The dragon hatchet is tied with the Inferno adze for the second best hatchet available, only surpassed by the crystal hatchet. It is a members-only tool. It is both a weapon (requiring 60 Attack to wield) and a Woodcutting tool (requiring 61 Woodcutting to use). It is a rare drop from the Dagannoth Kings: Dagannoth Rex, Dagannoth Prime, and Dagannoth Supreme, all of whom inhabit Waterbirth Island. They are also a possible reward from the Crystal triskelion and the Motherlode Maw, although it is quite rare to receive one.
The Dragon hatchet is approximately 5-10% more efficient at getting logs than the Rune hatchet.
The hatchet can be stored on the tool belt but requires confirmation before doing so as it cannot be removed once added, with a few exceptions: it can be traded from the tool belt with 4,000 harmonic dust to Lady Ithell for a crystal hatchet, and can be removed from the tool belt by Doc for players who have level 22 Invention and wish to augment the hatchet. He will only perform this service once.
When received with CoinShare active, the Dragon hatchet will be dropped as 120 Dragon hatchet shards split evenly among the players and sent directly to their banks. 120 shards can be combined to create this item.
The dragon hatchet's special attack, Clobber
The dragon hatchet has a special attack, Clobber, which requires 100% adrenaline. The attack hits for up to a maximum of 70% ability damage, with its lowest possible hit being 1 damage. The special attack applies a debuff (even if it misses) that raises the affinity of the target by 3 for one minute, while lowering their defence and magic level by 10%.
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- ^ This source has further information about this drop, see the Dagannoth Prime page for details
- ^ This source has further information about this drop, see the Dagannoth Rex page for details
- ^ This source has further information about this drop, see the Dagannoth Supreme page for details
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- patch 12 September 2016 (Update):
- Lowered the base hit-chance bonuses from the Dragon hatchet special attack, from 5% to 3%.
- patch 22 February 2010 (Update):
- You can no longer wield any weapon while cutting ivy with a dragon hatchet.
- patch 1 April 2009 (Update):
- Renamed from "Dragon axe" to "Dragon hatchet"
- patch 17 March 2009 (Update):
- The dragon axe animations have been updated.
- There is currently a glitch where when cutting an evil tree while the dragon hatchet is sheathed, your character will still have the hatchet sheathed on their back as well be wielding one to cut the tree.
- Upon its release the dragon hatchet only needed a Woodcutting level of 41 (same as a rune hatchet) and could only cut logs at the same rate as a rune hatchet. It was simply considered a more expensive, red-coloured rune hatchet with better combat stats (which Jagex actually confirmed in the knowledge base earlier). On 22 August 2006, its log cutting ability was increased to be about 5-10% faster than a rune hatchet, and its Woodcutting level requirement was increased to 61.