plant||49||7||94||9000||Melee||Poisonous Blast||Farming (+1 + 4% of level)||Forages and drops Strange fruit|
|66||Mithril minotaur||55||9||78||7600||Melee||Mithril Bull Rush|
|66||Barker toad||8||7||78||7600||Melee||Toad Bark||"Cannon" fires a loaded cannonball at opponent|
|67||War tortoise||43||7||80||30,500||Melee||Testudo||Beast of burden (18)|
|70||Ravenous locust||24||4||82||8000||Melee||Famine||"Remote view"|
|71||Arctic bear||28||8||84||8100||Melee||Arctic Blast||Hunter (+7)||
Counts as two pieces of the Polar camouflage gear
Can teleport you to the Trollweiss Hunter Area.
|72||Phoenix||30||8||85||8200||Magic||Rise from the ashes||
|73||Obsidian golem||55||8||87||8300||Melee||Volcanic Strength||Mining (+7)|
|73||Blood reaver||64||100||8300||Magic/Melee||Blood Siphon||
|74||Granite lobster||47||8||88||8400||Melee||Crushing Claw||Fishing (+4)|
|75||Praying mantis||69||8||89||8500||Melee||Mantis Strike|
|76||Adamant minotaur||66||9||90||8600||Melee||Adamant Bull Rush|
|77||Talon beast||49||9||92||8700||Melee||Deadly Claw|
|78||Giant ent||49||8||93||8800||Melee||Acorn Missile|
|79||Ice titan||64||9||94||8900||Melee||Titan's Constitution|
|79||Moss titan||58||9||94||8900||Melee||Titan's Constitution|
|Regrowth||"Regrowth" enables the player to regrow a tree that has been cut down, although the tree has to be grown by the player through the farming skill.|
|81||Nightmare muspah||58||10||96||9100||Melee||Siphon self||
|82||Lesser demon brawler||31||9||97||9000||Melee||Ring of fire||Will automatically engage in combat with new enemies of same type as the player is attacking|
|82||Lesser demon deacon||31||9||97||9000||Magic||Ring of fire||Will automatically engage in combat with new enemies of same type as the player is attacking|
|82||Lesser demon executioner||31||9||97||9000||Ranged||Ring of fire||Will automatically engage in combat with new enemies of same type as the player is attacking|
|83||Spirit dagannoth||57||9||99||9300||Melee||Spike Shot||"Ferocious" initiates attack with a chance of hitting opponent twice|
|Ebon Thunder||Mining (+10)
|84||Spirit pack pig (tier 3)||55||13||67||4080||Melee||Bacon Blast||Pack pig pouches can make Bacon Blast scrolls, but only the war pig can use them|
|84||Spirit prayer pig (tier 3)||55||5||67||4080||Melee||Bacon Blast||Prayer pig pouches can make Bacon Blast scrolls, but only the war pig can use them|
|84||Spirit war pig (tier 3)||55||2||91||4488||Melee||Bacon Blast||Scroll flings bacon as a magical attack|
|84||Reborn phoenix||30||12||100||9400||Magic||Rise from the ashes||Firemaking (+12)||Has a chance to burn two logs at once when using bonfires|
|85||Swamp titan||56||9||101||9500||Melee||Swamp Plague|
|86||Rune minotaur||151||9||102||9600||Melee||Rune Bull Rush|
|87||Blood nihil||90||10||112||20,000||Melee||Annihilate||+5% Attack||Deals damage and stuns target|
|87||Shadow nihil||90||10||112||20,000||Ranged||Annihilate||+5% Ranged||Deals damage and stuns target|
|87||Smoke nihil||90||10||108||20,000||Magic||Annihilate||+5% Magic||Deals damage and stuns target|
|87||Ice nihil||90||10||105||20,000||Magic||Annihilate||+5% Magic||
|88||Unicorn stallion||54||9||105||9800||Melee||Healing Aura||"Cure" cures Poison and Disease|
|Boil||Ranged (+1 + 3% of level)||
|Magic Focus||Hunter (+5)
Defence (+5% of level)
|93||Abyssal titan||32||10||110||43,500||Melee||Essence Shipment|
|96||Pack yak||64||10||114||45,000||Melee||Winter Storage||Beast of burden (30)|
|96||Ripper demon||64||100||2x2||124||11,000||Melee||Death From Above||
|99||Pack mammoth||64||20||118||46,500||Melee||Mammoth Feast||Beast of Burden (32)|
|Steel of Legends||
See also[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 23 November 2020 (Update):
- ninja 12 October 2020 (Update):
- ninja 21 September 2020 (Update):
- The Spiritual Healing spell can now extend familiar timers beyond the initial max time.
