|Release||15 January 2008 (Update)|
|See map section|
The Chaos Tunnels are a large dungeon network located in low-level Wilderness, north of Edgeville. It is in a members-only region. It does not require any quests to be accessed. If players attempt to exit the Chaos Tunnels while opted into PvP, they will receive a warning prompt about it before they can continue.
Although they are directly underneath the Wilderness, the tunnels themselves are safe, much like the King Black Dragon's lair. However, players cannot enter the tunnels through the Wilderness entrances while in combat.
A dwarf multicannon and counterparts cannot be taken into the tunnels; attempting to do will state that the cannon is too heavy to be taken in. This also includes the Dungeoneering cape's perk to teleport into the resource dungeon inside - the option will be disabled if any cannon item is found in the player's inventory.
Dungeon info[edit | edit source]
Entrances[edit | edit source]
There are five rifts that allow entrance to the Chaos Tunnels. These are located:
- North of the Monastery of Saradomin in level 4 Wilderness; rift enters a cave with gargoyles.
- East of the Mage of Zamorak in level 7 Wilderness; rift enters a cave with Giant Rock Crabs.
- North of the Grand Exchange in level 7 Wilderness; rift enters a cave with shadow spiders and crypt spiders.
- North of the bridge between Edgeville and the Grand Exchange in level 9 wilderness; enters a cave with moss giants.
- North of the Grand Exchange beacon in level 9 wilderness; rift enters a cave with cave bugs.
During the quest What Lies Below, a safe route into the Chaos Tunnels is uncovered. Entering the statue south-west of the Fort Forinthry leads into the Tunnel of Chaos. From there, the nearest portal to the entrance, towards the north-west, can be used to teleport in to the south-east corner of the Chaos tunnels, a chamber containing giant ant soldiers.
Dungeon layout[edit | edit source]
The dungeon consists of six "sections". As the name implies, the nature of the monsters are completely erratic and contain various out-of-place monsters such as dragons, demons and others. The chambers are separated, either through walls or collapsed areas that have to be navigated through by using portals in each chamber.
Note that not all portals work correctly, and there is a chance for the portal to misfire, sending the player to a random portal in the entire dungeon. The portal between the ice giants and Zamorak's followers appears to be completely broken and is a one-way teleport from the followers to the ice giants.
Monsters inhabiting the tunnels include:
Bork, level 107, found only in Bork's chamber
Ork legions, level 86, found only in Bork's chamber
Dire wolves, level 46
Shadow hounds, level 67
Fire giants, level 85
Ice giants, level 51
Moss Giants, level 51
Baby black dragons, level 70
Bronze dragons, level 86
Green dragons, level 63
Ice trolls, level 84, both ice troll females and ice troll males
Ice warriors, level 54
Black demons, level 98
Earth warriors, level 78
Infernal mages, level 72
Monks of Zamorak, level 54
Zamorak mages, level 68
Zamorak rangers, level 64
Zamorak warriors, level 61 and 65
Dagon'hai Monks, level 77
Zombies, level 72
Mummies, level 77
Nechryaels, level 96
Skeletons, level 77
Waterfiends, level 107
Turoths, level 64, 66, 68, 69 and 71
Dagannoths, level 78 and 79
Giant Crypt Rats, level 77
Giant Rock Crabs, level 95
Deadly red spiders, level 95
Giant Crypt Spiders, level 84
Poison spiders, level 63
Shadow spiders, level 46
Crypt spiders, level 63
Cave bugs, level 8 and 12
Giant ant workers, level 49
Giant ant soldiers, level 70
Giant Cave Bugs, level 8 and 12
Gargoyles, level 93
Fire elementals, level 44
Dust devils, level 85
Bloodworms, level 63
Jellies, level 68
Leeches, level 58
Possessed pickaxes, level 77
Animated Spades, level 72
Map[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
- Alternative Root - south-east rift. This is also unlocked in Tunnel of Chaos (What Lies Below quest)
- The Route of All Evil - south-west and north-east rifts
- The Route of the Problem - north-west and middle south rifts
- The Wrong Path - speak to Surok at the statue near the Sawmill
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 27 October 2014 (Update):
- patch 15 September 2014 (Update):
- An area at the Bull Ants in the Chaos Tunnels no longer traps players.
- patch 4 February 2014 (Update):
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- patch 9 July 2013 (Update):
- The unused Chaos Tunnels warnings have been removed from the Doomsayer interface.
- patch 4 December 2012 (Update):
- Fire giants dying in the Chaos Tunnels will no longer drop their loot on an unreachable tile next to the lava pit.
- patch 17 October 2012 (Update):
- Players can no longer get stuck behind a certain portal in the Chaos Tunnels.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Chaos Tunnels were mentioned long before their release in the What Lies Below quest. During the quest one of the Dagon'hai mentions that they have many more followers in other tunnels hidden beneath the Wilderness.
- Originally, the warning sign info was the same as Tolna's Rift from A Soul's Bane.
- Sometimes a robed figure known as Dark Squall will appear in the tunnels, randomly teleporting through the portals and shouting. During the While Guthix Sleeps quest, Dark Squall's true identity is revealed.
- The caves with deadly red spiders (near Entrance #4) have several red spiders' eggs spawns. This is the only cave in the tunnels that spawns items.
- Until the 1 February 2011 update to the Wilderness, entrances 4 and 5 used to be located further north, with 4 being north west of the Stealing Creation minigame and 5 found to the east of the level 13 Wilderness Obelisk.
- From 00:00 UTC 12 November 2011 to 23:59 UTC 14 November 2011, there was an event where players could gain double loot from several dungeons, including the Chaos Tunnels. This was part of Jagex's bot-busting celebration.
- When elite clue scrolls were released, the Chaos Tunnels were originally part of the scan locations players could encounter. This is no longer the case as of 10 July 2017, as it has been removed as a potential scan location.