Commander Zilyana, Keeper of the Faith, is the leader of Saradomin's army in the God Wars Dungeon. She is an Icyene, an ancient race of winged beings, chosen by Saradomin to guard his hilt. Commander Zilyana uses a melee attack and a magic attack. She attacks with her multi-target magic attack when her sword glows with a bright blue aura and she raises it in the air. If the attack hits a player, a small wall of lightning will appear around the player. She attacks with melee when she slashes at the player with her sword. Her melee attack is not multi-target.
Both her magic and melee attacks only work at close range. She attacks every 1.2 seconds and both of her attacks hit at the same time (she will only use magic in melee distance). She targets the player closest to her upon spawning, but she switches to the player who has currently done the most damage to her.
Commander Zilyana is located in the back room of Saradomin's Encampment. Players must have level 70 Agility to reach her. In addition, she has three bodyguards: Growler (magic), Bree (ranged), and Starlight (melee).
If blood spells are used on her consistently, the message "Commander Zilyana becomes more enraged by your spells and tries to channel them to increase her own power!" will appear in the chatbox, and her power will be boosted, granting her stronger attacks. This effect stacks (to a cap), so continued use of blood spells may prove fatal. A better alternative is Shadow Barrage, which reduces her damage whilst hitting Zilyana and everything around her.
Obtaining all unique drops will unlock the [Name], Finesse of the Icyene title.
Zilyana and her loyal bodyguards.
|Nothing|4 4 4 4
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 2,486 kills.|
4 items are dropped at a time.
- ^ a b Saradomin brews and Super restore potions are dropped together
- ^ a b Super defence potions and Super magic potions are dropped together
- ^ Exact quantity and rarity is unkown, refer to talk page
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l Mod Timbo. "Revealing Drop Rates." 20 October 2017. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Indicates a failed roll for a Saradomin hilt.
- ^ Indicates a failed roll for a Godsword shard.
- ^ a b Data gathered from RuneMetrics suggests that the drop rate is half than the one mentioned in the DevBlog.
- ^ a b Super ranging and super defence potions are dropped together.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l Mod Timbo. "Revealing Drop Rates." 20 October 2017. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Indicates a failed roll for a Saradomin hilt.
- ^ Indicates a failed roll for a Godsword shard.
Tertiary drop (both modes)[edit | edit source]
- ^ Dropped to all players in the room, alongside one of the rare unique item drops.
- ^ Has a base drop rate of 1/5,000 (normal mode) or 1/1,000 chance (hard mode), both with a threshold of 1000.
- ^ This drop only attempts to roll should you fail to roll a hard clue, should you get this item, there's a 1% chance it'll be upgraded to a sealed clue scroll (master).
Tertiary drop (hard mode only)[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table, but they will increase the chance of accessing the rare drop table and may also improve the loot received from it.
| Rare drop table:|
Rare drop table
||High alch value
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||50,265-61,435||5,400-6,600|
|Uncut dragonstone (m)||1||Uncommon||5,829||600|
|Uncut dragonstone (m)||45–55 (noted)||Rare||262,305-320,595||27,000-33,000|
|Loop half of a key (m)||1||Common||11,065||0|
|Tooth half of a key (m)||1||Common||11,316||0|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1 (m)||1||Very rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2 (m)||1||Very rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3 (m)||1||Very rare[d 1]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Dragon longsword (m)||1||Common||57,594||60,000|
|Off-hand dragon longsword (m)||1||Common||57,249||60,000|
|Dragon spear (m)||1||Rare||35,266||37,440|
|Battlestaff (m)||180–220 (noted)||Rare||696,960-851,840||756,000-924,000|
|Huge plated rune salvage||1||Uncommon||38,530||40,000|
|Huge plated rune salvage||18–22 (noted)||Rare||693,540-847,660||720,000-880,000|
|Shield left half (m)||1||Rare||65,803||66,000|
|Dragon helm (m)||1||Uncommon||58,497||60,000|
|Onyx bolts (m)||135–165||Very rare||967,005-1,181,895||1,104,165-1,349,535|
|Water talisman||68–82 (noted)||Rare||78,472-94,628||136-164|
|Earth talisman||68–82 (noted)||Rare||13,124-15,826||136-164|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||52,515-64,185||22,950-28,050|
