|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Minimum level to be ranked||15 (as of 15 May 2021)|
|Players with 99||224,644 (as of 15 May 2021)|
|Players with 120||35,947 (as of 15 May 2021)|
|Players with 200M XP||4,086 (as of 15 May 2021)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Herblore is a members-only artisan skill that allows players to make their own potions that serve various uses. The current minimum requirement to be ranked (at approximately rank 855,705) on the hiscores for Herblore is level 15. As of 15 May 2021, there are 224,644 current members that have achieved level 99 in Herblore. There are 35,947 current members that have achieved level 120 in Herblore.
Although Herblore can be trained relatively quickly, it is one of the most expensive skills in the game for players who buy all or most of the needed ingredients. For players who gather the ingredients (most are available from monster drops, farming, or as spawns in various locations), it is much less expensive but quite time consuming.
- 1 Herbs
- 2 Potions
- 3 Potion production costs
- 4 Powerburst
- 5 Bombs
- 6 NPC assistance
- 7 Minigames / Distraction and Diversion
- 8 Scroll of cleansing
- 9 Herbicide
- 10 Temporary boosts
- 11 Useful items
- 12 Solomon's General Store
- 13 Skilling pet (Herbert)
- 14 Quests with a Herblore requirement
- 15 Quests for Herblore experience
- 16 Update history
- 17 Trivia
- 18 See also
Herbs[edit | edit source]
Grimy herbs are herbs that have not yet been cleaned. They can be cleaned by clicking on the herb, providing a small amount of Herblore experience. Only cleaned herbs can be used to make potions. Herbs are almost always obtained in their grimy state (from farming, monster remains, etc.). Although grimy herbs give experience from cleaning, they usually cost less than their cleaned counterparts, since players training Herblore usually do not want to spend time cleaning the herbs.
Potions[edit | edit source]
The potion-making process in Herblore takes two steps, each combining separate items. For low- and mid-level potions, the first step involves adding a primary ingredient (usually a herb) to a vial of water (or a vial of coconut milk for some mid-level potions) to produce an unfinished potion. This grants a 1 Herblore experience per unfinished potion. It is recommended to receive free vials of water from a portable well to save money. High-level potions involve combining various potions and secondary ingredients.
The second step (for low- and mid-level potions) involves adding a secondary ingredient (see below) to make a complete potion that may be drunk or sold (with the exception of a few potions made as part of a quest). Combining unfinished and finished potions with secondary potions is the main method of earning Herblore experience. Both steps can be done in batches; when the player's inventory contains several of the required items, one may "make all" or "make x".
The choice of herb (or potion) and secondary ingredient dictate which potion is made. Each potion has a minimum Herblore level required before it can be made, unless the assist system is used.
Potion production costs[edit | edit source]
For a full overview of profits/losses training Herblore; see Herblore/Production costs.
Powerburst[edit | edit source]
Bombs[edit | edit source]
NPC assistance[edit | edit source]
Bob Barter at the Grand Exchange and Rhobert Dail in the Tower of Voices or Max Guild in Prifddinas will decant potions for free. Decanting results in potions of the same kind being consolidated into 4-dose potions as much as possible (though Bob and Rhobert will also decant into one-, two-, and three-dose potions, charging 2 coins for each extra vial supplied). For example, six 3-dose strength potions can be decanted into four four-dose and one two-dose potion. Noted potions may also be decanted; noted and unnoted potions in the inventory will be treated independently. This is a quick and easy way to free up vials for reuse.
Zahur in Nardah will clean grimy herbs for 200 coins per herb. This ability is typically only used by players who grew the herbs and cannot clean them, as the ability to make potions with the cleaned herb requires the herblore level to clean the herb.
Zahur will also decant 4-dose potions into 3-dose potions, for a fee of 11 coins per vial supplied. If you supply all vials required the service is free. Inventory space for the resulting potions is required, or Zahur will refuse to decant them. Zahur will now also decant noted potions with noted vials as well.
