|Release date||3 July 2007 (Update)|
|Main music||Barb Wire|
|Strongest monster||Mithril dragon|
|Dwarf multicannon allowed||Disallowed|
|Quests taking place here||None|
|Inhabitants||Various (see map below)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
- Not to be confused with the Waterfall Dungeon downstream.
The Ancient Cavern is an area reached from the whirlpool near Otto Godblessed's house. Players must dive into the whirlpool to enter the cavern, which contains many high-level monsters, including a high level metal dragon, the mithril dragon, and the slayer master Kuradal.
The cavern can only be accessed after the player has completed the first part of Barbarian Firemaking, requiring level 35 Firemaking. After that, the player must ask Otto about making pyre ships, and then will be granted access to the dungeon in order to fulfil the objectives required to make them. If a player dives into the whirlpool before completing these tasks, they will be swept away, losing a small amount of their life points, eventually washing up on the shore near Hadley's house.
A fairy ring (BJQ) at the western end of the lower level can be restored for use with a spade (tool belt works) and 5 bittercap mushrooms. The player can repair the ring by planting the mushrooms on the "enchanted land" spot near the centre of the ring. After it is restored, players can use it to quickly teleport in and out of the cave.
A follower cannot be taken into the Ancient Cavern by the whirlpool - however, they can be brought in by teleporting to Kuradal, or using the fairy ring. To leave the dungeon without the use of teleports or dying, there are two "aged" logs near the waterfiends which drop players off near Hadley's house.
Dwarvern multicannons cannot be used in the dungeon - attempting to do so will state that the cavern is too "moist" to set one up.
Introduction[edit | edit source]
To access the dungeon the player must have learned about funeral pyre burning, in Barbarian Training from Otto Godblessed. To enter the dungeon, the player must jump into the whirlpool off the jetty on the northern shore of the Baxtorian Falls lake. Players cannot jump into the whirlpool with a Summoning familiar. Upon entering the cavern, the player appears on a small platform with stairs to the lower level and can see a mithril dragon off in the distance in another part of the upper level. No creatures on the lower level are visible until the player descends the stairs, so the platform cannot be used for making ranged or magic attacks.
The caves are dangerous, and one should be well prepared before entering the cavern. It is recommended to pack decent combat gear; an anti-dragon shield (or dragonfire shield), antifire (or super antifire) potions, super sets, an emergency (one-click) teleport, and high-healing food. A ring of life may occasionally save players in mortal danger, but the high-hitting monsters have the potential to outright devour players before the ring can activate.
Location and travel[edit | edit source]
The whirlpool entrance to the Ancient Cavern is south of the Barbarian Outpost, at the head of the River Dougne, above Baxtorian Falls. Players can get there by walking west from Seers' Village, north from East Ardougne, or east from the Tree Gnome Stronghold. (From the Stronghold, players with level 37 Agility can take the shortcut northeast of the Grand Tree; otherwise, the more round-about route through the Stronghold's southern gate is necessary.)
Some teleports can be used to get near the whirlpool:
- A games necklace can teleport to the Barbarian Outpost. This is quickest way to get to the whirlpool, as it is just south of the Outpost.
- A combat bracelet can teleport to the Ranging Guild, which is east of Baxtorian Falls.
- Barbarian Teleport from the Lunar Spellbook. Teleporting between the Barbarian Outpost and Lunar Isle provides quick banking during slayer tasks.
- A plain of mud sphere can teleport one near the Fishing Guild, which is south-east of Baxtorian Falls.
- A skills necklace can teleport to the Fishing Guild, which is south-east of Baxtorian Falls.
- Players with level 37 Agility can use the gnome gliders or spirit trees to travel to the Tree Gnome Stronghold and then use the shortcut north of the Grand Tree to get to the Baxtorian Falls lake.
Three teleports can be used to directly enter the dungeon:
- Fairy ring code BJQ, which will teleport near the north-western most waterfiends, once it is repaired as described earlier.
