The Shadow Reef
|The Shadow Reef|
|Release date||25 February 2019 (Update)|
|Main music||Various, see article|
|Strongest monster||The Ambassador (level 5500)|
|Cannon allowed||Not allowed inside the dungeon|
|Inhabitants||Various, see article|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Shadow Reef, also known as Ulthven Kreath, is the third Elite Dungeon, a 1-3 player combat/narrative experience that rewards unique loot and Dungeoneering experience and tokens. The Shadow Reef is accessed from the eastern shore of Daemonheim. The Grouping System is required in order to form a team of 2-3 players. There are no hard requirements to access the dungeon.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Use the Ring of kinship to teleport to Daemonheim, and then run east to the Fremennik boat.
- Use the boss portal in War's Retreat
- Use the boss portal in the Max Guild (requires 99 in every skill)
- Talk to Fremennik shipmaster on the bridge, west of Al Kharid Bank
- Use Taverley lodestone teleport then run south to set sail.
- Use a Shadow Reef teleport, which can be purchased from Bryll Thoksdottir at Daemonheim
- Use the teleport on the chest outside the Dragonkin Laboratory or the Temple of Aminishi (requires completion of Impressing the Locals)
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Mobs[edit | edit source]
Zombie, level 11
Armoured zombie, level 86
Summoned armoured zombie, level 107
Skeleton Archer, level 100
Summoned skeleton, level 68
Summoned skeleton archer, level 98
Summoned zombie, level 12
Huge skeleton, level 113
Warped skeleton, level 113
Bossy McBossFace's First mate, level 122
Cloaked zealot, level 105
Crassian scuttler, level 84
Crassian scout, level 111
Crassian warrior, level 117
Death Lotus rogue, level 105
Enlightened Sotapanna, level 105
Kal'gerion demon, level 114
Sea horror, level 119
Ulthven necromancer, level 105
Undead Witch, level 170
Minibosses[edit | edit source]
Bossy McBossFace, level 123
Cooper, level 111
Hanto, level 140
Ulthven Keith, level 117
Lady Himiko, level 117
Tombi, Khan of Thalassia, level 111
Masuta the Descended, level 1000
Quetzathog, level 119
Yor'Ger the Deceiver, level 200
Oreb, the Magister, level 899
Shrine Maiden Elei, level 111
Eye of Cythan, level 118
Hand of Dagnath, level 118
Maw of Kolthregar, level 118
Boggoth, level 300
Bosses[edit | edit source]
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- Players have a higher chance to receive rare drops if they are holding a Lucky charm (Shadow Reef). A lucky charm is consumed every time it grants a rare drop.
- If the Elite dungeon chest is enabled, all drops will automatically be stored in the chest. If it is disabled, players have a chance of doubling drops.
- If players unlock the Elite dungeon chest upgrade, the chest will store all drops and allow all drops to have a chance of being doubled, including rare boss drops.
Rare drops[edit | edit source]
The monsters inside the dungeon drop a variety of items, with the unique items being:
|Kranon's Ancient Journal||Lore book required for the The Shadow Thief feat.||N/A||Taraket the Necromancer|
|The Last Offering||Lore book required for the The Shadow Thief feat.||N/A||Crassian Leviathan|
|Black stone arrow tips||Can be used on Elder headless arrow to make tier 92 Black stone arrows.||775||Crassian Leviathan |
Taraket the Necromancer
|Onyx dust||Can be transmuted into an uncut onyx||31,378||All monsters|
|Black stone heart||Can be used to create three Ability codices (Demon, Dragon, and Undead ability codices) and the elite armour repair patches (Elite sirenic repair patch , Elite tectonic repair patch)||94,382||All monsters|
|Ragefire gland||Used to upgrade ragefire boots into hailfire boots.||202,651||All monsters|
|Darting shadow||Can be disassembled for 10 swift components.||N/A||All monsters|
|Shadowy egg||Unlocks the Squoggoth pet||350,024,992||Extremely rare drop from Lucky Charm (Shadow Reef)|
|Swordy McSwordFace||Tier 80 2-handed weapon||11,130,259||Bossy McBossFace|
|Demonic title scroll (the deceiver)||Unlocks the [Name] the Deceiver title||96,716,667||Yor'Ger the Deceiver|
|Eldritch crossbow limb||A component used to create the Eldritch crossbow.||581,874,447||The Ambassador|
|Eldritch crossbow stock||A component used to create the Eldritch crossbow.||825,536,023||The Ambassador|
|Eldritch crossbow mechanism||A component used to create the Eldritch crossbow.||584,402,525||The Ambassador|
|Umbral urn||Unlocks the Ambassador boss pet, Ambi.||N/A||The Ambassador|
|Elite chest||Contains Ancient scales, Draconic energy, and Black stone arrow tips. Obtained when all three Elite Dungeons are completed in consecutive order.||N/A||The Ambassador|
Common drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Huge spiky rune salvage||1||Common||38,625||40,000|
|Huge spiky rune salvage||11–53||Rare||424,875-2,047,125||440,000-2,120,000|
|Dark animica stone spirit (m)||1–2||Common||977-1,954||Not alchemisable|
|Reef relic (common) (m)||1||Common||4,999||4,999|
|Reef relic (uncommon) (m)||1||Uncommon||25,000||25,000|
|Weapon poison++ (1) (m)||1||Uncommon||7,797||86|
|Prayer potion (1)||1||Uncommon||1,681||45|
|Reef relic (rare) (m)||1||Rare||1,000,000||1,000,000|
|Starved ancient effigy (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
Background[edit | edit source]
Ulthven Kreath is an ancient underwater sunken temple, once built and inhabited by Dragonkin, first encountered in the Pieces of Hate quest, where the player fights Rabid Jack. After the quest, the temple may be revisited using a rowboat at the south-west beach of Mos Le'Harmless.
