|Release date||9 May 2005 (Update)|
|Location||East of Burgh de Rott|
|In spotlight rotation||No|
|Custodians||Strange Old Man|
|Music unlocked||Dangerous Way|
|Developers||• Original: Graham B|
• Update: Tim C
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Barrows is an area-based combat minigame. It involves defeating the six Barrows brothers, each with their own special strengths and weaknesses. A seventh, Akrisae the Doomed, is unlocked after completing Ritual of the Mahjarrat, and a sister, Linza the Disgraced, is unlocked after completing Kindred Spirits.
Obtaining all unique drops will unlock the Graverobber [Name] title.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Drakan's medallion - This is the fastest means of travel to the Barrows, having a teleport directly to their graves; no charges are consumed if the medallion is used from inside Morytania, such as from Canifis lodestone.
- Max Guild PvM portal - This option is just as fast as Drakan's medallion; however, it requires level 99 in every skill.
- Games necklace - After gaining enough points from Temple Trekking, a games necklace can be used to teleport directly to Burgh de Rott, which is only a short walk from the Barrows. Note this teleport reward is a few hours into Temple Trekking.
- From Canifis - The slowest method is walking through the swamps from Canifis; however, there are several shortcuts for this route:
- The fairy ring in Mort Myre Swamp can be accessed by code BKR. It's only a short distance from the ring to the swamp boat.
History[edit | edit source]
The Barrows brothers were ancient warriors of Saradomin who established a reputation of near invincibility while fighting in the God Wars. Originally, Torag wanted to sign up for the crusades, but Guthan persuaded all of his brothers to join after an incident where he killed Commander Jaycliff in a drunken fit of rage after Ahrim had killed Isolde, his lover.
They launched a massive attack to liberate Morytania from the clutches of Lord Lowerniel Vergidiyad Drakan and his vampyres, after he had established complete control over the continent as of the Fall of Hallowvale. As the brothers departed, a mysterious stranger, the Zarosian Mahjarrat Sliske, granted them superhuman power to battle Drakan's forces. It succeeded, for the brothers, who were in the front line, seemed invincible. They had not anticipated, however, that Sliske had ulterior motives for helping them.
As the brothers and their accompanying army progressed further into enemy territory in Morytania, Sliske followed them until the brothers became weakened. The brothers were grievously wounded in battle near the Great Vyrewall, and thus the army set up camp just west of Meiyerditch. Soon, the brothers died of their infected wounds simultaneously in the army's camp. The army spent several days and nights holding off the attacking vampyres to construct burial mounds, the Barrows, to honour the fallen brothers. The army quickly retreated from Morytania, realising they could never succeed without their former leaders' prowess.
As the army began its return, Sliske cast a magical spell on the crypts, corrupting the bodies of the brothers, turning them into his newest wights, and binding them to guard a very powerful artefact. Sliske's ally Azzanadra had requested for this icon to be guarded before the latter's imprisonment in Jaldraocht Pyramid, so that it could later be used to re-establish contact with the banished Zaros. Sliske, instead of directly taking the Barrows Brothers, decided it would be fun to have them almost succeed in their goal before claiming them, a typical characteristic of the Mahjarrat.
In 169 of the Fifth Age, Azzanadra was released, and, with the help of an adventurer who manages to steal the Barrows Icon from the brothers, re-established communication with Zaros in time for the Mahjarrat Ritual of Rejuvenation. Shortly after said ritual, which the adventurer attends with several Temple Knight allies, Sliske attempted to claim them in a similar way. However, the Saradominist priest Akrisae Kolluym intercepted the spell, sacrificing himself and turning him into Akrisae the Doomed - the seventh wight. Sliske was disappointed that he did not claim the player, but was content enough with a new wight.
In approximately Year 4 of the Sixth Age, Sliske lured the World Guardian into one of his twisted games, using Meg, Linza, Major Mary Rancour, and Brother Samwell as bait. He instructed the World Guardian to guide the Barrows Brothers through a series of torturous tests, designed to force them to admit to and atone for various misdeeds in their lives. In a fit of temper over the World Guardian snooping around in his private journals, Sliske reveals that the whole game was a setup, and that Linza had come to him for protection from the Dragonkin, from whom she'd stolen the secrets of smithing dragon metal, along with some dragon ore. He breaks his bargain with her, and turns her into his eighth wight, Linza the Disgraced.
Sliske, in his arrogance, failed to anticipate that the player's meddling greatly interrupted his control over the Barrows wights. With the exception of Akrisae, he deployed the original six to kill the player, but because of their actions, the brothers turned against Sliske. Sliske sent out Nomad, Gregorovic and Linza to kill the player, but they were all defeated by the player after a long fight. When Sliske "died", the brothers (and Linza) were freed of Sliske's control. Linza informed the player that they would be waiting in the crypts, eager to battle the player again to improve their skills.