|Raw shark (m)||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||310,500-379,500||40,500-49,500|
|Big bones||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||17,884-21,566||0|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||354,960-433,840||0|
|Drakolith stone spirit (m)||25–35||Uncommon||5,050-7,070||Not alchemisable|
|Necrite stone spirit (m)||2||Common||1,426||Not alchemisable|
|Phasmatite stone spirit (m)||25–30||Uncommon||7,975-9,570||Not alchemisable|
|Phasmatite stone spirit (m)||2||Common||638||Not alchemisable|
|Necrite stone spirit (m)||25–30||Rare||17,825-21,390||Not alchemisable|
|Runite stone spirit||3||Common||6,354||Not alchemisable|
|Orichalcite stone spirit (m)||25–35||Rare||4,600-6,440||Not alchemisable|
|Lantadyme seed (m)||14–16||Uncommon||4,536-5,184||532-608|
|Dwarf weed seed (m)||14–16||Uncommon||41,622-47,568||532-608|
|Magic seed (m)||4||Uncommon||165,784||1,012|
|Palm tree seed (m)||10||Rare||51,550||1,520|
|Grimy torstol (m)||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||856,080-1,046,320||0|
|Grimy snapdragon (m)||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||153,630-187,770||0|
|Super restore (4) (m)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||174,735-213,565||8,100-9,900|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||451,980-552,420||5,130-6,270|
|Molten glass (m)||45–55 (noted)||Common||29,205-35,695||45-55|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||456,750-558,250||450-550|
|Yew logs||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||23,188-27,962||6,528-7,872|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||230,175-281,325||64,800-79,200|
|Teak plank (m)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||23,310-28,490||13,500-16,500|
|Mahogany plank (m)||270–330 (noted)||Rare||488,700-597,300||243,000-297,000|
|Brawling gloves (Melee) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Magic) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Agility) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (FM) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Mining) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Brawling gloves (WC) (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Vecna skull (m)||1||Very rare[d 2][d 3]||383,146||6,000|
|Cheese+tom batta (m)||1||Very rare[d 4]||519||1|
|Blurberry Special (m)||1||Very rare[d 5]||18,291||18|
|Hazelmere's signet ring (m)||1||Very rare[d 6]||2,147,483,612||300,000|
- ^ a b c Triskelion fragments are dropped in order.
- ^ a b Jagex. Mod Timbo's Twitter account. 19 January 2018. (Archived from the original on 22 January 2019.) Mod Timbo: "1/1280 if you hit the RDT, requires T4 luck to be worn in order to get a hold of it. Of course there are tons of different ways to access the RDT so it changes massively depending on what you're fighting, what you're wearing etc."
- ^ Vecna skull requires tier 4 luck. Chance is 1/1280 per roll of the rare drop table with the tier 4 luck requirement.[d 2]
- ^ Cheese+tom batta indicates a roll for Hazelmere's signet ring without tier 4 luck.
- ^ Blurberry Special indicates a failed 1/10 roll for Hazelmere's signet ring with tier 4 luck.
- ^ Hazelmere's signet ring requires tier 4 luck. Rarer than the vecna skull.
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
Zilyana first came to Gielinor sometime near the end of the God Wars.
Prior to arriving at the Temple of Lost Ancients, Zilyana participated in the battle of Annakarl, where it was under Saradominst control. She battled K'ril Tsutsaroth, but was overpowered by the demon and mortally wounded. Saradomin arrived, teleported her to the Stone of Jas, and used its powers to heal her otherwise fatal wounds.
Eventually, Zilyana was dispatched to the Temple of Lost Ancients to help a flock of Avianstese who were pinned by Zamorakian forces. Given a group of priests and knights, she also recruited peasants along the way to strengthen her army. In her notes, she states that it was foolish for the avianstese to retreat into the caverns, and was even more annoyed that General Graardor was sent for "assistance". The three groups were already on uneasy terms when Graardor tried to take the godsword for Bandos, leaving her and Kree'arra against Graador and K'ril.
During one of the skirmishes, her bodyguard Growler became seriously injured and she ordered a retreat, praying for Saradomin's aid. The next day, she found three amulets bearing the symbols of Armadyl, Bandos and Zamorak, which she immediately destroyed and began to find the supposed heretic. The next day, the amulets reappeared on the altar, and she realised that Saradomin was sending them, but was confused with their purpose.