During the fight with Rabid Jack, a large black hand (speculated to be Xau-Tak) will appear in the large hole in the middle of the temple. This hole is a portal to another world or dimension but it is closed with a giant stopper at the end of the quest after Rabid Jack lowers himself into the hole.
Murals[edit | edit source]
Four murals can be found on western wall of the final room in the first floor, in the room right before the entrance to the second floor. After completing Pieces of Hate, the player may decipher the murals but must do so from left to right. They explain the lore behind the temple and contain some short phrases in the Dragonkin language.
The murals can be deciphered and inspected in either the quest-only instance or in an Elite Dungeon run.
Each mural requires level 85 (not boostable) in one particular skill to decipher, which is Thieving, Agility, Firemaking, and Construction in order, and each grants 50,000 experience in its respective skill. Doing so unlocks the Roake Kal achievement and is a requirement for the master quest cape. If player does not have the level (level 85 in the relevant skill) for a mural, they will not be able to decipher the succeeding murals.
Kranon Cras Roake Pthen.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
- Beast of the Undercurrents
- Blackstone Summons
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Some achievements can be done in both story mode and normal mode, some only in normal mode.
There are 63 achievements in this elite dungeon (showing 63).
|Clenched||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador without destroying any sinister fragments.||50|
|Crawfish Boil||Yes||Disintegrate 12 crassian ritual keepers simultaneously during the Ambassador encounter.||30|
|Happy Trails||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador without anyone taking any damage from his purple corruption.||20|
|Instability Never Phased Me||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador after surviving explosions from 4 unstable black holes.||30|
|The Ambassador||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador. (X/1)||0|
|Ambassador No Maw I||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador. (X/5)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw II||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador. (X/10)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw III||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador. (X/25)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw IV||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador. (X/50)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw V||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador. (X/75)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw VI||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador. (X/100)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw Solo Kills I||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador while not in a group. (X/5)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw Solo Kills II||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador while not in a group. (X/10)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw Solo Kills III||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador while not in a group. (X/25)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw Solo Kills IV||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador while not in a group. (X/50)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw Solo Kills V||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador while not in a group. (X/75)||5|
|Ambassador No Maw Solo Kills VI||Yes||Defeat the Ambassador while not in a group. (X/100)||5|
|Get Shredded||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan after taking at least 30,000 damage from its sweep attack.||10|
|Hail Hydra||Yes||Hit the Crassian Leviathan using Ice Barrage.||10|
|Harassing the Crassian||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan after allowing it to fully regenerate from below half health.||20|
|Hydra Halitosis||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan without ever being stunned.||5|
|Crassian Leviathan||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan. (X/1)||0|
|Denied the Hydra I||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan. (X/5)||5|
|Denied the Hydra II||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan. (X/10)||5|
|Denied the Hydra III||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan. (X/25)||5|
|Denied the Hydra IV||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan. (X/50)||5|
|Denied the Hydra V||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan. (X/75)||5|
|Denied the Hydra VI||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan. (X/100)||5|
|Denied the Hydra Solo Kills I||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan while not in a group. (X/5)||5|
|Denied the Hydra Solo Kills II||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan while not in a group. (X/10)||5|
|Denied the Hydra Solo Kills III||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan while not in a group. (X/25)||5|
|Denied the Hydra Solo Kills IV||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan while not in a group. (X/50)||5|
|Denied the Hydra Solo Kills V||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan while not in a group. (X/75)||5|
|Denied the Hydra Solo Kills VI||Yes||Defeat the Crassian Leviathan while not in a group. (X/100)||5|
|The Black Stone Trilogy||Yes||Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent, the Black Stone Dragon and the Ambassador consecutively.||20|
