Seiryu the Azure Serpent
|Seiryu the Azure Serpent|
|Release||25 June 2018 (Update)|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|600 / 400 / 200|
6 ticks (3.6s)
|Immune||Not immune||Immune||Not immune|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Seiryu (pronounced Sayr-you) also referred to as the Azure Serpent, Guardian Beast of the Eastern Lands, Anima Guardian and the Spirit of Purest Water is a legendary serpent worshipped by the Acolytes of Seiryu. It is one of the four guardians of the Wushanko Isles and is considered the purest one by the monks, being a spirit of water.
Hundreds of years ago, Seiryu was chained and slowly corrupted by black crystals infused with the power of Xau-Tak. Seiryu would later be freed by several adventurers exploring the temple. It telepathically communicated with them and expressed its gratitude for being freed from the crystals, stating that it sensed another being in the same torment that it had suffered underneath Forinthry, which is now known today as the Wilderness.
Seiryu is featured in the Temple of Aminishi elite dungeon as the final encounter. In Story mode, its health is reduced by 50%, the threshold for knocking Seiryu down is reduced by 50%, and its damage output is reduced by 90%.
Seiryu makes an appearance in The Shadow Reef elite dungeon during the final encounter with The Ambassador, where it aids the adventurers by replenishing their life points and killing all the Crassian ritual keepers before being subdued by a powerful attack from Kranon. Once Kranon is defeated, Seiryu will reawaken and can be spoken to for additional dialogue. If you speak to Seiryu here with the Inert black stone crystal in your inventory, it will convert the item into a Humming black stone crystal, which can be inspected to unlock the Bisdi pet.
- 1 Strategy
- 2 Drops
- 3 Dialogue
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Update history
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Mechanic 1: Basic attacks & survival[edit | edit source]
Players should focus primarily on their ability to survive rather than trying to damage Seiryu quickly, as getting hit by the shadow hands often results in an extremely quick death with very little time to react. Seiryu's standard attacks are not as strong compared to its abilities, and the deep breath attack often heals up most of the damage dealt from his auto-attacks. Note that Resonance does not have enough time to go off cooldown from every deep breath attack as Seiryu's attack pattern will change drastically as the fight progresses, but there is enough time to alternate between it and Devotion, Reflect or Debilitate.
Mechanic 2: Splitting fire stream[edit | edit source]
Seiryu attacks with magic by aiming a stream of purple fire towards the centre of the arena that splits into more streams that hit all players in the chamber. Occasionally, it will take a deep breath (indicated by a popup message box) before sweeping a massive wave of fire onto the arena dealing up to 8,000 magic damage. This is a standard magic attack, so it has the potential to miss; sometimes, it is possible to obtain a second hit which deals less damage, much like Vorago's "missed" magical attacks. This attack can be avoided by running under the sides of Seiryu's head, but that is not recommended as it may leave the player vulnerable to the arrow hand attack as the fight progresses. Vulnerability and Enfeeble will increase the damage taken by the boss and reduce the damage it inflicts by 10% respectively and should be taken to make the fight easier.
Mechanic 3: Shadow tail[edit | edit source]
Throughout the fight, Seiryu also lowers its tail into the shadow, causing up to three shadows to appear under the players, one at a time. Move out of the way, as they will deal damage starting from 1,800 damage and will gradually increase. These are integrated into Seiryu's attack pattern. Their AoE is somewhat erratic as while the pool is formed, it has a 3x3 AoE while the subsequent tendrils have either a 1x1 or 3x3 AoE.
Mechanic 4: Shadow root[edit | edit source]
After the first deep breath attack, Seiryu will perform a "shadow root" attack much like Solak; a flashing arrow will appear over the targeted tile, while a temporary compass indicating its direction will appear under players. Black energy will also flow to that tile. When the energy reaches the tile, shadow hands will rush towards all players' positions at the same time (the compass will also disappear, indicating the direction of the hands). Standing under the targeted tile will ensure no hands will spawn for that player, but it is not necessary when fighting alone. After the attack has been successfully intercepted by standing on the tile, be sure to move off of it as shortly afterwards, shadow hands will appear only on that tile and cause large amounts of damage. Make sure you don't come off the tile too early, or the row of hands will still spawn. Seiryu does not perform auto-attacks while the energy is channeling to the tile.