Eventually, Zilyana had her bodyguards wear the amulets; Bree took the pendant with Armadyl's icon. Bree eventually went out with several soldiers to check on the progress of the battle. Zilyana heard the battle and mulled for Bree to return. Bree eventually returned and told Zilyana that it was as if she was calling for him. Zilyana soon realised the purpose of the amulets and praised Saradomin's wisdom. She managed to make the enemy forces wear the amulets by making them as if they were hard-won to prevent suspicion. The situation deteriorated even further and now all sides were battling against each other. Zilyana eventually learned of Kree'arra contemplating to attack her encampment, and using the power of the amulet, convinced him to do so. In the ensuing ambush, she claimed a powerful crossbow from his forces. Eventually, the other factions realized the deception of the amulets and began fighting Zilyana and her forces on even terms.
The magus Aeternam cast a powerful freezing spell on the temple, imprisoning the combatants within for thousands of years, effectively ending the war. Zilyana was amongst those left imprisoned. Very shortly after this occurred, the god Guthix established the Edicts of Guthix, preventing the direct involvement of any deity in Gielinor. The departure of the world's Gods and the subsequent end of the God Wars meant that the cavern was forgotten, and Zilyana would remain frozen in time with its warring armies for more than 2,000 years to come. Due to her prowess in combat and her subsequent disappearance, she was considered a legendary warrior among her people.
In the recent Fifth Age, investigations by both the dwarven explorer Nestor Peregrine and the Asgarnian Temple Knights nearly resulted in the cave's (and Zilyana's) rediscovery. In 169, tectonic movement in the neighbouring Wilderness caused large portions of the cave to defrost, eventually leading to the release of most of the cavern's population. Unaware that the God Wars have ended, Zilyana and the rest of the battle's leaders have resumed the battle for the godsword once again, seemingly unaware that centuries have passed since the end of the wars.
Zilyana kills Cres, mistaking him for Guthix.
During the quest The World Wakes, Zilyana and her rival generals discover Guthix's hiding spot after an adventurer sets off an alarm. She and Kree'arra are the first two generals to arrive, with K'ril following up soon after. Zilyana orders the adventurer out of their way, but soon orders Kree'arra to deal with the human after K'ril simply crushes the door and moves forward.
The two generals are then met by a stronger door that neither of them are able to breach, with K'ril expressing suspicion that Zilyana would backstab him, though she states that she would only do so if he got in her way if they reached Guthix. Upon seeing the adventurer again, Zilyana states that Kree'arra was a fool, before threatening the adventurer as they both leave.
The adventurer is able to meet up with the Guardian of Guthix, where they make a defence against the impeding assault. The Zamorakians and Bandosians attempt to brute force through the Guthixian defences. When they are repelled, Zilyana leads her soldiers into battle, attempting to break through Juna's barricade so they can reach and kill Guthix. In the ensuing battle, Zilyana sees the Guardian of Guthix Cres and kills him, believing that he is actually Guthix in disguise. Despite Zilyana and her soldiers' efforts, they are unable to breach the barricade, and she shows disdain when the Zarosians arrive shortly after her failed assault.
As the three parties argue, the wall behind Juna collapses. Due to their arguing, Zilyana and the others were unable to see the perpetrator, who is later revealed to be Sliske.
When Sliske kills Guthix, Saradomin is the first to arrive at the scene. Zilyana happily shows her god that Guthix has died, but Saradomin stops her as she is being disrespectful to a fallen god who only wanted to keep Gielinor safe. She later accompanies Saradomin when he leaves. If the World Guardian decided to simply kill Guthix, Juna will mention that Zilyana left a gift for them.
Zilyana argues with Ilfeen.
Zilyana makes another appearance in the quest Missing, Presumed Death. She is at the Empyrean Citadel, which was taken over by the Mahjarrat Sliske for his grand ascendancy into godhood. Saradomin chose Zilyana to accompany him to the citadel. As she did not receive a invitation, Zilyana is left outside the entrance with the others. She was seen arguing with the elf Ifleen about the slaughter of Saradominist monks by an elven archer, which was a simple scene made by Sliske to believe both sides were at fault. The World Guardian can either side with Zilyana or Ifleen, or alternatively, tell her the truth.
After the quest, Zilyana leaves the citadel when Sliske lets the dragonkin Strisath loose.
Zilyana plays a small role in Sliske's Endgame, where she accompanies her god into the labyrinth. After the quest, she can be found at the top of the White Knights' Castle, though she cannot be interacted with in any way.
Prior to the release of the quest, she could be seen at the top of the White Knights' Castle, looking at the eclipse. She could not be interacted with in any way.