Teplin Macagan in Oo'glog can also decant 1 to 6 dose Potion Flasks into either 6-dose potion flasks, or 4-dose Potion Vials; or he can decant 1 to 4 dose Potion Vials into 6-dose Potion Flasks. You must bring extra flasks as Teplin will not provide them, though he does provide vials. The tasks can be performed on noted or un-noted flasks and vials. Note: You must have completed the quest As a First Resort to be able to decant potion flasks.
Minigames / Distraction and Diversion[edit | edit source]
Herblore Habitat[edit | edit source]
In the Herblore Habitat minigame, there are ten potions that can be made using herbs grown there, and secondary ingredients found by hunting Jadinkos. All of these potions must be made in special juju vials bought from Papa Mambo, and some of them can be stored with tool leprechauns. These potions have special effects.
Flash Powder Factory[edit | edit source]
In Flash Powder Factory, requiring 50 Herblore and other certain skills, players make Flash Powder from two reagents in 15 minute games. The game is not focused on Herblore, so the bulk of experience doesn't go to a player's Herblore skill. However, one of the rewards available is the Factory outfit which provides bonuses to Herblore training.
Herby Werby[edit | edit source]
Herby Werby is a weekly Distraction and Diversion, with no time limit and guaranteed ability to earn 100/100 points weekly. The main objective is to aid some of Anachronia's Ancient Zygomites in destroying the poisoned/corrupted flora in their cavern. The creatures however are frenzied and are burning both the poisoned and healthy plants alike, so the player must help burn corrupt herbs, and/or stop the burning of healthy herbs. Herblore and Firemaking experience are available.
At level 99 Herblore, taking an ancient herb from a zygomite yields 296.4 Herblore experience per point gained; 29,640 experience if 100 points earned.
Scroll of cleansing[edit | edit source]
The Scroll of Cleansing is a Dungeoneering reward, and can be purchased for 20,000 Dungeoneering reward tokens. It requires a Herblore level of 49 and a Dungeoneering level of 49. Once used, the scroll will disappear, giving the player the following permanent effects:
- A 1 in 8 chance that the player will make a potion twice as fast as usual.
- A 1 in 10 chance that when adding a herb to a vial of water or coconut milk, or a secondary ingredient to an unfinished potion, the herb or secondary, respectively, will not be used, leaving the player an extra ingredient.
Almost every potion in the game is affected by this scroll. However there are some exceptions. Guthix rest tea, guam tar, marrentill tar, tarromin tar, harralander tar, and barbarian mix potions are not affected by the scroll.
Herbicide[edit | edit source]
The Herbicide is a Dungeoneering reward. When in the inventory, it will grind the herb and give the player bonus xp. It will not grind any herbs that the player cannot clean, and will not work on noted herbs.
Temporary boosts[edit | edit source]
|Brown spicy stew||-6 to +6||Freeing Evil Dave||Upon completion of the Evil Dave's Big Day Out quest, brown spicy stews will give a guaranteed boost of 2 to 6 levels.|
|Coconut cream||+2||May no longer be obtainable. Only available to members as it boosts a members-only skill.|
|Greenman's ale (m)||+2|
|Mint fondant||+3||This appears only during certain events|
|Advanced pulse core||+7||In crowded training areas, you can benefit from other's pulse cores.|
|God banner||+2||Can be activated once a day, for a 30 minute duration.|
|Herblore cape||+1||99 Herblore|
|Herblore master cape||120 Herblore|
Note: Herblore level boosts can not be used to access the benefits of Improved Recipe's beyond the current skill level, such as those from the Powerburst potions.