Sometime after this attack, Seiryu will perform a second deep breath attack. Several auto-attacks after this, he will slightly raise his head and cause an "arrow" of shadow hands to emerge from one of four potential spots near its head. Like the root attack, it can be easily avoided with a discerning eye.
Both types of attacks have a 3x3 AoE and will deal up to 4,500 damage per tick to any player caught in them, so it is imperative to avoid them or players will suffer a quick death.
Seiryu will continue following its attack pattern, and at times it will use both the root and arrow hand attacks, so players must quickly adapt to avoid being killed by either of these attacks. Oftentimes when Seiryu uses both of these attacks at once there is enough time to use Resonance even if it had been used on the deep breath attack prior to this attack pattern.
Mechanic 5 & 6: Black crystals, shadow enigmas[edit | edit source]
Continue damaging Seiryu until it reaches 7,200,000 health, after which it collapses and becomes unattackable. Players must destroy the black crystals on its manacle; each one has 250,000 health (200,000 in duo and 150,000 solo). Jump onto Seiryu's manacle and attack the crystals; for groups, one/two players should jump on each side while the other stays behind. A portal will appear, soon followed by a black hand which slithers back down and begins to summon several shadow enigmas, which move towards Seiryu. Should an enigma touch Seiryu, it will turn into energy and heal every crystal for 50,000 health.
Do not attempt to jump onto Seiryu's shackles until all shadow hands dissipate, as players can take damage while jumping and any damage taken will be incurred in one tick, which will often sign and kill players instantly. While jumping to and from the shackle, any damage the player deals will be ignored.
A common method to deal with the crystals is to first cast Vulnerability followed by Sunshine. Dominion mines work on the crystals and will deal 10,000 damage to them, which significantly speeds up their destruction. As only two mines can be placed every minute, this gives 20,000 additional damage without much effort. While it is possible to set four mines, it is not recommended as the player will most likely be tossed back to the main platform before the second set of mines goes off, wasting them.
Players have roughly a minute before Seiryu tosses the players back onto the platform; this is roughly a few seconds after the final 2 enigmas appear from the portal. This will stun and bind players for 6 seconds. Finish off any remaining shadow enigmas before focusing on Seiryu. In a group of 3, the crystals can be destroyed in 2-3 rotations, while solo should expect 3-4 rotations; however, it is possible to clear them under 2 rotations with sufficient DPS. Each destroyed crystal will increase the speed at which the shadow hands move, so players should be cautious as the fight progresses.
Once all 3 crystals are destroyed, Seiryu is freed and the fight ends.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Two drops are rolled; the 100% drop and a common mob drop. For clarity, the 100% drop table is separated from the common drop table.
100%[edit | edit source]
Seiryu drops onyx dust, unless ancient scales or the chipped black stone crystal is dropped, which replaces the dust.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Dungeoneering token||500; 5,000[100% 1]||Always||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Onyx dust (m)||10–32||Common||173,090-553,888||108,000-345,600|
|Ancient scale (m)||1–110||Varies[100% 2]||515,689-56,725,790||60,000-6,600,000|
|Chipped black stone crystal (m)||1||Varies[100% 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
- ^ Amount dropped in Story mode is reduced to 500.
- ^ 4-8 guaranteed when defeating the boss in a solo encounter. There are 2 rolls; a first roll which determines a set amount of scales, while the second roll modifies it by a small amount. The quantity and rarity of the scales greatly decrease in group encounters. Turning off autolooting from the chest gives a 20% chance for the drop to be double, allowing up to 220 Ancient scales from a single kill.
- ^ Has a base drop rate of 1/300 (solo encounters), 1/1000 (duo encounters), or 1/1,500 (trio encounters), with a threshold of 60 for solo encounters, 200 for duo and 300 for trio encounters (combined solo and group killcount). Example: If a player were to have 101 group and 144 solo (combined 245), it would be 4 thresholds for solo, 1 threshold for duo and 0 thresholds for trio.
