The attack range of a weapon or spell is the maximum number of squares away from a target, both diagonally and orthogonally, from which the player wielding the weapon or casting the spell may attack the target and deal damage or other effects.
Players may use a weapon's attack range to their advantage to avoid possible damage from monsters by hiding behind obstacles. Such areas are known as safespots. A player can stand in a safespot and use weapons that allow them to attack from afar to retain life points in combat. This tactic is known as "safespotting" or "farcasting".
Attack range is defined such that melee distance (adjacent to target) is 1 square.
Melee weapons[edit | edit source]
All melee weapons have an attack range of 1 except for halberd-type weapons. These weapons, which also include the Ivandis flail, Thalassia's Revenge, Masuta's warspear, Dragon Rider lance, Laniakea's spear, and noxious scythe, instead have an attack range of 2.
Halberds[edit | edit source]
Halberds function in the same way as magic and ranged: they can hit across various small environmental obstacles (such as chairs, rocks, cages, etc.) allowing a player to safely kill a monster from one square away using melee damage. Note that not all in-game objects can allow this effect to happen so players must be aware when fighting powerful monsters as the game moves the player towards the monster to attack if the object is impassable.
Halberds also increase the range of area-of-effect abilities such as Hurricane.
Magic spells[edit | edit source]
Players using the ice elemental spells from the Ancient Magicks spellbook or Binding type spells from the normal spellbook can prevent monsters or players from moving, then run a few "squares" away and continue to attack. This is particularly useful in areas where there are no safespots or when a player needs to quickly take cover from damage. This tactic is known as "farcasting" and saves a great deal of life points as many players or monsters have an attack range of 1.
- All Ancient Magicks spells that have a multi-targeted attack have an effect range that is a 3x3 centred around the targeted square.
- Tele-group teleport spells from the Lunar Spellbook allow for teleportation of players in a 3x3 range centred on the caster.
- Some spells will continue to follow their target even after they are out of range (e.g. if someone casts teleport block on a player, but they teleport before being blocked, the block will follow the player to their destination).
Ranged weapons[edit | edit source]
Ranged weapons have the greatest variety of weapon attack ranges. Weapons with shorter attack ranges usually have a faster attack speed while those with longer attack ranges usually fire at a slower speed.
The Escape ability will move the user backwards to the maximum range of their weapon.
|Upgraded bone blowpipe||6|
Familiars[edit | edit source]
Combat summoning familiars have their own attack ranges dependent on what combat style the familiar uses. See Summoning familiars for more details.
Other equipment[edit | edit source]
- The Ring of recoil and Vengeance spell are effective at any range.
- The Dwarf multicannon and its variants attack in an area of approximately 40x40 tiles.
- The Oldak coil attacks targets in a 9x9 area, while the Kinetic cyclone attacks targets in a 5x5 area.
Update history[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]