- Not to be confused with the Ancient Cavern upstream.
|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|Strongest monster||Fire giant|
|Connected quests||Waterfall Quest|
|See map section|
|Infobox • Talk page|
The Waterfall Dungeon is a set of connected caverns under the Baxtorian Falls. The dungeon can be accessed during and after the completion of the Waterfall Quest. Players must have Glarial's amulet to gain entry to the dungeon, as well as a rope to get to the dungeon's entrance. The entrance to the Baxtorian Falls resource dungeon is located inside, which can be teleported to with Dungeoneering cape after access to the dungeon is gained.
During the Waterfall Quest the dungeon is accessed in search of the Chalice of Eternity, containing the treasure of the elven king Baxtorian. During the Roving Elves quest the dungeon must be entered again to consecrate the resting place of queen Glarial. During The Light Within it is discovered that Baxtorian changed himself into a crystal statue and that the statue of his wife, Glarial contained the Seren shard of integrity.
The dungeon is often used as a combat training area. Players should be aware that shadow spiders inhabiting the first cavern of the dungeon drain half of Prayer Points up to three times at the beginning of the fight, which means they can almost immediately drain most of the Prayer Points.
Travel[edit | edit source]
The dungeon is in northern Kandarin, and is entered through an outcrop on the face of the Baxtorian Falls. To enter the dungeon the player must have Glarial's amulet and a rope. Go through Almera's house near the falls and out the back gate, use the log raft there to float to an island in the river. From there, get to the next island by using the rope on the rock there. On the second island, use the rope on the dead tree and lower yourself to the ledge on the falls. With Glarial's amulet equipped or in your inventory, enter the dungeon.
The quickest teleport to the area is by teleporting with the games necklace or lunar spell Barbarian Teleport to the Barbarian Outpost, which is directly to the north of Almera's house. Another option, requiring the completion of The Grand Tree and 37 Agility, is to take the Spirit Tree to the Tree Gnome Stronghold and go north, northeast past the Grand Tree, down the tree shortcut and past the lake. Alternatively th player can run north-west from the Ardougne lodestone, past the Fishing Guild and up the fenced mountain path to Almera's house.
Player can also use the fairy ring code BJQ to enter the Ancient Caverns and use the log there to travel to the foot of the falls, close to Almera's house.
Players with 24 Construction may build a rope rack, providing unlimited coils of rope, next to the raft that leads to the Waterfall Dungeon. This requires a saw and hammer (tool-belt tools will suffice), five coils of rope and three oak planks. Alternatively, if the player has allocated 50 points into the pet track at May's Quest Caravan, Lorehound pet can be summoned, providing a free rope.
Note: Do not attempt to swim across or climb down the tree without a rope, as this will fail and you will be washed quite a way down the river and dealt some damage. This also applies when attempting to enter the cavern without having the amulet (not required to wear).
A barrel is located next to the dungeon's entrance, allowing the players to leave the area, leaving them near Gerald, in the same spot as being washed out, but without taking damage. It was originally necessary if the players did not have access to any means of teleporting out, however due to the large number of currently available teleport options this method of leaving dungeon is largely obsolete.
Features[edit | edit source]
The dungeon has six important locations (see map):
- Initial cavern with shadow spiders and rats.
The spiders drain prayer if attacked but are not aggressive.
- Eastern cavern with skeleton mages, skeletons and rats.
This area also contains crates, one of which has a key needed in the Waterfall Quest.
- Central throne room with fire giants and rats.
This cavern does not need to be entered in the Waterfall Quest but is a popular place to train on fire giants.
The entrance to the Baxtorian Falls resource dungeon is located in the northern part of this room.
You need 35 Dungeoneering to enter, and will receive 3,000 Dungeoneering experience points the first time you enter.
- Western cavern with fire giants, giant bats and rats.
This cavern must be crossed during the Waterfall Quest; the fire giants are aggressive.
- Connecting cave. This contains another key needed for the Waterfall Quest.
- Northern cavern with six pillars, statues of Baxtorian and Glarial and the Chalice of Eternity.
The climax of the Waterfall Quest occurs here. This also where Arianwyn revives Baxtorian during The Light Within. After which Baxtorian reveals that his wife's statue is actually containing the Seren shard of integrity.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Fire giant, level 85
Shadow spider, level 66
Skeleton, level 58
Giant bat, level 64
Skeleton mage, level 19
Rat, level 2
Map[edit | edit source]
Quests[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- The skeletal mages under Baxtorian Waterfall will now retaliate against players and have also learned a few new tricks!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If you die in this dungeon, your gravestone will not appear outside the dungeon. Therefore, it is recommended having at least two Glarial's amulet. This will give you at least a chance to get to your gravestone without the need of being repaired or blessed.
- Originally the entrance to the dungeon used to be a door. They have since been replaced by an opening in the rock surface, however the change hasn't been reflected in the name and examine of the object.
- Three versions of the final chamber can be seen from the dungeon. The middle one, connected to the rest of the area, is used during the Waterfall Quest. The western one is a flooded variant used when the player doesn't follow all steps of the puzzle correctly and can't be accessed normally. The eastern one is the one available after the completion of the quest. When the player passes through a door, they are teleported to that variant of the area.
|Related to the Elf quest series|
|Part 5 of the Elf quest series|
|Part 7 of the God quest series • Part 3 of the Enchanted key quest series • Related to the Elf quest series|