The Shadow Reef
|The Shadow Reef|
|Release date||25 February 2019 (Update)|
|Main music||Various, see article|
|Strongest monster||The Ambassador (level 5500)|
|Dwarf multicannon allowed||Not allowed inside the dungeon|
|Quests taking place here||No|
|Inhabitants||Various, see article|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Shadow Reef, also known as Ulthven Kreath, is the third Elite Dungeon, a 1-3 player combat/narrative experience that rewards unique loot and Dungeoneering experience and tokens. The Shadow Reef is accessed from the eastern shore of Daemonheim. The Grouping System is required in order to form a team of 2-3 players. There are no hard requirements to access the dungeon.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Use the boat east of Daemonheim
- Teleport using the Ring of kinship
- Use Taverly lodestone teleport then run south to set sail
- Use the PvM portal in the Max Guild (requires 99 in every skill)
- Use a Shadow Reef teleport, which can be purchased from Bryll Thoksdottir at Daemonheim
- Use the teleport on the chest outside the Dragonkin Laboratory or the Temple of Aminishi (requires completion of Impressing the Locals)
Background[edit | edit source]
Ulthven Kreath is an ancient underwater sunken temple, once built and inhabited by Dragonkin, first encountered in the Pieces of Hate quest, where the player fights Rabid Jack. After the quest, the temple may be revisited using a rowboat at the south-west beach of Mos Le'Harmless.
During the fight with Rabid Jack, a large black hand (speculated to be Xau-Tak) will appear in the large hole in the middle of the temple. This hole is a portal to another world or dimension but it is closed with a giant stopper at the end of the quest after Rabid Jack lowers himself into the hole.
Murals[edit | edit source]
Four murals can be found on western wall of the final room in the first floor, in the room right before the entrance to the second floor. After completing Pieces of Hate, the player may decipher the murals but must do so from left to right. They explain the lore behind the temple and contain some short phrases in the Dragonkin language.
The murals can be deciphered and inspected in either the quest-only instance or in an Elite Dungeon run.
Each mural requires level 85 (not boostable) in one particular skill to decipher, which is Thieving, Agility, Firemaking, and Construction in order, and each grants 50,000 experience in its respective skill. Doing so unlocks the Roake Kal achievement and is a requirement for the master quest cape. If player does not have the level (level 85 in the relevant skill) for a mural, they will not be able to decipher the succeeding murals.
Kranon Cras Roake Pthen.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Rewards[edit | edit source]
The monsters inside the dungeon drop a variety of items, with the unique items being:
|Kranon's Ancient Journal||Lore book required for the The Shadow Thief feat.||N/A||Taraket the Necromancer|
|The Last Offering||Lore book required for the The Shadow Thief feat.||N/A||Crassian Leviathan|
|Black stone arrow tips||Can be used on Elder headless arrow to make tier 92 Black stone arrows.||877||Crassian Leviathan |
Taraket the Necromancer
|Onyx dust||Can be transmuted into an uncut onyx||11,280||All monsters|
|Black stone heart||Can be used to create three sigils (Demon, Dragon, and Undead slaying sigils)||110,571||All monsters|
|Ragefire gland||Used to upgrade ragefire boots into hailfire boots.||1,776,771||All monsters|
|Darting shadow||Can be disassembled for 10 swift components.||N/A||All monsters|
|Shadowy egg||Unlocks the Squoggoth pet||1,077,866||Extremely rare drop from dungeon-themed lucky charms|
|Swordy McSwordFace||Tier 80 2-handed weapon||50,265,184||Bossy McBossFace|
|Demonic title scroll (the deceiver)||Unlocks the [Name] the Deceiver title||5,193,398||Yor'Ger the Deceiver|
|Eldritch crossbow limb||A component used to create the Eldritch crossbow.||927,620||The Ambassador|
|Eldritch crossbow stock||A component used to create the Eldritch crossbow.||754,745||The Ambassador|
|Eldritch crossbow mechanism||A component used to create the Eldritch crossbow.||727,020||The Ambassador|
|Umbral urn||Unlocks the unlock the Ambassador boss pet, Ambi.||N/A||The Ambassador|
|Elite chest||Contains Ancient scales, Draconic energy, and Black stone arrow tips. Obtained when all three Elite Dungeons are completed in consecutive order.||N/A||The Ambassador|
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
- Beast of the Undercurrents
- Blackstone Summons
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Some achievements can be done in both story mode and normal mode, some only in normal mode.
