The Temple at Senntisten
|The Temple at Senntisten (#159)|
|Release date||3 December 2009 (Update)|
|Official series||Mahjarrat Mysteries #14|
|Quest series||Mysteries of the Mahjarrat|
Return of Zaros
|Start area||Kharidian Desert|
|Combat||NPC combat level 150–159|
|Quest create ID||157|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
Ali the Wise has been talking to one of his 'old friends' - a certain Dr. Nabanik - about your various dealings with the mysterious Mahjarrat. As a result, Dr. Nabanik thinks you would be the perfect candidate to aid him in his restoration of the temple beneath the Digsite, but to what end?
And who really is the mysterious Dr. Nabanik?
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to Ali the Wise at his house in Nardah. Show on map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Medium to Long|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat|
The mysterious archaeologist[edit | edit source]
Ali starts talking about Zaros and his conquests over the world, with the help of the Mahjarrat. He remembers talking to one of his colleagues on the matter, Dr. Nabanik who, acquainted to you as well, has asked for your help. He will inform you that Nabanik can be found in the courtyard of the Exam Centre, south of the Varrock Dig Site. If you ask for help to get to Nabanik, he gives you a Dig Site pendant in order to conveniently reach the Varrock Dig Site. The drop trick does not work to obtain extra pendants.
At your service![edit | edit source]
Outside the exam centre, Dr. Nabanik reveals that he is in fact Azzanadra, the Zarosian Mahjarrat who was freed during the events of Desert Treasure. He informs you that he needs consent and authorization from the lead archaeologist to start reconstructing the Zarosian altar beneath the Varrock Dig Site.
Talk to Terry Balando inside the exam centre. As a reference for Dr. Nabanik, you will now be quizzed on Dr. Nabanik's credentials; any answers will do. After convincing the lead archaeologist that Nabanik can be trusted, he will give you a Restoration certificate. Head back to Dr. Nabanik, who will take the certificate off you and tell you to meet him at the altar. To access the site, he provides you with a piece of rope.
You may use another charge on the pendant for speedy travel. In the Varrock Dig Site, use the rope on the north eastern-most winch and operate it to enter the Digsite Dungeon. Walk over to the ruined altar in the southern part of the dungeon, and meet up with Azzanadra.
To-do list[edit | edit source]
To rebuild the altar, Azzanadra requests you to obtain two rare items for him:
- The Barrows icon, obtained by looting their chest after killing all six of the (original) Barrows brothers.
- The Frostenhorn, from a cold fortress in the Wilderness.
Azzanadra hands you a ruined backpack, containing a battered letter and a heat globe. You must read the letter to be able to continue on with the quest. The letter advises you to bring runes to "draw them to me just a short distance", speaking of more heat globes in the fortress.
You must talk to Azzanadra about each mission, or you will not be able to complete either of them. The order of retrieving the artefacts can be chosen by you.
Barrows icon[edit | edit source]
First, kill the 5 Barrows brothers found in their tombs below the ground. Next, enter the underground crypt via the tomb of the missing brother and find your way to the centre of the dungeon.
Kill the final brother that spawns in order to receive the Barrows icon, along with the regular Barrows rewards. Search the chest to get the Barrows icon. You may use up to 3 Barrows amulets to skip fights with the more dangerous brothers; it is recommended to use them on Dharok, Karil and either Verac or Guthan, depending on your gear.
The icon simply absorbs the power of prayer surrounding it, and does not cause the prayer-draining effect in the Barrows crypt itself, and thus the effect remains after the quest.
Frostenhorn[edit | edit source]
Items recommended: Food, combat equipment and Silverlight / Darklight
Magnifying power[edit | edit source]
The Frozen Waste Plateau contains the Ghorrock Fortress, which is not considered to be a part of the Wilderness, and so once in it, you are entirely safe from player killers and can teleport out of it. The metallic dragons roaming outside are not aggressive.
The suggested route to reach the Ghorrock Fortress is by using the canoe near Erjolf, the Fremennik met during The Tale of the Muspah, at the west of the snowy hunter area (or use the fairycode dks, head west down the mountain, walk north and follow the west bank). Use the canoe to go to the Mahjarrat Ritual Site Cavern, which is marked on the minimap by a dungeon icon. Walk towards the dungeon, but do not go down. From there, head east to reach the fortress. Alternatively, you can also use a Mask of Gelatin to teleport to the cavern, exit, then head east.
Note: Following the 1 August 2022 update, entering/exiting from the east is strongly discouraged due to aggressive Glacors in the area that will prevent the player from trying to squeeze past the ice block, as they must not be in combat to do so.