Graphical overhaul[edit | edit source]
After the release of the new website and interfaces on 22 November 2011, a screenshot was shown on the media page of a graphical update for the Barrows minigame. The January 2012 Behind the Scenes article confirmed that an update was coming to the minigame, which was introduced on the 4 January update.
The graphical update changed the looks of the area, added mist to the crypt, changed the Barrows brothers from purple ghosts to corporeal foes, and, for a week following the release, gave a 1 in 10 chance of doubling rewards. This extra reward chance ended on 11 January 2012.
Objective[edit | edit source]
The objective of the Barrows minigame is to defeat the eight Barrows brothers: Ahrim the Blighted, Dharok the Wretched, Guthan the Infested, Karil the Tainted, Torag the Corrupted, Verac the Defiled. Akrisae the Doomed is only available after Ritual of the Mahjarrat, and Linza the Disgraced is only available after Kindred Spirits.
The Barrows brothers and sister are very strong, each with very high defence. Each brother and sister also has a different special ability, which is the same as the set effect of the corresponding armour set. Because of this, special consideration should be given to the methods with and order in which the brothers are eliminated.
After killing a Barrows brother, experience will not be awarded if exiting the tomb too quickly. However, the kill will count towards the "Brothers slain".
A similar effect may occur when killing a brother in the tunnels. If a player enters another room quickly after killing a brother (before receiving the exp drop), the brother may respawn in the next room. This will prevent the brother from being added to the "Brothers slain" counter and they must be killed again.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Rewards[edit | edit source]
If the brother whose tomb was used to enter the tunnel is not killed yet, he will appear when the chest is looted.
The standard monsters in the tunnels may be killed to increase the chances of receiving rare, non-Barrows items; e.g. dragon helms. The total number of combat levels of the standard monsters killed affect the reward up to 1,000 combat levels.
Letting be the number of brothers killed (excluding Linza the Disgraced), the number of reward rolls for the chest can be expressed with . If Barrows items are rolled successfully, they are chosen only out of the killed wights' items. It is possible to obtain multiple pieces of Barrows equipment from a single chest.
First, if Linza the Disgraced was killed, there is a 1 in 192 chance to obtain one of her items. If this fails due to failing the roll or not killing her, another piece of Barrows equipment is rolled with the chance . All of the eligible Barrows items have equal odds of being rewarded. If the Barrows equipment roll is also failed, Barrows totems are rewarded with chance. If this fails, the corruption sigil is rolled with chance if one is eligible for one. Finally, if all of the above fails, a piece of loot from the standard reward table is rolled. In addition, wearing a ring of wealth or higher luck modification has a chance to add one extra reward to the chest.
Killing all six of the original brothers is required to increase the beast tab kill count and thus also required to reap a soul when on a Soul Reaper assignment.
Linza the Disgraced's equipment[edit | edit source]
This loot table is rolled first if Linza the Disgraced was killed. The chance of getting a roll on Linza's unique table is 1 in 192. If the roll is successful, there is an equal chance of getting any item, making it 1 in 960 for a specific item. It is possible to obtain other Barrows equipment alongside Linza's.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High alch value|
|Linza's helm (m)||1||Very rare (1/960)||4,496,631||240,000|
|Linza's cuirass (m)||1||Very rare (1/960)||12,107,794||300,000|
|Linza's greaves (m)||1||Very rare (1/960)||14,150,384||240,000|
|Linza's hammer (m)||1||Very rare (1/960)||4,390,425||480,000|
|Linza's shield (m)||1||Very rare (1/960)||6,830,831||240,000|
Other Barrows equipment[edit | edit source]
This table is only rolled if the above table fails due to either failing the roll or not having killed Linza the Disgraced. Only the items of the brothers that were killed are available to be rewarded.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High alch value|
|Ahrim's hood (m)||1||Rare||530,916||7,800|
|Ahrim's robe top (m)||1||Rare||1,601,014||30,000|
|Ahrim's robe skirt (m)||1||Rare||986,939||28,200|
|Ahrim's staff (m)||1||Rare||3,418,636||51,000|
|Ahrim's wand (m)||1||Rare||784,166||45,000|
|Ahrim's book of magic (m)||1||Rare||994,012||45,000|
|Dharok's helm (m)||1||Rare||372,795||61,800|
|Dharok's platebody (m)||1||Rare||1,528,824||168,000|
|Dharok's platelegs (m)||1||Rare||583,560||165,000|
