|Release date||17 July 2007 (Update)|
|Examine||Cheerful, helpful and optimistic, I'll bet.|
|NPC ID||3777, 7930, 17433|
|Infobox • (multi) • Talk page|
The Doomsayer stands on a box prophesying doom to everyone who speaks to him. He can be found in Lumbridge to the north of the lodestone. He warns new players about the potential risks in the game and allows players to toggle on or off warnings about dangerous content that they visit.
The Doomsayer has a natural skill for sensing danger and he feels it is his duty to warn others of the potential hazards that await unsuspecting travellers. He does this by putting up warning signs in dangerous places, accompanied with a warning message. Whilst he calls himself the Doomsayer, he feels that his proper title should be Danger Tutor.
Danger signs[edit | edit source]
The areas/events where the Doomsayer has placed warning signs are as follows:
Adamant Dragons Ascension Dungeon Boss Room Araxyte Hive Chaos Tunnels (any entrance) Clan Wars - (Dangerous) Clan Wars - (Safe) Contact Dungeon (going down the ladder) Death Plateau Dorgesh-Kaan North City Exit (take no light source) Dorgesh-Kaan Kalphites (take no light source) Duel Arena Elid Genie Cave (west of Nardah; take no light source) Fairy Ring : Dorgesh-Kaan (AJQ) (take no light source) Godwars Wilderness Route H.A.M. Tunnel from Mill (east of Lumbridge; take no light source) Icy Path Area (ice gate to Ice Path) KBD Shortcut (Edgeville entrance) Living Rock Caverns Lumbridge Cellar (take no light source) Lumbridge Swamp Rope (take no light source) Mort Myre Morytania Nex Entrance Observatory Stairs Player-Owned Houses (drop an item and turn on building mode) Ranging Guild Tower Ripper Demons Shaman Cave Shantay Pass Shortcut to Ripper Demons Stronghold of Security (going down ladders) Trollheim Wilderness Entrance Wilderness Entry Skeletal Wyvern Cave N/A
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 1 February 2021 (Update):
- The Doomsayer has re-evaluated the dangers (or lack thereof) in the Varrock Sewer and has removed the warning for entering.
- patch 4 December 2017 (Update):
- The Doomsayer Warning setting for Varrock Sewers can now be toggled on free worlds so long as the sewers have been entered by the player at least 6 times.
- ninja 16 January 2017 (Update):
- Players may now toggle the Varrock Sewers warning message via the doomsayer settings, as long as they have entered it 6 times, as with the other warning messages.
- patch 31 October 2016 (Update):
- The Sinkholes doomsayer warning on/off toggle has been corrected, as it was previously flipped.
- ninja 17 October 2016 (Update):
- ninja 15 August 2016 (Update):
- The Doomsayer, fearing his doom at the hands of goblins, has moved to the (probably) less doomy side of the river.
- ninja 7 March 2016 (Update):
- The warning on the frozen doorway to Nex can now be toggled in the Doomsayer settings.
- patch 24 August 2015 (Update):
- patch 6 May 2014 (Update):
- The toggle options on the Doomsayer's warning interface now highlight correctly.
- patch 22 April 2014 (Update):
- The Doomsayer's warning message interface has been graphically updated.
- patch 9 July 2013 (Update):
- The unused Chaos Tunnels warnings have been removed from the Doomsayer interface.
- patch 20 May 2013 (Update):
- The redundant Random Events button from the Doomsayer in Lumbridge has been removed.
- patch 13 November 2012 (Update):
- Fixed some stretching on Stanky Morgan's, Chief Thief Robin's, Estrith's and the Doomsayer's faces.
- patch 7 December 2010 (Update):
- The Lumbridge Doomsayer now realises that the Wilderness ditch has been filled in.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A Doomsayer is a person who predicts disaster.
- Formerly the Doomsayer would wander in a small wander radius; after an update he became stationary on to the west of the bridge over the Lum. Later he was moved to the east side and back to the west to his current location.
- His staff resembles the Staff of Ra from The Raiders of the Lost Ark. His action is similar to the action Indiana Jones does when he sets the Staff of Ra into the ground.
- He says "All around us! I can feel it in the air, hear it on the wind, smell it...also in the air." This may be a reference to Galadriel from the motion picture The Lord of the Rings saying "The world has changed. I can feel it in the water. I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air." in Sindarin.
- The Doomsayer has apparently requested a sword to be made by the Artisans' Workshop.
|* denotes that the character has been removed from the game|