The corrupt dragon spear was released on 15 October 2008, along with the
PvP worlds. It is the strongest and was the only spear available to non-members at its release, followed by the spears that can be obtained during the Dungeoneering skill. It is also the most damaging weapon available to non-members. The corrupt dragon spear crumbles to dust after 30 minutes of wielding. It requires 60 Attack to wield. This spear, like all spears, attacks at the same rate as any battleaxe or two-handed sword, with a normal attack interval of 3.6 seconds.
Players can obtain this item either by trading with another player, or by receiving it as a very rare drop from killing Revenants or the Chaos Elemental.
When a player is killed with the degraded version of this weapon, coins (amount dependent on grand exchange price) are dropped instead of the spear. This is a good method to get a partial refund of the weapon's price as you cannot trade the degraded version.
Warning: Once you wield this item for 3 or more seconds, it will have the word (deg) added to its name and it becomes untradeable. Using this item in combat adds the (deg) to its name almost instantly, also rendering it untradeable.
It is more expensive than the normal version because it is the most accurate (along with other corrupt dragon weapons) and highest Damage weapon in F2P.
This spear is noticeably stronger and more accurate than the Gravite 2h sword, and is considered the deadliest weapon in Free-to-play.
- As 30 minutes contains 3000 ticks, you are able to get at most 500 auto-attacks with this spear before it crumbles into dust. Thus, each hit landed using this weapon costs a minimum of approximately 252 coins.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 22 September 2014 (Update):
- Some errors in calculating damage values have been fixed with two-handed weapons.
- patch 28 November 2012 (Update):
- The degraded corrupt dragon spear now has the correct attack speed.
- update 20 November 2012 (Update):
- Graphical improvements to corrupt dragon weapons, previously only available in the Evolution of Combat Beta, are now live in the game.
- 11 November 2008 (Update):
- Previous examine text "A dragon-tipped spear." is replaced with "This item degrades while worn, and will turn to dust.".
- The corrupt dragon spear was featured in the RuneScape Quiz #5. The question about the spear was: "What is the Strength bonus bestowed by the Corrupt Dragon Spear?". The highest percentage of voters (45%) answered 55, while the correct strength bonus was 60 (which 34% of people answered).
- Following the release of Evolution of Combat, the corrupt dragon spear became the most powerful weapon in f2p. The previous being the Gravite 2h sword. Due to the rarity of revenant hunters in both free and members worlds, along with recent combat buffs to revenants, the spear has increased tremendously in price, surpassing even the Corrupt dragon battleaxe. Even though the prices have greatly declined, it is still far more expensive than other corrupt dragon weapons and a very expensive weapon to maintain overall. One should be wary that the street price may be higher than the price shown on the Grand Exchange.