Useful items[edit | edit source]
|Item or effect||Description||Notes|
|Scroll of cleansing||Unlocking this scroll will permanently give the following effects:
||In popular bank areas players will often put down portables for everyone to use.|
|Desert amulet 4||While worn, grants a 20% chance to create a 4-dose super antifire instead of 3-dose, while in the desert.|
|Morytania legs 4||While worn, grants a 20% chance of creating a 4-dose prayer renewal instead of 3-dose while mixing them in Morytania.|
|Botanist's amulet||While worn, there is approximately a 5% chance to brew a 4-dose potion instead of a 3-dose potion. It starts with 5 charges, and one charge is used when a 4-dose potion is created.|
|Varanusaur perk||10% chance to make 4 doses instead 3 doses when mixing Weapon Poison or Antipoison potions.|
|Herbicide||Destroys herbs received from killing monsters and catching hunter creatures, granting double the experience otherwise gained from cleaning the herb.||With the herbicide hoarder upgrade from the Farmers' Market to pick up herbs automatically.|
|Herb bag||Any grimy herbs that are picked up by the player will be stored inside the bag automatically.||Players can get the herbicide hoarder upgrade from the Farmers' Market to pick up herbs and it will be automatically stored in the bag.|
|Modified botanist's mask||
|Botanist's outfit||Each piece of the outfit gives a Herblore experience boost of 1%. When all pieces of the set are worn, the player will gain a total of 6% more experience.|
||When making potions, it is recommend to combine three parts of the factory outfit with the botanist's outfit.|
|Perfect juju herblore potion||
||Lasts one hour.|
|Perfect plus potion||Lasts four hours.|
|Beast of Burden||Allows the player to carry additional potions and ingredients.||Withdrawing items does not interrupt making potions.|
|Herblore cape||The Herblore cape's perk instantly cleans all grimy herbs in your inventory.||No experience will be gained for doing this.|
|Herblore master cape||In addition to the Herblore cape perk, enables the creation of overload, supreme overload, and elder overload potions in batches of 5, using 20% fewer ingredients.|
|Wise||Boosts all experience gained while the item is equipped by 1% per rank, up to 50,000 additional experience per day|
|Voice of Seren||While the Voice of Seren is active in the Meilyr district, all combination potions made there will give 20% more herblore experience.||Access to Prifddinas|
Solomon's General Store[edit | edit source]
Skilling pet (Herbert)[edit | edit source]
Like all skills, there is a skilling pet obtainable from training this skill. The pet for the Herblore skill is called Herbert.
Quests with a Herblore requirement[edit | edit source]
- 3 - Jungle Potion
- 5 - Lunar Diplomacy
- 8 - Zogre Flesh Eaters
- 10 - The Dig Site
- 14 - Watchtower
- 15 - Shades of Mort'ton
- 18 - One Small Favour
- 25 - Heroes' Quest
- 30 - Evil Dave's Big Day Out
- 31 - Eadgar's Ruse
- 37 - Land of the Goblins
- 43 - Glorious Memories
- 45 - Legends' Quest
- 47 - Salt in the Wound
- 49 - A Void Dance
- 52 - Grim Tales
- 57 - A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen
- 60 - Kindred Spirits
- 65 - While Guthix Sleeps
- 75 - Plague's End
- 80 - River of Blood
- 80 - The Light Within
Quests for Herblore experience[edit | edit source]
|The Dig Site||2,000||10|
|Shades of Mort'ton||2,000||15|
|Zogre Flesh Eaters||2,000||-|
|Land of the Goblins||3,000||37|
|A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen||3,500||57|
|A Guild of Our Own||4,000||46|
|A Void Dance||5,000||49|
|My Arm's Big Adventure||10,000||-|
|Salt in the Wound||15,000||47|
|Evil Dave's Big Day Out||20,000||30|
|River of Blood||75,000||80|
|The Light Within||90,000||80|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 14 December 2020 (Update):
- The quantity of items required for Herblore and Crafting tasks in Yak Tracks no longer scale based on your level - all players must now carry out the same number of actions.
- Quantities required for Herblore tasks have been significantly reduced, bringing down the cost of completing them.
- Herblore master cape recipes now advance Herblore tasks by 5 instead of 1 - because you're making 5 potions!