|Dharok's greataxe (m)||1||Rare||485,046||124,800|
|Torag's helm (m)||1||Rare||346,105||61,800|
|Torag's platebody (m)||1||Rare||1,199,534||168,000|
|Torag's platelegs (m)||1||Rare||535,444||165,000|
|Torag's hammer (m)||1||Rare||368,482||96,000|
|Verac's helm (m)||1||Rare||345,654||61,800|
|Verac's brassard (m)||1||Rare||1,290,122||168,000|
|Verac's plateskirt (m)||1||Rare||494,485||165,000|
|Verac's flail (m)||1||Rare||353,093||96,000|
|Guthan's helm (m)||1||Rare||358,279||61,800|
|Guthan's platebody (m)||1||Rare||1,248,086||168,000|
|Guthan's chainskirt (m)||1||Rare||731,215||165,000|
|Guthan's warspear (m)||1||Rare||1,789,797||60,000|
|Karil's coif (m)||1||Rare||360,855||7,800|
|Karil's top (m)||1||Rare||2,337,013||30,000|
|Karil's skirt (m)||1||Rare||965,174||28,200|
|Karil's crossbow (m)||1||Rare||3,513,732||96,000|
|Karil's pistol crossbow (m)||1||Rare||915,278||9,720|
|Karil's off-hand pistol crossbow (m)||1||Rare||435,645||9,720|
|Akrisae's hood (m)||1||Rare||395,789||7,800|
|Akrisae's robe top (m)||1||Rare||1,050,149||30,000|
|Akrisae's robe skirt (m)||1||Rare||625,548||28,200|
|Akrisae's war mace (m)||1||Rare||344,009||51,000|
Standard items[edit | edit source]
This table is only rolled if the above rolls failed. If both Barrows totem and corruption sigil rolls fail, the drop is affected by the killed standard monsters in the crypt: A random number between 0 and is rolled where is the total level of monsters killed.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High alch value|
|Corruption sigil (m)||1–3||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Loop half of a key (m)||1||Rare||10,968||0|
|Tooth half of a key (m)||1||Rare||14,157||0|
|Bolt rack (m)||35–280||Common||5,145-41,160||8,820-70,560|
|Barrows totem (m)||1–14||Uncommon||2,364-33,096||600-8,400|
|Dragon helm (m)||1||Rare||59,015||60,000|
|Blood rune (m)||35–630||Common||25,165-452,970||3,850-69,300|
Lucky drops[edit | edit source]
This drop table is accessed by having a luck modification from ring of wealth or above, and is rolled as an extra reward in respect to the above. There is a 1/10 chance to not obtain a reward even if the table is rolled.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High alch value|
|Shark (m)||4||Common (1/10)||2,400||720|
|Prayer potion (2)||1||Common (3/10)||1,281||68|
|Restore potion (2) (m)||1||Common (3/10)||178||39|
|Super defence (2) (m)||1||Common (3/10)||3,675||118|
|Death rune||15||Common (1/10)||1,650||930|
|Mind rune||60||Common (1/10)||1,140||180|
Other items[edit | edit source]
This drop table is seemingly not affected by the above drop tables.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High alch value|
|Barrows icon (m)||1||Always||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite) (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1 (m)||1–2||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2 (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3 (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Amulet of the forsaken (m)||1||Very rare (1/5000)||477,033||48,000|
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq ar as at au av aw ax ay az ba bb bc Mod Timbo. "Revealing Drop Rates." 27 October 2017. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Shogun's Twitter account. 12 November 2018. Mod Shogun: "right i looked up the 'bug' for you. As long as Linza is dead you have a 1 in 192 chance of getting a Linza item. each Linza item has an equal chance of being dropped. the other brothers doesn't improve or decrease the chance of Linza items. aka working as intended."
- ^ Official Drop Rates.*
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af The chance to obtain any item from the table is , so the drop rate for this item specifically is at most 1/1,568 by only killing the respective brother.
- ^ If the random number lies between 0 and 379, inclusive.
- ^ Must wield or have a Dragon defender or better in your inventory.
- ^ Only rolled if Barrows totem roll was unsuccessful. 1/(50(7-N)) drop rate.
- ^ If the random number lies between 1,005 and 1,010, inclusive. Either this or the tooth half is given.
- ^ If the random number lies between 1,005 and 1,010, inclusive. Either this or the loop half is given.
- ^ If the random number lies between 880 and 1,004, inclusive.
- ^ 1/(20-N) drop rate.
- ^ If the random number lies above 1,011, inclusive.
- ^ If the random number lies between 755 and 879, inclusive.
- ^ If the random number lies between 505 and 629, inclusive.
- ^ If the random number lies between 630 and 754, inclusive.
- ^ If the random number lies between 380 and 504, inclusive.
- ^ 1/10 chance to obtain only these, 1/10 to drop with a restore potion (2), and 1/10 to drop with super defence (2).
- ^ 1/10 chance to obtain only these, 1/10 to drop with a prayer potion (2), and 1/10 to drop with super defence (2).