Common drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Relic of aminishi (common) (m)||1||Common||4,999||4,999|
|Relic of aminishi (uncommon) (m)||1||Uncommon||25,000||25,000|
|Weapon poison++ (1) (m)||1||Uncommon||8,788||86|
|Prayer potion (1)||1||Uncommon||1,080||45|
|Chimes (m)||150–350||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Menaphite gift offering (small) (m)||1||Uncommon||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Suspicious gunpowder (m)||1||Uncommon||25,000||25,000|
|Taijitu[n 1] (m)||1||Uncommon||72,052.18||72,052.18|
|Relic of aminishi (rare) (m)||1||Rare||1,000,000||1,000,000|
|Seiryu's claw (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Huge spiky rune salvage||1||Uncommon||38,472||40,000|
|Dark animica stone spirit (m)||1||Uncommon||2,891||Not alchemisable|
|Starved ancient effigy (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Stoneberry seed (m)||1||Rare||4||4|
|Stormberry seed (m)||1||Rare||4||4|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Rare drop table:|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Seiryu the Azure Serpent 3D model by Mod JT
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Bless You, Seiryu ( 5) – Make Seiryu sneeze.
- Arc Reactor ( 30) – Beat Seiryu without anyone taking damage from the shadow tendrils.
- Malignant Enigmas ( 30) – Kill 18 shadow enigmas in 6 seconds.
- Slay-ryu I ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent. (X/5)
- Slay-ryu II ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent. (X/10)
- Slay-ryu III ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent. (X/25)
- Slay-ryu IV ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent. (X/50)
- Slay-ryu V ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent. (X/75)
- Slay-ryu VI ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent. (X/100)
- Slay-ryu Solo Kills:
- Slay-ryu Solo Kills I ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent while not in a group. (X/5)
- Slay-ryu Solo Kills II ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent while not in a group. (X/10)
- Slay-ryu Solo Kills III ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent while not in a group. (X/25)
- Slay-ryu Solo Kills IV ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent while not in a group. (X/50)
- Slay-ryu Solo Kills V ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent while not in a group. (X/75)
- Slay-ryu Solo Kills VI ( 5) – Defeat Seiryu the Azure Serpent while not in a group. (X/100)
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 November 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue which stopped a player from jumping on to Seiryu's shackles if rapid clicking them.
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- Player can no longer jump off the wrong side of the platform during Seiryu battle.
- patch 20 May 2019 (Update):.
- Both God Wars Dungeon 2 and Elite Dungeon bosses now award more Reaper points and Slayer XP when killed in challenge/hard mode.
- patch 9 July 2018 (Update):
- Toned down the flashy effects on Seiryu's transitions between conscious and knocked-out states.
- patch 2 July 2018 (Update):
- Cleansed Seiryu no longer attempts to attack players directly under it.
- Loot for non-grouped defeats of Seiryu has been increased.
- Corrected some environment clipping on the hidden stairs to Seiryu's chamber.
- Seiryu's black crystals now have scaled down lifepoints when two or one players are in the arena when the fight is started.
- Corrected a situation in which players might not roll for loot and earn killcount when Seiryu is defeated mid-jump animation.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Seiryu, also called the Azure Dragon, is one of four mythological creatures in the Chinese constellations.
- Seiryu the Azure Serpent's concept art was done by Mod DBarker, modelling by Mod JT and animations by Mod Wing
- Seiryu was first mentioned in joint voyage of The Exile and The Whaler: "The Exile and the Whaler have heard rumours that a vein of azure on Bladewing Crag is actually the legendary dragon, Seiryu. Getting there will be tricky, but they wish to try."
- The day after release, the life points of the black crystals were each reduced to 150,000 and 200,000 for solo and duo modes, respectively, after complaints of the length of the fight for teams of under 3 people. The same update made it so that players who fought Seiryu alone would be guaranteed 4-8 ancient scales as a drop.
- Damage taken in story mode of elite dungeons was reduced from 33% of normal mode to 10% in an update on 15 October 2018.
- Cyansoul Kakapo, an exotic bird native to the Arc, has an examine referring to Seiryu as a 'great spirit dragon'.
- Both Seiryu and Yakamaru share a very similar purpose, being spiritual guardians of water for Gielinor and Mazcab, respectively.
- In addition, both of them were also corrupted in some way to serve a more malevolent purpose.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Orion's Twitter account. 19 April 2018.
- ^ Jagex. JagexOrion's Twitter account. 10 October 2018. JagexOrion: "Futon has 245 kills: You have a 4x higher chance to receive the pet on solo mode. You have not yet reached the threshold on group mode."
- ^ Jagex. JagexOrion's Twitter account. 10 October 2018. JagexOrion: "Correct. We're VERY happy that our systems allow us to re-use the previous elite dungeon code for new ones."
- ^ Jagex. JagexOrion's Twitter account. 17 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 17 May 2019.)
- ^ Jagex. Mod JT's Twitter account. 19 April 2018.