King Black Dragon
|King Black Dragon|
|Release||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|129 / 86 / 43|
4 ticks (2.4s)
|Not immune||Not immune||Immune||Not immune|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
The King Black Dragon (named Shakorexis by Hannibus) is an enormous, three-headed black dragon. He was the second dragon ever, created by Kerapac's fellow dragonkin Phalaks, a failed project intended to replicate the powerful Queen Black Dragon some time in or before the First Age. One decade later, he was released into the Wilderness.
The King Black Dragon can be killed to collect the soul of a black dragon in an ushabti.
Obtaining all of his unique drops is required for the title [Name] the Last Rider.
- 1 Locations
- 2 Getting there
- 3 History
- 4 Suggestions for fighting
- 5 Drops
- 6 Achievements
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Update history
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
Locations[edit | edit source]
|King Black Dragon's Lair||276||1||Maplink|
Getting there[edit | edit source]
There are two artefacts that send players into the King Black Dragon's Lair. Note that the lair itself is not considered part of the Wilderness, and therefore there is no risk of being killed by other players.
- There is a ladder in level 42 of the Wilderness guarded by four lesser demons, leading to a small area within the Lava Maze Dungeon with aggressive poison spiders. Climbing over a small boulder enters a one-square safe area where you can use the artefact to access the lair. Entering the lair with this method will grant players a 10% damage boost against the King Black Dragon. Wilderness Obelisks may be useful in reaching it. Players should be wary of player killers if planning to use this route.
- There is a safe artefact north-west of the Edgeville lodestone; however, using this artefact to enter will not grant players the damage boost the way using the Wilderness one does.
- Players may also use the War's Retreat boss portal hub in Draynor located next to Death's Hourglass . Once a player receives 10 marks of war they can unlock the War's Retreat teleport spell from Wars shop , from there portals can be attuned for each boss . The boss must have been defeated previously before it can be a portal option.
History[edit | edit source]
The Third dragonkin journal reveals that another Dragonkin, Phalaks, was inspired by Kerapac's Queen Black Dragon. Though Kerapac noted that the King Black Dragon was smaller, less intelligent and weaker, he had the two mate to see if their offspring would be satisfactory. In the Fourth dragonkin journal, the offspring produced by the pair were considered "broken" and "bestial". Kerapac had an urge to kill the King Black Dragon, but he managed to steady his nerves and instead released him into the wilds.
Sometime during the Second Age, Zaros brought the Ilujanka to Gielinor after seeing them ride a similar race to the dragons. Calling them Dragon Riders, they were feared by their enemies due to their dragon-riding skills. Hannibus eventually found and tamed the King Black Dragon, calling him Shakorexis. The two shared a close bond with each other, with the King Black Dragon stating that the two were like brothers for everything they went through. Hannibus and the rest of the Dragon Riders faithfully served Zaros, until there were five Dragon Riders left, which included Hannibus.
Due to Zaros' failure to fulfil his promise, two of the Dragon Riders, Morvannon and Apropos wanted to side with Zamorak, while the other two, Ablenkian and Balustan, stood with Zaros, their dragons supporting their decision by breathing fire into the ground or air. Only Hannibus and the King Black Dragon remained neutral, Hannibus fearing that supporting either side would lead to their extinction. Following their "betrayal", the Dragon Riders were killed by their supporting side due to confusion, leaving only Hannibus and the King Black Dragon. Zarosian forces attempted to kill the pair for being supposed traitors, but they were able to elude their pursuers and arrived at the cave where Zaros had brought the Ilujanka to Gielinor. Upon learning that the Mahjarrat Enakhra was after him, Hannibus reluctantly left the King Black Dragon to increase his odds of survival. The King Black Dragon soon turned the cave into his lair, existing well to the present day.
Sometime after being left alone, the white dragon Therragorn came to him. Therragorn befriended and asked him to help hide her from hunters, who were killing off the white dragons for armour. He assisted by hiding her in some ruins in the Dragonkin Laboratory, but the caverns he placed her in were not linked to the laboratory itself.
The King Black Dragon was not the only one of his kind, as Phalaks would develop Verak Lith, the King Black Dragon's successor.
A Visit by Bob and Neite[edit | edit source]
Bob, a reincarnation of Robert the Strong, entered a relationship with Neite. In one of their travels, they visited the King Black Dragon, who was one of Bob's friends. The King Black Dragon told Bob that he had been doing the same activity as always; dealing with adventurers trying to kill him. At this point, R4ng3rNo0b889 barged in and attempted to kill him, but he did no damage and the King Black Dragon immediately scorched him to a crisp.
A Visit by Hannibus[edit | edit source]
Hannibus, freed by an adventurer, desired to return to his home planet of Iaia. However, he had no idea on how to do so, as he did not want to get involved with the gods again, nor could teleportation and fairy rings bring him back home. Hannibus accompanied the adventurer by looking into both the mysterious statues and dragons themselves, but did not find any result. However, Hannibus was able to recollect memories of a white dragon that his mount had helped hide, and decided to pay a visit to him.
