|Release date||7 June 2011 (Update)|
|Examine||Argh! Run away!|
|NPC ID||? (edit)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
In the quest, the player, Jones and 'The Guns' sail out to the Northern Sea to try to catch Thalassus, who appears terrorising all boats that pass by. It has a minor relationship with the three mermaids Tentacle, Urchin and Anemone; these three mermaids rely on the Thalassus for protection from other sea denizens and humans that try to hunt it. The mermaids feed it poison karambwan if it eats something it shouldn't have; the Thalassus will simply spit out whatever it ate when it does so.
Some missions in player-owned ports involve hunting him, and some of them even involve actually befriending the beast.
Hunting Thalassus[edit | edit source]
After the quest, players can hunt Thalassus ten more times with increasing difficulty for Hunter experience, a total of 46,660 experience. To begin these hunts, talk to Jones outside the bank in the Fishing Guild. During the last three hunts, the sea wind will blow and disorient the player, rotating the camera's viewpoint. Players can easily correct for this by rotating back to face north. Once it has been hunted ten times, Thalassus will flee to another part of the sea and is unable to be hunted again.
|Difficulty||Experience||Mistakes||Limited energy*||Compass orientation|
|8/10||5,860||Wind changes compass orientation.|
* If the player turns their run energy off then no energy will be consumed. During the activity, 'The Guns' energy is equal to the player's run energy. The Oo'glog salt-water spring or the Anachronia base camp salt-water treatment can be used for 10–25 minutes of practically infinite energy for 'The Guns' to use. The Endurance relic power will have the same effect indefinitely.
While the path changes for each hunt, the location of the shipwrecks is fixed. This blank map may be used as an easier way to track down the Thalassus. It is recommended to mark each shipwreck which leads the player along the trail.
Salvaging Ships[edit | edit source]
Each time players hunt the Thalassus, they should aim for these items from the wreckage. They can only obtain one set of 16 blood runes, 5302 coins and 17 law runes each hunt but can get multiple uncut rubies, green dragonhides, and adamantite ores.
|Coins x 5302||5,302|
|Blood runes x 16||12,304|
|Uncut ruby x 1||514|
|Law runes x 17||4,352|
|Green dragonhide x 1||994|
In addition, other possible loots are:
|Coins x 17-400||17-400|
|Raw shrimp x 1||721|
|Plank x 1||1,672|
|Ruby x 1||396|
|Emerald x 1||429|
|Sapphire x 1||383|
|Adamantite ore x 1||913|
|Raw rainbow fish x 1||793|
|Raw shark x 1||1,583|
|Gold bar x 1||1,302|
|Gold ore x 1||592|
|Seaweed x 1||112|
|Chisel x 1||255|
|Raw cod x 1||1,571|
|Raw sardine x 1||631|
|Bucket x 1||322|
|Willow log x 1||1,100|
|Steel bar x 1||1,005|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Thalassus throwing Jones back into the boat.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Deadlier Catch ( 10) – Hunt the Thalassus until it flees for good. (X/11)
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 3 December 2018 (Update):
- Improved the size of the Thalassus hunting mini-game interface on mobile.
- patch 26 November 2013 (Update):
- The wind will now affect the player during the later stages of hunting for Thalassus.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Thalassus was named by a player in the What's My Name? competition.
- The word thálassa (θάλασσα) in Ancient and Modern Greek means sea, hence Thalassus.
- According to the Live Q&A- Lore, the Thalassus and his mermaid guardians are creatures from the Eastern Lands.
- An intense fear of the sea is known as "Thalassophobia".
|Fifth part of the Tales of the Arc|
|Guardians of Guthix|