- ^ 1/10 chance to obtain only these, 1/10 to drop with a prayer potion (2), and 1/10 to drop with restore potion (2).
- ^ Only during The Temple at Senntisten quest; 100% chance if 6 are killed.
- ^ 1/(120 + 8*(number of brothers not killed, including Akrisae even if not unlocked)) (source 50:45 in this developer Q&A)
- ^ There is a 1% chance of this being a sealed clue scroll (master) instead
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Brothers in Arms ( 20) – Defeat each of the Barrows Brothers, dealing the killing blow with their own weapon.
- Barrowed Time ( 0) – Obtained a collection of unique drops from the Barrows Brothers.
- Something Barrowed:
- Something Barrowed I ( 5) – Defeat the six Barrows Brothers and loot their chest. (X/5)
- Something Barrowed II ( 5) – Defeat the six Barrows Brothers and loot their chest. (X/10)
- Something Barrowed III ( 5) – Defeat the six Barrows Brothers and loot their chest. (X/25)
- Something Barrowed IV ( 5) – Defeat the six Barrows Brothers and loot their chest. (X/50)
- Something Barrowed V ( 5) – Defeat the six Barrows Brothers and loot their chest. (X/75)
- Something Barrowed VI ( 5) – Defeat the six Barrows Brothers and loot their chest. (X/100)
Rise of the Six[edit | edit source]
Barrows: Rise of the Six is a hard mode variant of Barrows, with players fighting the newly empowered Barrows Brothers. In return for a harder fight (up to four players may battle them), players will find themselves greatly rewarded upon defeating them.
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
The following music tracks are unlocked here:
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- Some brown oddities have been removed from behind the walls of the barrows dungeon.
- patch 26 November 2018 (Update):
- Players can now access the Barrows through Verac's sarcophagus they had their Barrows entrance set to Akrisae's sarcophagus but have since lost access.
- patch 10 September 2018 (Update):
- Exiting the secret tunnel in Ahrim's crypt via the rope will now return you to the correct variant of Ahrim's crypt if you have completed the Kindred Spirits quest.
- patch 20 August 2018 (Update):
- Killcount and other interfaces in Barrows have received a slight graphical improvement.
- patch 9 April 2018 (Update):
- Removed the ability to use a legendary familiar with an infused BoB pouch inside the barrows area.
- patch 11 September 2017 (Update):
- An incorrectly coloured tile in Linza's tomb in the Barrows has been fixed.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Creatures slain within the barrows tunnel now correctly contribute towards the kill count after using barrows amulets.
- ninja 28 September 2015 (Update):
- The click areas for spades and the rope at the Barrows have been increased.
- ninja 18 May 2015 (Update):
- Elite clue scrolls have been added to the Barrows Brothers' reward chest.
- patch 2 March 2015 (Update):
- Some graphically outdated rocks has been removed from the Barrows tunnels.
- patch 12 January 2015 (Update):
- The camera angle will no longer force zoom in when entering the Barrows mounds.
- patch 5 January 2015 (Update):
- Verac the Defiled is now affected by the Ghost Hunter armour's benefits.
- patch 30 April 2012 (Update):
- The ghostly face of Akrisae has been added to the Barrows Prayer-drain interface.
- patch 7 February 2012 (Update):
- The Barrows heads interface has been tweaked to show the heads correctly.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During the graphical update in January 2012, it was possible to get a draconic visage from the barrows chest, which only lasted a week.
- Barrows is another word for a tumulus, which is a mound of earth and stones raised over a grave, called a crypt in the minigame, or graves, which is probably where the name of the minigame comes from. Tumulus is Latin for "mound" or "small hill".
- From 00:00 UTC 12 November 2011 to 23:59 UTC 14 November 2011, there was an event where players could gain double loot from several dungeons, including the Barrows minigame. This was part of Jagex's bot-busting celebration.
- It is possible for a brother to spawn again when you kill the first one, then rush quickly to a door nearby. Killing the brother that popped up again however, will cause it to count as a creature instead.
- If you attempt to enter with a familiar, you will be forced out with a message saying "You cannot enter this area with a familiar. You must leave this area and dismiss your familiar if you wish to enter."
- If you use Surge or Escape to get into the mounds with a familiar, a message will say "You cannot enter this area with a familiar. You must leave this area and dismiss your familiar if you wish to enter. Your familiar is forced to leave as it cannot remain here." The familiar will be automatically dismissed, dropping everything it is carrying.
- Follower pets (e.g boss pets) cannot be summoned inside the Barrows area. However, they can be brought inside if summoned outside first.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this boss was 12,595 kills.
- It is possible to receive two of the same pieces of armour from one chest. It is currently unknown if this is a glitch.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 February 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Top 20 Boss Killers by Monster Data 13th December.*