Hannibus greeted his former mount, before the King Black Dragon noticed the adventurer alongside him, either recognizing them from previous encounters or as food if they had not fought before. Regardless, Hannibus asked him about a white dragon, which he affirmed he knew and took them out to the location where he hid Therragorn. His presence ensured that the two would not be attacked, and upon arriving, unlocked the entrance with a Dragonkin phrase before leaving.
Visited Again[edit | edit source]
Hannibus and the World Guardian, seeking to stop The Ambassador from unleashing a malevolent entity on Gielinor, visited the King Black Dragon again. They knew of the Ilujankan plight, surprised that Hannibus had returned. Hannibus asked them to help fight the Ambassador, and they agreed. Being one of the very few dragons with self-control, Hannibus asked his former mount if he knew of any other dragons with such capability. He did not, having stayed in his lair for thousands of years and keeping himself isolated from draconic activity. They soon departed to Daemonheim peninsula to ready themselves for battle, while Hannibus and the World Guardian visited Mr. Mordaut.
The King Black Dragon worked with Gorvek in taking out the Ambassador's cannons.
Suggestions for fighting[edit | edit source]
Drops[edit | edit source]
100% drop[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
Charms [edit | edit source]
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 1,231 kills.|
4 items are dropped at a time.
Main drop[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Mystic cloth||1–3 (noted)||Uncommon||6,661-19,983||2,400-7,200|
|Blood rune (m)||30–50||Common||16,860-28,100||3,300-5,500|
|Yew logs||50; 80 (noted)||Common||12,850-20,560||4,800-7,680|
|Magic logs (m)||10 (noted)||Common||4,170||1,920|
|Law rune||50; 90||Uncommon||19,050-34,290||3,750-6,750|
|Rune arrow||50; 75; 100||Uncommon||7,550-15,100||15,300-30,600|
|Medium plated rune salvage||1||Uncommon||22,656||24,000|
|Huge plated rune salvage||1||Uncommon||38,654||40,000|
|Medium bladed rune salvage||1||Uncommon||22,705||24,000|
|Large bladed rune salvage||1||Uncommon||30,660||32,000|
|Gold stone spirit||50||Uncommon||3,900||Not alchemisable|
|Silver stone spirit||100||Uncommon||6,800||Not alchemisable|
|Runite stone spirit||2–3||Uncommon||3,236-4,854||Not alchemisable|
|Adamantite stone spirit||5–8||Uncommon||185-296||Not alchemisable|
|Uncut ruby||6 (noted)||Rare||10,488||360|
|Dragon helm (m)||1||Rare||58,752||60,000|
|Dragon Rider boots (m)||1||1/2000||1,062,429||7,200|
|Dragon Rider gloves (m)||1||1/2000||563,937||7,200|
|Dragon kite ornament kit (sp) (m)||1||1/2000||10,546||6,000|
|Dragon kite ornament kit (or) (m)||1||1/2000||17,075||6,000|
|Black dragon egg (unchecked) (m)||1||1/2000[d 1]||276,679||Not alchemisable|
Tertiary drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Black dragon tail-bone (m)||1||Uncommon[d 1]||0||0|
|King black dragon head (m)||1||1/128||30,000||30,000|
|Starved ancient effigy (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Court summons (m)||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard) (m)||1||10/1280||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Last riders||1||Very rare[d 2][d 3]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite) (m)||1||4/1280[d 4]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|King black dragon scale||1||Very rare[d 5]||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
- ^ Tail-bone drops only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list
- ^ Last Riders is dropped to all players (regardless of whether they participate in the kill, or are even in the room). It remains for approximately 30 seconds before disappearing. Base drop rate of 1/1,000, but after 1,000 kill count, each kill will decrease the denominator by 1, so it is a guaranteed drop on a solo kill with a kill count of at least 2,000.
- ^ Having a Lorehound summoned with the Lore Helper perk increases the drop rate.
- ^ This drop only attempts to roll should you fail to roll a hard clue, should you get this item, there's a 1% chance it'll be upgraded to a sealed clue scroll (master).
- ^ Has a base drop rate of 1/2,500 with a threshold of 500.
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items are not required to access the table but they will increase the chance of accessing the rare drop table and may also improve the loot received from it.
|Rare drop table:|
Universal drops[edit | edit source]
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Mimic kill token (m)||1||Very rare||24,192||Not alchemisable|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- One Final Ride ( 20) – Find and read the Last Riders book, dropped by the King Black Dragon.
- Changing of the Guard ( 20) – Defeat the King Black Dragon while wearing black dragonhide in six equipment slots. Can only be completed in a solo instance.