|Demon Duty||Yes||Defeat Yor'Ger the Deceiver while on a Kal'gerion demon slayer task.||5|
|Griefing the Reef||Yes||Defeat every miniboss inside the Shadow Reef.||20|
|I'm the Masuta Now||Yes||Defeat Masuta the Descended while wielding Masuta's warspear.||5|
|I've Got Your Face||Yes||Defeat Quetzathog while wearing a black mask.||5|
|Island Getaway||Yes||Defeat Hanto while it is at least 4 tiles away from where it started.||5|
|Kraken the Whip||Yes||Hit Boggoth using a lava whip's special attack.||5|
|Monkey Sadness||Yes||Defeat Bossy McBossface's first mate.||5|
|Shadow Reef||Yes||Complete all of the listed achievements.||50|
|She Smells Sea Smells by the Sea Floor||Yes||Show Shrine Maiden Elei some sushi.||5|
|A Mini Shipment||Yes||Loot the trunk in the Temple of Aminishi.||5|
|The Elite||Yes||Complete all of the listed achievements.||0|
|Dextrous Crystal||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while the bloated monstrosity is still alive.||20|
|Sinister Crystal||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while the corpse carrier is still alive.||20|
|Tank and Spank||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while both the bloated monstrosity and corpse carrier are still alive.||40|
|Unworthy Dead||Yes||Kill 15 summoned skeletons within 6 seconds during the encounter with Taraket the Necromancer.||20|
|Taraket the Necromancer||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer. (X/1)||0|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings I||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer. (X/5)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings II||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer. (X/10)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings III||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer. (X/25)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings IV||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer. (X/50)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings V||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer. (X/75)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings VI||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer. (X/100)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings Solo Kills I||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while not in a group. (X/5)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings Solo Kills II||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while not in a group. (X/10)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings Solo Kills III||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while not in a group. (X/25)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings Solo Kills IV||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while not in a group. (X/50)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings Solo Kills V||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while not in a group. (X/75)||5|
|Reset To Phylactery Settings Solo Kills VI||Yes||Defeat Taraket the Necromancer while not in a group. (X/100)||5|
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 12 April 2021 (Update):
- A number of exploits within the Elite Dungeons have now been fixed.
- Over the coming weeks we will be looking at actions we can take against the small minority of players who exploited these issues.
- A number of exploits within the Elite Dungeons have now been fixed.
- patch 3 August 2020 (Update):
- Adding Elite Dungeon lore pages to a partially complete lore book no longer creates a new lore book in your backpack if you already have one in the Bank.
- Players can no longer attack the boss from outside of the boss arena. Instead, players will now teleport inside the boss arena after the boss is activated.
- Starting a boss fight will also teleport all players within the boss area to its centre.
- patch 20 July 2020 (Update):
- Players are no longer able to obtain multiple Zombie Champion scrolls from the Shadow Reef Elite Dungeon when they've completed the appropriate Champion Challenge.
- patch 17 February 2020 (Update):
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that stopped some items from being equipped when using presets inside the Shadow Reef elite dungeon.
- patch 15 April 2019 (Update):
- Increased overall value of rewards from bosses, most notably that of The Ambassador's.
- New drop table inserted for common mobs in the dungeon, including that from the lucky charms.
- patch 1 April 2019 (Update):
- Rare drops such as effigies can now be looted more easily after the Crassian Leviathan encounter.
- The Crassian Leviathan will now consistently drop loot if it dies while swapping sides.
- patch 18 March 2019 (Update):
- The barrier into the Crassian Leviathan fight will no longer re-open during the fight.
- patch 4 March 2019 (Update):
- After killing The Ambassador, the dungeon progress is reset as expected.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The addition of the Shadow Reef as an Elite Dungeon was first confirmed at RuneFest 2018, and draws on lore from Nomad's Elegy, Til Death Do Us Part, and the Pirate quest series.
- Kreath means shadow, darkness, or black in dragonkin language.
- The dragonkin research book refers to Ulthven Kreath as the sunken black, suggesting it to be a literal translation of the name.
- Several of the music tracks unlocked in the Shadow Reef are named after the different pelagic zones of the ocean.
- When attempting to create a fire within the reef the following message is displayed: "Surprisingly, you are able to light a fire under the ocean here..." and the player manages to successfully create a fire.
|Elite Dungeon Reward Shop|