- Fixed an issue where the interface did not update to show that a familiars lifepoints were healed.
- The Spiritual Healing spell can now extend familiar timers beyond the initial max time.
- patch 1 September 2020 (Update):
- Modifier values are now recalculated when familiars are summoned and dismissed.
- patch 27 April 2020 (Update):
- The message from all item-producing familiars (including the new waterfiend) now states which item they produced.
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- Gregorovic's Memory cutscene at The Heart of Gielinor is no longer cut short if you have a familiar summoned.
- patch 5 November 2018 (Update):
- Attempting to use a target familiar scroll on the game world will no longer cause a disconnection.
- ninja 26 June 2017 (Update):
- patch 12 December 2016 (Update):
- Held familiar scrolls are no longer lootable by Ironmen when an enemy is killed.
- ninja 17 October 2016 (Update):
- A keybind slot is now available for familiar details.
- Familiar details are now available from the Powers dropdown menu on the Ribbon.
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- Summoning familiars no longer state an outdated XP type next to their name in the Summoning skill guide.
- patch 22 August 2016 (Update):
- Familiars will no longer attempt to retaliate to players who are not in combat with you in PvP situations.
- Summoning familiars now follow the player's XP settings in PvP combat.
- Summoning familiars can no longer be summoned at the Barrows sister's tomb in the Barrows.
- patch 15 August 2016 (Update):
- Familiars no longer berate their owner when they fail to pickpocket a rogue.
- ninja 16 May 2016 (Update):
- The message stating that familiars are too large to fit into the current area is now less prone to spam.
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- Hiding familiar options now also hides options for Toy royal battleships and Champion banner carriers.
- patch 21 March 2016 (Update):
- Melee familiars will now stay next to their targets instead of constantly running back to the owner.
- patch 9 November 2015 (Update):
- Applying damage-over-time effects to familiars will now correctly skull the attacker.
- patch 2 November 2015 (Update):
- patch 12 October 2015 (Update):
- patch 28 September 2015 (Update):
- Familiars will no longer become attackable inside Yakamaru's arena.
- ninja 7 September 2015 (Update):
- The following will now restore familiar's lifepoints:
- All prayer altars that restore summoning points as well.
- The Throne of Fame.
- Player-owned House obelisks.
- The following will now restore familiar's lifepoints:
- patch 1 September 2015 (Update):
- Familiar options will now work correctly if triggered by a keybind on the action bar.
- patch 3 August 2015 (Update):
- Calling or dismissing a pet via the Familiar Options button on the action bar now updates the right-click menu correctly.
- Other players' followers will no longer have any left-click options.
- patch 29 June 2015 (Update):
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Fixed an issue which occasionally caused followers to despawn before they were meant to.
- patch 7 April 2015 (Update):
- Familiars can no longer practice agility on the Hefin serenity posts. Clan avatars still can, because they need the exercise.
- patch 2 February 2015 (Update):
- Familiar right-click options no longer display if they are set not to show.
- patch 29 September 2014 (Update):
- Familiars will no longer recall when the player is stunned by a celestial dragon.
- patch 6 May 2014 (Update):
- The summoned familiar icon now disappears correctly when a familiar despawns inside an instanced area.
- ninja 31 March 2014 (Update):
- The familiar buff icon no longer counts down in places where a familiar's timer is stalled, such as the Grand Exchange.
- ninja 24 March 2014 (Update):
- The familiar buff timer now updates after renewing a familiar, instead of waiting until the original one had expired.
- ninja 17 March 2014 (Update):
- A familiar timer has been added to the list of active buffs when the player has a familiar summoned.
- patch 21 January 2014 (Update):
- Players can no longer take followers into Tears of Guthix.
- Updated familiar damage values to add a bit more randomness to the damage they deal.
- patch 10 September 2013 (Update):
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- Players with a pet or familiar out are now prevented from going downstairs in Varrock museum.