- Loyal Subject ( 20) – Get the King Black Dragon to fully degrade a mole anti-dragon shield. Can only be completed in a solo instance.
- How to shame your Dragon ( 0) – Obtained a collection of unique drops from the King Black Dragon.
- Three Heads are Deader than One:
- Three Heads are Deader than One I ( 5) – Defeat the King Black Dragon. (X/5)
- Three Heads are Deader than One II ( 5) – Defeat the King Black Dragon. (X/10)
- Three Heads are Deader than One III ( 5) – Defeat the King Black Dragon. (X/25)
- Three Heads are Deader than One IV ( 5) – Defeat the King Black Dragon. (X/50)
- Three Heads are Deader than One V ( 5) – Defeat the King Black Dragon. (X/75)
- Three Heads are Deader than One VI ( 5) – Defeat the King Black Dragon. (X/100)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
King Black Dragon statue in a Clan Citadel
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 January 2021 (Update):
- Various bosses around RuneScape have taken their Santa Hats off for another year.
- patch 3 August 2020 (Update):
- Players can no longer enter the King Black Dragon boss encounter while having the teleport block debuff active.
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Changed the warning message at the Edgeville artefact to reflect the updated combat level recommendation for King Black Dragon.
- ninja 3 April 2018 (Update):
- King Black Dragon and Giant Mole now have boss health bars during their encounters.
- patch 2 October 2017 (Update):
- Auto-retaliate now functions correctly when avoiding damage from dragon fire from the King Black Dragon.
- patch 6 March 2017 (Update):
- We have added bad luck mitigation to some lore drops so that cumulative monster kills shift the drop rate towards 100% once a certain threshold has been reached. This affects drops which have a drop rate of 1/100 (or worse). The affected drop from the King Black Dragon is the Last Riders book. This does not affect group kills. Players can still gain the kill count in a group fight, but the 100% drop will only occur in a fight on your own, if the threshold has been met.
- patch 17 July 2017 (Update):
- ninja 17 October 2016 (Update):
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- King Black Dragon now reduces Divination when using his Shock and Weaken attack.
- patch 16 March 2015 (Update):
- It is now possible to use surge in the King Black Dragon boss instance.
- patch 29 September 2014 (Update):
- The recommended combat level has been updated for the King Black Dragon teleport artefact.
- patch 13 November 2012 (Update):
- Fixed a typo in the Adventurer's Log when obtaining Dragon rider gear from the KBD.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats, One of a Kind and 2015 Christmas event.
- Multiple King Black Dragons exist, as shown with the presence of Verak Lith and Verak Little.
- The dragonkin research book refers to the King Black Dragon as "Verak Kreath Draekun", which is "King Black Dragon" translated literally into the dragonkin language.
- For a while after the Evolution of Combat, despite being a boss monster, the King Black Dragon could be tagged, allowing the player who hit him first to receive the drop even if they did little or no damage. This has been fixed.
- It was revealed in the April 2011 BTS that the Kalphite Queen and the King Black Dragon were due to be married on 29 April 2011, to coincide with the wedding of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton in the United Kingdom. However this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- The examine text "The biggest, meanest dragon around" wasn't true after Queen Black Dragon was released, as the Queen Black Dragon is much, much bigger and stronger than the King Black Dragon. His examine was changed due to this, to "Was the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- A while after the Queen Black Dragon was released, when you killed a King Black Dragon, the Adventurer's log said: "I killed a King Black Dragon, the biggest, meanest dragon around." After its graphical update the adventurer's log was also changed to "I killed a King Black Dragon, which was once the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- According to his Top Trumps card, he is 10 meters tall and is over 13,000 years old, meaning he was created in or before the First Age, assuming that the commonly assumed lengths of the ages are accurate.
- The King Black Dragon was made available to free-to-play players on 29 February 2016. He is currently the only monster to drop dragon bones outside of Daemonheim or the Wilderness on free-to-play worlds.
- He used to have a damage cap of 5,000 for a normal attack, and 6,000 on a critical hit.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this boss was 48,352 kills.
- His left head breathes freezing dragonfire, his middle head breathes shocking dragonfire, and his right head breathes poisonous dragonfire (from his perspective). All three heads breathe regular dragonfire as one.
- Despite being apparent "royalty", the King Black Dragon does not drop royal dragonhide.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b c d Mod Shauny. Dev Blog: Revealing Drop Rates. 3 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 3 November 2017.)
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 9 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 31 October 2020.) Mod Rowley: "Recent article is incorrect on this point. As it was previously stated/how you understand it is correct. Guaranteed on 2,000th solo kill."
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. Reddit. 2 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 25 January 2019.) Mod Shauny: "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 20 Boss Killers by Monster (Data: 13th December 2018). Reddit. 8 January 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2020.) Mod Shauny: "[link to a spreadsheet]"
|This template is about King Black Dragon|
|Postbag from the Hedge issues|