- The ferocious ring, which is a drop from the creatures in Kuradal's Dungeon, can teleport the player to Kuradal (Note: you can only attack the monsters in the dungeon if they are your current Slayer assignment assigned by Kuradal or Morvran.)
- The Slayer cape can be used to teleport the player to Kuradal.
Places of Interest[edit | edit source]
Fairy ring BJQ can be found at the western edge of the lower level. It must be restored before it can be used, as explained earlier in this article.
Rummaging skeletons[edit | edit source]
The remains of several barbarians that attempted to explore the caverns can be found scattered throughout the lower level. The skeletons can be searched and looted to obtain various miscellaneous items, such as ancient pages and mangled bones. It's generally not recommended to search the remains as they often deal rather heavy damage and yield nothing outside of the notes. Occasionally while trying to search the remains, the bones "object" and turn into a skeleton hero or skeleton heavy which attacks the player.
The dragon forge and mithril door[edit | edit source]
In the middle of the mithril dragon chamber is a mithril door. The mithril door can only be opened when the player has a Dragonkin key, the components of which can be found during the While Guthix Sleeps quest; the strange key teeth and strange key loop. These cannot be combined together without extreme heat, and such only the mithril dragons of the cavern can provide it. In order to fuse the key, the player must "tag" a mithril dragon and use a key part on it. The mithril dragon will stop attacking the player and fuse the key with the extreme heat of its breath, allowing players to open the mithril door.
Inside lies a strange orb and three metallic heads resembling dragons. The heads can be lit by casting Fire Wave or better on them, and once all three are lit, they will light the orb in the center. The forge itself is found next to Kuradal, and fills with molten lava once the orb behind the mithril door is lit, providing access to the nearby dragonkin anvils. Re-kindling the Dragon Forge is a requirement of the master quest cape.
At the anvils, players can use a blast fusion hammer to fuse together the three parts of the dragon platebody with 92 Smithing, or break down torva equipment and malevolent armour into praesulic and malevolent essence at 99 Smithing. A dragonfire shield, dragonfire deflector or dragonfire ward can also be used on the anvils to switch between its style.
Kuradal[edit | edit source]
The slayer master Kuradal resides in the Ancient Caverns, not too far from the dragon forge. Players wishing to use her as their slayer master must have a combat level of 110 along with a Slayer level of 75.
She guards a dungeon behind her in which players may slay the various creatures inside if they have been assigned a slayer task for them regardless of the slayer master who assigned it.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Waterfiend, level 107
Iron dragons, level 98
Steel dragons, level 100
Blue dragons, level 74
Brutal green dragon, level 105
Mithril dragon, level 112
Skeleton warlord, level 91
Skeleton hero, level 74
Skeleton brute, level 88
Skeleton thug, level 85
Skeleton heavy, level 89
Greater demons, level 82
Angry barbarian spirit, level 106
Berserk barbarian spirit, level 106
Enraged barbarian spirit, level 106
Lost barbarian, level 84
Confused barbarian, level 84
Abyssal demons, level 98
Gargoyles, level 93
Hellhounds, level 92
Dark Beasts, level 105
Airut, level 122
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Barbarian Scavenger ( 30) – Find all barbarian notes in the Ancient Cavern.
- Mixing in Ancient Circles ( 10) – Restore the fairy ring in the Ancient Cavern by planting 5 bittercap mushrooms.
- Otto the Ancient ( 30) – Find all Ancient Cavern pages.
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When the cavern was released, both the mithril door and dragon forge were inaccessible, although the steps to the forge and the door still existed they couldn't be used, as the door was locked and the steps were too slippery. On 28 October 2008 Jagex released the Swept Away quest and the 2008 Halloween event. At the bottom of the news article announcing this update, a message stated that "A distant rumble had recently been heard just north of Baxtorian Waterfall...". This allowed access to the (unlit) dragon forge, as one of the many teasers to While Guthix Sleeps.
References[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]