The entrance to the fortress grounds is blocked by a large block of ice and snow. Place the heat globe you obtained from Azzanadra on the pedestal just on the north side of the entrance; the pedestal will develop an aura of orange light and the block of ice/snow slightly melts. A "Squeeze-past" option becomes available from the ice block. This has no Agility level requirement.
The frozen fortress[edit | edit source]
- Run through the arched entrance at the south end of the fortress and climb up the stairs to the west.
- Run to the south-east corner of the castle, then climb down the nearby stairs back into the courtyard.
- Next to the door, a few squares to the north, is a damaged wall; scale up it.
- Continue to the north-west corner of the floor, past the broken pedestal, then climb down the smashed rampart/wall.
- Enter the trapdoor in front of you to delve into the first level of the dungeon.
Upper level[edit | edit source]
You find yourself in the upper level of the fortress dungeon. The area you want to reach is the south-west corner of this level. Unfortunately, the direct path is blocked by ice, therefore you must melt some of it by using the heat globes you will find inside the fortress.
- Go into the eastern room and pick up the heat globe from the pedestal. Something nearby may freeze further.
- Return to the entrance room, and place the heat globe on the pedestal on the west side. This will melt an ice block, releasing a level 102 waterfiend.
- Pass through the gap where the ice was into the western room, ignoring the waterfiend. You must now telegrab the heat orb you just placed, from this room. Doing this will retrieve the globe, refreeze the ice, and may turn the waterfiend into an icefiend if it has not been defeated.
- Use the globe on the pedestal in this room to melt the ice to the trapdoor, and spawn another waterfiend. Go down the trapdoor, leaving the orb in place.
Lower level[edit | edit source]
- Pick up the heat globe from the floor of the southern room.
- Use the heat globe on the pedestal back in the north room, melting various ice deposits and spawning two waterfiends.
- The crates in the south room may now be looted for 40 law runes, 300 air runes and a hammer.
- Travel east until you find another pedestal ("Radiant pedestal"), and remove the imperfect heat orb from it.
- Exit the dungeon the way you entered, returning to the surface castle courtyard. You may have to remove and then replace the globe in the upper room to melt the path.
Surface[edit | edit source]
- Scale the damaged wall to the west, then head to the north-east corner to the destroyed pedestal. Use the imperfect heat orb on the "smashed globe-holder" on the ground, next to the "smashed pedestal".
- Once you have added the globe, select the "Push" right-click option. A small cut-scene will play, wherein you push the orb down the snowdrift and into the hole at the centre of the courtyard.
- Return to the lower level of the dungeon, re-entering the trapdoor and choosing the option "Yes, carry on from where I was."
Lower level[edit | edit source]
- When you make it back down to the lower dungeon, head east back to the area where the imperfect heat globe was acquired.
- Go south, then west to find and pick up another heat globe.
- Head back east, to the point where the path turns north, and you will see a pipe in an alcove on the south wall. The pipe appears as a small tunnel on the minimap but is NOT marked in red, unlike the other openings; use the globe to get it stuck in the mouth of the pipe.
- Use the hammer on the globe, or simply select the 'Whack-pipe' option. The globe will be expelled from the other end of the pipe and land on a pedestal in the other room. This will melt another ice block and spawn another waterfiend, but will allow you to pass through the passage.
- Run west, along the path, until you reach the south-eastern room.
- Climb the ladder and be prepared to fight an ice demon. If you are low on food, then you can restock at this point.
Icy foe[edit | edit source]
After climbing the ladder, run west a few rooms to engage with the level 98 ice demon. It attacks with both ranged and magic, but as its magic attacks hit harder, Protect from Magic is recommended over the range counterpart. The ice demon is completely immune to water magic. Swiftly kill the ice demon to get the Frostenhorn as a drop.
If you die or teleport away after killing the ice demon but before retrieving the Frostenhorn, it will appear outside the trapdoor leading underground.
If the Frostenhorn does not drop when killing the ice demon with ranged or magic attacks, switching to melee may fix the issue. If melee mode doesn't solve the problem, turning combat to legacy mode is an alternative solution. You cannot receive Frostenhorn if you are in a group.
The big bang[edit | edit source]
Return to Azzanadra however you wish. Teleporting to him via Ali's pendant, the Dig Site pendant, or the archaeology journal are suggested methods. Azzanadra will be in the Digsite Dungeon where you left him, but he will have finished restoring the altar, in quite an impressive fashion.
He will tell you that you need to retrieve a last item from someone just outside, by the winch. Go up the winch and just west of where you entered, you will find the assassin who tricked you during Devious Minds (the assassin may instead be standing near the other winch to the south-west). Talk to him and he will give you the item Azzanadra wants – the relic you unwittingly helped him steal from Entrana. Pass on the relic to Azzanadra downstairs.