She participates in the Council of Burthorpe, representing Saradomin, who isn't present. She gets into arguments with both Moia and Garlandia, the former for being a Zamorakian, and considering the latter to be a traitor.
Zilyana participated in the Battle of the Monolith, where Saradomin placed her under the command of the World Guardian.
After Azzanadra moved the Elder God eggs to the ruins of Senntisten, Saradomin arrived to help stabilize them by draining their anima. Upon his arrival, he declared that Zilyana would be arriving soon to aid in holding off the armies of the Elder Gods in order to stop them from reclaiming the eggs.
Zilyana fighting the Nodon commander.
Zilyana arrived alongside her rivals K'ril and Kree'arra to defend her god from the onslaught of Nodon dragonkin sent by Jas. She revealed that she and her rivals had left the cavern once adventurers found and assembled the godsword, and without any purpose, the warring forces simply left. She would occasionally drop down from her position to ambush Nodon commanders and kill them before they could advance towards the cathedral.
Concept art of Commander Zilyana.
Older concept art of Zilyana.
Wounded Zilyana's chathead.
Unused model of Commander Zilyana which was created for the unreleased 2nd expansion 'Before The Wilderness'.
Commander Zilyana wearing a Santa hat during Christmas.
When in battle, the Commander shouts several battle cries while fighting the players that dare to venture into her domain. She is voiced by Mod Ana.
- Death to the enemies of the light!
- Slay the evil ones!
- Saradomin lend me strength!
- By the power of Saradomin!
- May Saradomin be my sword!
- Good will always triumph!
- Forward! Our allies are with us!
- Saradomin is with us!
- In the name of Saradomin!
- Attack! Find the Godsword!
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 11 January 2021 (Update):
- Various bosses around RuneScape have taken their Santa Hats off for another year.
- patch 4 May 2020 (Update):
- Hard Mode's runite and gold stone spirits have been replaced with orichalcite and drakolith stone spirits.
- ninja 26 May 2015 (Update):
- An off-hand Armadyl crossbow has been added to Commander Zilyana's drop table.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Hardmode Commander Zilyana can no longer be killed from the blood necklace effect.
- patch 5 January 2015 (Update):
- Various drops within Hard Mode God Wars boss fights now drop in a noted form.
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- Killing Commander Zilyana in hard mode will now count towards Soul Reaper assignments correctly.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- Zilyana's Hard-Mode death animation is now much smoother.
- patch 13 May 2013 (Update):
- Commander Zilyana will no longer slide around after being knocked to the ground in hard mode.
- hotfix 30 April 2013 (Update):
- Hard-mode Zilyana is now using the hard-mode drop table.
- update 14 September 2011 (Update):
- Zilyana has been graphically updated.
- patch 5 August 2008 (Update):
- Commander Zilyana is less inclined to wander aimlessly in the middle of the God Wars Dungeon room while people shoot her from the edges.
- 14 February 2008 (Update):
- The safe spot for Commander Zilyana is removed.
- In the Saradomin Strikes Campaign on Armies of Gielinor, it is revealed that at some point during the God Wars, Zilyana was captured by Zamorak, but then escaped.
- Commander Zilyana received several extra buffs on the release of the Triskelion Treasures update. If she is constantly attacked by blood spells, she will become "enraged". Along with the same update, her magical strength was drastically increased, changed her weakness from Water spells to nothing, and had an increased magical defence.
- Zilyana has her own custom special attacks, made by Mod Chris L, because she was the only original God Wars boss not to be fought during The World Wakes.
- Commander Zilyana features in a flashback during the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest. She is seen facing K'ril Tsutsaroth in battle. As they battle, K'ril gets the upper hand and blasts Zilyana away, critically injuring her. He takes a final look at her body and departs. Saradomin himself comes to rescue her and takes her to the Fist of Guthix arena, where the Stone of Jas lies, and heals her. She also received a graphical update with the release of this quest.
- Zilyana is one of two icyenes shown in-game to have two sets of wings; one on her back near her shoulder-blades and another on her lower back near her lumbar. The other is Efaritay.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this boss was 42,027 kills for normal mode, and 3,384 for hard mode.
- This had increased to 45,784 for normal mode, and had not increased for hard mode by 13 December 2018.
- Zilyana uses a unique respawn animation in her hard mode fight, by gracefully dropping down from the ceiling. In normal mode, she simply respawns as normal like the other original generals.