Stronghold of Player Safety
|Stronghold of Player Safety|
|Release date||11 March 2008 (Update)|
|Main music||Incarceration, Exam Conditions, Safety in Numbers|
|Strongest monster||Cockroach soldier (level 36)|
|Inhabitants||Cockroaches, humans and Goblins.|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Features[edit | edit source]
Entrance[edit | edit source]
At ground level, there are three entrances.
- There is a Jail entrance behind the Training Centre, which allows the player to access the jail. This is marked by the dungeon icon on the map and is the only entrance usable at first.
- The main door into the Training Centre, which is locked, preventing players from opening it from the outside, until they talk to the Guard in the jail and go through the entire conversation about reporting rule-breakers. Once inside, going down the stairs leads you down to the same jail level.
- A crevice immediately north of the centre, a shortcut into the dungeon that can only be used after climbing the rope from inside the dungeon at least once.
Note that the world map would often show you at a wrong level of the dungeon. Therefore, it is advisable to enlarge your minimap and reference this article for locations.
Jail[edit | edit source]
When entered through the jail entrance, you arrive at the south end of a fairly small area with 8 jail cells. There is a staircase that would take you up into the Training Centre in the northeast corner. The second jail cell to the left - the only one that is empty and you can enter - contains a poster that you can pull back, entering the main dungeon.
Middle level[edit | edit source]
You will arrive at the southwest corner of the middle level. It can be divided into east and west halves. In the centre of the west half are stairs that will take you down to the bottom level. In the north end of the east half is a staircase that will take you up to the upper level (while the halves look connected to the north, you cannot get past there; you must enter the east half via the southern corridor). That room with the staircase contains a jail door that leads to the secure sector, but it is locked until you pull the lever in the upper level.
Lower level[edit | edit source]
The lower level also contains a jail door that leads to the secure sector, but it is locked until you pull the lever in the upper level.
Upper level[edit | edit source]
In the north chamber, you can find an old lever on the west side, which when pulled unlocks the aforementioned jail doors; on the east side is a rope that you can climb up, bringing you to the surface near the crevice. Once you have done this, the crevice can be used as a shortcut back to the same chamber.
Secure sector[edit | edit source]
In the centre of the secure sector is a treasure chest. 10,000 coins, 2 antique lamps that will grant 500 experience each, and safety gloves are received when opened. The Safety First emote is also unlocked.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Almost all the monsters in the Stronghold are not aggressive. The Stronghold of Player Safety may provide a good place for low level combat training, especially for free-to-play players.
- The cockroach drones have decent drops including red spiders' eggs, limpwurt roots, gems, coins, and runes as well as Herbs for members. They are also a good source of crimson charms.
- The cockroach workers can drop more valuable runes, such as chaos runes.
- Cockroach soldiers are weak to Magic and it's possible to kill them efficiently with a magic level of 30 or more. They are most vulnerable to earth spells.
History[edit | edit source]
The Stronghold was originally a massive prison that housed some of Misthalin's worst criminals, such as the gang members of Varrock or criminals operating over the Wilderness border. It was built some time in the late Fourth or early Fifth Age.
The massive prison soon fell into disuse, its guards wandering off and tunnelling creatures causing problems. For years it remained abandoned, a strain of massive cockroaches making their home in the moist tunnels.
Recently a smaller prison was built in the tunnels above the ruins, and an educational centre built above it. The old prison has been rediscovered and opened to adventurers that look to explore its ancient ruins.
Music[edit | edit source]
- Exam Conditions - inside Misthalin Training Centre of Excellence
- Incarceration - enter Jail entrance
- Safety in Numbers - enter Old Jail
Achievement[edit | edit source]
- Stay Safe ( 5) – Fully complete the Stronghold of Player Safety.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 14 September 2020 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that was preventing some players from completing the Stronghold of Player Safety.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- The report interface shown in the Stronghold of Player Safety has been updated.
- patch 16 May 2011 (Update):
- A flickering issue around the entrance to the Stronghold of Player Safety has been fixed.
- update 9 June 2009 (Update):
- Other small changes concern the Strongholds of Security and of Player Safety, where only those in need of information will be quizzed, and the magic spell icons, which have had a graphical update.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The second cell on the left is a direct reference to the 1994 film The Shawshank Redemption. The chess set chiselled from rocks with a rock hammer and the pin-up poster of Rita Hayworth are both integral to the film's storyline. In the film, the protagonist Andy Dufresne used the tunnel he created behind his poster to access the prison's sewer outlet to escape. The poster in this case performs the same purpose, except the image is of a female gublinch.
- In another cell, a gublinch throws a ball repeatedly against the wall. This is a reference to another film about incarceration, The Great Escape, where Steve McQueen's character does the same.
- This stronghold is guarded by Blokey Simms as mentioned in a Postbag from the Hedge, however, he does not appear in-game.
- The crevice used to just be a black square on the minimap, this has since been fixed.
- Previously, players had to take a Player Safety test miniquest in order to enter the dungeon.