A cutscene plays, where Azzanadra opens a communication portal and contacts Zaros himself. As the connection between worlds is established, Zaros's influence apparently returns to the world in a small way. This is seen in the cutscene as, throughout the world, strange things occur.
Talk to Azzanadra again to complete the quest and receive your reward.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 10,000 experience
- 23,000 experience lamp for any chosen skill (level 50+)
- Two 20,000 experience lamps for any chosen combat skill (level 50+)
- Access to a new set of prayers, known as the Ancient Curses. You must read the Ancient hymnal, given to you by Azzanadra, in order to activate them.
- Access to the Altar of Zaros in the Senntisten Temple, located below the Varrock Dig Site. Praying at this altar boosts your prayer points to 15% over your current maximum level.
- Access to Ghorrock - a fortress, inhospitable and dangerous to reach, but where iron and steel dragons, waterfiends, and icefiends can be found.
- Items obtained from the Barrows Chest
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
- The Horn of Chill (Unlocked when facing the ice demon; also possible to unlock by standing next to the central ice block on the first floor)
- Zaros Stirs (Unlocked at the end of the quest after entering the newly-refurnished altar)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- The Temple at Senntisten ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- Curses! ( 10) – Unlock the ancient curses by reading the ancient hymnal given to you by Azzanadra.
- Varrock achievements
- Falador achievements
- Desert achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
The Temple at Senntisten is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Full comprehension of City of Senntisten
- Full completion of Fate of the Gods
- Full comprehension of Fate of the Gods
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- The Light Within
- Aftermath (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Azzanadra's Quest
- Full comprehension of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full comprehension of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full comprehension of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Full comprehension of Evil Dave's Big Day Out
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Full comprehension of Heart of Stone
- Full comprehension of Hero's Welcome
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles (miniquest)
- Mahjarrat Memories (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full comprehension of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full comprehension of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville (miniquest)
- Sins of the Father (miniquest)
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad (miniquest)
- The Mighty Fall
- Full comprehension of The World Wakes
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Twilight of the Gods
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|The Temple at Senntisten|
|Developer||Mod Roderick, Paul Gower, Mod Newmatic|
|Art & Graphics|
|Graphics||Mod Brass, Mod Alex, James W, Mod Zephyri, Mod GiuG, Daniel J, David H|
|Quality assurance||Nicola T, Adam D, Mod Sarah, Thomas H, Liam H|
|Quest Help||Mod Rowley|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Typo when speaking with Azzanadra during temple at senntisten quest has been corrected.
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- The Temple at Senntisten Quest will now correctly state that you need Telekenetic Grab runes under 'Required Items'
- patch 12 August 2019 (Update):
- Dr Nabanik now directs players to the correct winch during The Temple at Senntisten.
- patch 2 May 2017 (Update):
- The Temple at Senntisten's Kudos requirement now appears correctly again in the Quest interface.
- patch 23 November 2015 (Update):
- patch 28 February 2012 (Update):
- The cutscene at the Zamorak temple during The Temple at Senntisten now plays correctly.
- patch 1 February 2010 (Update):
- Quick Chat has been updated to include the curses unlocked from the Temple of Senntisten quest.
- patch 15 December 2009 (Update):
- Fixed several typos in The Temple at Senntisten.
- Added more info to The Temple at Senntisten's quest journal during puzzle phases.
- patch 8 December 2009 (Update):
- Corrected a few typos and grammatical errors in The Temple at Senntisten.
- Added more info to the quest journal for The Temple at Senntisten if you'd lost some of the quest items.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the week of release, the message on the start-up screen was: Guess who's back!
- On the day of release, the spoiler read: Curses! The connection with the rewards has been temporarily lost. Normal service will resume shortly.
- After completing the quest, one of the chat options after asking Azzanadra about Zaros is: "Is Zaros a cat?". This is a reference to a popular theory that Bob the Jagex Cat is Zaros; Azzanadra confirms that Zaros is not a cat.
- If you tell Terry Balando that Dr Nabanik made his fortune selling magical staves, he will say he has heard something about that around Varrock, a reference to the money-making methods involving battlestaves at the Grand Exchange.
- Speaking to the assassin during the quest leads you to an option where he says "There are literally thousands of adventurers born just like you every day!" This is a reference to the daily RuneScape account creations.
- If you attempt to return the relic to Entrana instead of giving it to Azzanadra, you will be stunned and teleported to Port Sarim.
- Upon talking to Dr. Nabanik for the first time, the player says Dr. Nabanik, I presume?. This is a play on the famous quote Dr. Livingstone, I presume? by Henry Morton Stanley.
|Mysteries of the Mahjarrat|
|Rise of Lucien|
|Return of Zaros|
|Lores and Histories|