- patch 3 August 2020 (Update):
- Updated potion tooltips that reference adrenaline/special attack gain to specify percentage rather than a value, and to match the other adrenaline potions.
- patch 6 July 2020 (Update):
- The message received when creating a 4-dose potion no longer states that it is a 3-dose potion.
- patch 13 January 2020 (Update):
- The Powerburst potion interface will no longer open when mixing some 3 dose potions.
- patch 6 January 2020 (Update):
- The Elder Overload Potion now correctly appears in the combination section of the skill guide.
- All the Powerburst Potions now appear in the milestone section of the skill guide.
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Weapon Poison potions will no longer instantly run out when used in conjunction with Lantadyme Incense sticks.
- 3% bonus is removed from the Perfect plus potion tooltip.
- Weapon poison can be applied in the bank interface.
- patch 27 August 2019 (Update):
- update 25 November 2019 (Update):
- Herblore's level cap was increased to 120 and new potion recipes and ingredients were added to the game.
- patch 22 May 2017 (Update):
- The level 3 Herblore level-up message has been corrected to mention Recruitment Drive instead of null.
- patch 13 March 2017 (Update):
- patch 15 August 2016 (Update):
- Corrected the Herblore level requirement to create unfinished bloodweed potion.
- patch 23 February 2015 (Update):
- An issue where multi-ingredient or multi-step potions could not be made - or only accepted one ingredient - has been fixed.
- patch 9 February 2015 (Update):
- Players will no longer disconnect while training herblore if their familiar expires while holding herblore supplies.
- patch 12 January 2015 (Update):
- Players will no longer be able to continue adding herbs to vials when they have no vials of water left in their inventory.
- patch 5 January 2015 (Update):
- Gaining level 75 in the relevant skills for Plagues' End is now mentioned in the skill advance messages.
- patch 22 July 2014 (Update):
- Untradeable potions no longer have a Herblore level requirement to drink.
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- patch 11 January 2012 (Update):
- patch 1 February 2011 (Update):
- The Herblore skill guide now correctly refers to the scroll of cleansing.
- patch 27 May 2009 (Update):
- Fixed an issue with the super fishing explosive from Kennith's Concerns that wouldn't let you make it if your Herblore level was higher than required.
- patch 19 May 2009 (Update):
- A few minor Herblore items have been removed from the Assist System as they were specialised items and not particularly suitable candidates in the overall scheme of things.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- When female players are mixing a potion, a vial will once again appear in their hand.
- update 10 September 2007 (Update):
- Unfinished potions are named more clearly, with the (unf) suffix.
- "Identifying" herbs replaced with "cleaning" herbs.
- Instead of unidentified herbs, there are now grimy marentill, grimy rannar, etc.
- update 27 February 2002 (Update):
- Members servers released, adding Herblaw skill functionality to the game.
- The herblore skill allows you to mix a variety of potions, poisons and antidotes. Everything from super-attack potions to poison to put on the tips of your arrows.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Herblore is known as Herblaw in RuneScape Classic.
- Herblaw was included on the stats screen when RuneScape was initially released on 4 January 2001. However, it was not actually implemented until 27 February 2002.
- In the game's fictional history, the skill owes its name to a temporal paradox. In Meeting History, Again (one of the medium Ardougne achievements) the player travels back in time again and talks to the creator of the art where they mention Herblore and she replies by saying that that is the perfect name for the art. This is a paradox as the player only mentioned this because they knew it from their own time but it appears they were the original inspiration.
- Originally, herbs were identified rather than cleaned. All unidentified herbs or "unids" looked the same. The Grand Exchange was also released shortly after this change, so that may also have been a contributing factor.
- Druidic Ritual was formerly needed to be completed to start training the skill, but after an update on 31 January 2012 the quest is no longer necessary.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Herblore training, a guide to training Herblore
- Quest experience rewards - Herblore
- Herblore items at the Grand Exchange Market Watch
- Making money with herblore
- Herblore Calculators