There are 24 achievements in this elite dungeon (showing 24).
|4||Shadow Reef||Complete all of the listed achievements.||50|
|41||Griefing the Reef||Defeat every miniboss inside the Shadow Reef.||20|
|42||Of Kraken Ink||Collect the following lore books from bosses inside the Shadow Reef.||20|
|44||Hail Hydra||Hit the Crassian Leviathan using Ice Barrage.||10|
|46||Get Shredded||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan after taking at least 30,000 damage from its sweep attack.||10|
|47||Harassing the Crassian||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan after allowing it to fully regenerate from below half health.||20|
|49||Dextrous Crystal||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while the bloated monstrosity is still alive.||20|
|50||Tank and Spank||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while both the bloated monstrosity and corpse carrier are still alive.||40|
|51||Unworthy Dead||Kill 15 summoned skeletons within 6 seconds during the encounter with Taraket the Necromancer.||20|
|52||Clenched||Defeat the Ambassador without destroying any sinister fragments.||50|
|53||Happy Trails||Defeat the Ambassador without anyone taking any damage from his purple corruption.||20|
|54||Instability Never Phased Me||Defeat the Ambassador after surviving explosions from 4 unstable black holes.||30|
|55||Crawfish Boil||Disintegrate 12 crassian ritual keepers simultaneously during the Ambassador encounter.||30|
|56||Island Getaway||Defeat Hanto while it is at least 4 tiles away from where it started.||5|
|57||Kraken the Whip||Hit Boggoth using a lava whip's special attack.||5|
|58||She Smells Sea Smells by the Sea Floor||Show Shrine Maiden Elei some sushi.||5|
|59||I've Got Your Face||Defeat Quetzathog while wearing a black mask.||5|
|60||Demon Duty||Defeat Yor'Ger the Deceiver while on a Kal'gerion demon slayer task.||5|
|61||I'm the Masuta Now||Defeat Masuta the Descended while wielding Masuta's warspear.||5|
|45||Hydra Halitosis||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan without ever being stunned.||5|
|63||The Black Stone Trilogy||Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent, the Black Stone Dragon and the Ambassador consecutively.||20|
|48||Sinister Crystal||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while the corpse carrier is still alive.||20|
|62||Monkey Sadness||Defeat Bossy McBossface's first mate.||5|
|43||Umbral Diplomacy||Collect all 22 pages of Umbral Diplomacy in the Shadow Reef (X/22)[sic]||20|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that stopped some items from being equipped when using presets inside the Shadow Reef elite dungeon.
- patch 15 April 2019 (Update):
- Increased overall value of rewards from bosses, most notably that of The Ambassador's.
- New drop table inserted for common mobs in the dungeon, including that from the lucky charms.
- patch 1 April 2019 (Update):
- Rare drops such as effigies can now be looted more easily after the Crassian Leviathan encounter.
- The Crassian Leviathan will now consistently drop loot if it dies while swapping sides.
- patch 18 March 2019 (Update):
- The barrier into the Crassian Leviathan fight will no longer re-open during the fight.
- patch 4 March 2019 (Update):
- After killing The Ambassador, the dungeon progress is reset as expected.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The addition of the Shadow Reef as an Elite Dungeon was first confirmed at RuneFest 2018, and draws on lore from Nomad's Elegy, Til Death Do Us Part, and the Pirate quest series.
- Kreath means shadow, darkness, or black in dragonkin language.
- The dragonkin research book refers to Ulthven Kreath as the sunken black, suggesting it to be a literal translation of the name.
- Several of the music tracks unlocked in the Shadow Reef are named after the different pelagic zones of the ocean.
- When attempting to create a fire within the reef the following message is displayed: "Surprisingly, you are able to light a fire under the ocean here..." and the player manages to successfully create a fire.
|Elite Dungeon Reward Shop|