- patch 5 February 2013 (Update):
- The miss-hit hits plats have been stopped from displaying over familiars, when their special attacks miss hitting on a target NPC.
- patch 28 November 2012 (Update):
- Familiars intelligence has been improved to allow them to attack and “tag” monsters for you with their primary attack.
- patch 13 June 2012 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to make a non-aggressive follower attack other players.
- patch 7 February 2012 (Update):
- Summoning and dismissing familiars no longer causes the familiar to reappear.
- patch 31 January 2012 (Update):
- Familiars will no longer stop being able to see their target from certain angles.
- patch 12 October 2011 (Update):
- Beaver familiars no longer get stuck trying to chop trees if the tree gets cut down unexpectedly.
- patch 28 June 2011 (Update):
- Teleporting in certain circumstances will no longer cause a familiar's timer to stop.
- patch 3 May 2011 (Update):
- Familiars can no longer attack Slayer creatures if the player's Slayer level has been drained.
- patch 28 March 2011 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to interact with a familiar during cutscenes.
- patch 1 February 2011 (Update):
- Familiars will no longer change target when using Summoning scrolls.
- Familiars will no longer perform long-range melee attacks.
- patch 17 January 2011 (Update):
- Players affected by stuns will no longer be able to use any Summoning familiar special attacks (during the stun period).
- patch 5 July 2010 (Update):
- Removed an unnecessary error message from the familiar/follower/pet code.
- Players can no longer prevent their familiars from despawning by clicking the Renew button at the right moment.
- patch 3 December 2009 (Update):
- Rewrote the code that checks to see if familiars can attack Slayer creatures.
- patch 13 October 2009 (Update):
- Fixed a bug whereby a selection of Summoning familiars wouldn't actually 'stun' their target due to faulty logic.
- patch 7 October 2009 (Update):
- Improved the logic dealing with the value of items you can store in a familiar's inventory.
- patch 18 August 2009 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with familiars whose timers are about to run out when using their special abilities.
- patch 28 July 2009 (Update):
- You can no longer attack other players’ familiars if they're out of your combat range.
- patch 9 June 2009 (Update):
- Improved the combat code for familiars, due to a timing issue.
- The code dealing with familiars that produce items has changed, so they do not interrupt the new rest feature.
- patch 1 April 2009 (Update):
- Updated code to better handle your familiars when you log-in to various places like cutscenes.
- patch 17 March 2009 (Update):
- The Party Room is now a familiar-free area.
- You can no longer have a familiar near the Grand Exchange.
- The god familiars (Zamorak hawk, etc) will now provide the same protection as god-related items while in God Wars.
- An issue has been fixed with trying to summon a familiar if you don't have one.
- You should now gain Crafting xp when the pyrelord familiar crafts gold bars into jewellery.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- You will no longer see an incorrect chathead on your pet/familiar side interface when suffering from lag.
- You will now receive a warning about your familiar disappearing before entering the Well of Voyage room.
- You will now receive a warning about your familiar being dismissed when you enter one of the caves during the Path of Glouphrie quest.
- All familiars will now disappear properly when their timers run out.
- patch 10 February 2009 (Update):
- The warning messages and sounds for the antifire potion and summoning familiar despawn warnings are now much clearer.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A familiar's attack command can be used on all NPCs including non-combat ones to see their life points and weakness. This method shows how almost all non-combat NPCs have 1 life point and a weakness to crush, although there are exceptions such as Dreadnips (4500 life points and weak to Earth) and the Wise Old Man (30,000 life points, no weakness).
- While it is not possible for most familiars to attack a target without the player being in combat, it is possible to use an ability that does not require a target, such as Anticipation, to enter combat stance and order the familiar to attack. However, combat special moves cannot be used this way. The scroll will be used, but the move will only be unleashed upon actually attacking a target.
- Previous, some summoning familiars have options that allow them to do a different special attack, separate from their special moves. After an update, these have either turned into part of its basic attack pattern (e.g. Smoke devil), a different version of the special move, activated by using a scroll in a different manner (e.g. Phoenix), or even replaced its special move (e.g. Barker toad).
- There is currently a bug where when a player comes from a PvP area such as the Wilderness, their Familiar's combat level may still display, even in non-PvP areas.
- The duration of the Pack Yak familiar was extended by 6 minutes on an update on the 26th of November 2018.